Thread: XTS 3000 repair or depot

MOTOROLANUT No Longer Registered

Default XTS 3000 repair or depot

Anyone know what motorola charges for Depot work?

I have a Borked XTS3000 II, that I need repaired, unless someone here on the board does repairs??

Thanks

Since its out of support, they will no longer accept the radio for repairs..

Thanks

define Borked?

"Borked" means It turns on, green power led stays lit for around 30 seconds, had a "m" dealer install a new display to replace old missing pixel display, but the new display is not working, now no self test either.

Anybody here a XTS3000 wiz?
    Last edited by MOTOROLANUT; Nov 02, 2012 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks

What is the host version? It may be too bold to support the new display.

Unknown, just tried to read it with my 5.03 and now get comm failures, and my old saved codeplug lists unknown host dsp.

Thanks

Not to state the obvious but if an authorized dealer repaired the radio and it hasn't worked since, isn't the solution to go back to the dealer and have them fix their "Bork Up"?

If it was done recently there should be warranty on the new parts at least?
    Andrew

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

You need a firmware update, as JMR said. The new display will break the radio; i.e. keep it from waking up properly as you describe when the radio has old firmware in it. The ONLY solution is to REMOVE the display temporarily, wake up the radio and upgrade the firmware (pretend it's a Model I for a while), then REINSTALL the display. Trust me, I have seen this a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    You need a firmware update, as JMR said. The new display will break the radio; i.e. keep it from waking up properly as you describe when the radio has old firmware in it. The ONLY solution is to REMOVE the display temporarily, wake up the radio and upgrade the firmware (pretend it's a Model I for a while), then REINSTALL the display. Trust me, I have seen this a number of times.
    The dealer was supposed to upgrade the firmware when the display was installed but apparently could not do the firmware. I don't blame the dealer, I believe they tried everything the could. Looks like I have a paperweight since mother "m" no longer repairs 3000's. I was hoping to find a tech here on the forum that could look at it.

Thanks

It can be fixed. There are plenty of qualified people here on the board that can do it. Not a big deal. Relax

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
    The dealer was supposed to upgrade the firmware when the display was installed but apparently could not do the firmware. I don't blame the dealer, I believe they tried everything the could.
    You SHOULD blame the dealer! I don't think that you're understanding the issue here. There are two different part numbers for the display module. The newer one - the only one recently available unless he had a really old one in stock - will ONLY work on radios with firmware version 7.22.01 or higher. He should know this as it is well documented.

In other words, if he replaced the display module, yet did not update the firmware, then he clearly and predictably borked the radio. If for whatever reason he couldn't update the firmware, then he probably should have put the old display back in and at least you would have a working radio.

Old display was toast missing pixels and then had a torn flex, for whatever his reason was he could not update the firmware prior to the new display install. Either way the un-borking of the newly borked radio is beyond his capabilities. So unfortunately I must cut my losses and NOT beat a dead horse. Arguing with the dealer will not fix my radio, it was fine when I sent it to him minus the bad display . It already came back to me missing the chassis o ring from the dealer..Geeze

I have already wasted over six months on this project with him. I am sending this radio out to another forum member to look at and see if it is fixable otherwise I am stuck with a door stop...