Thread: MTS2000 Poor Receive

Thanks

Default MTS2000 Poor Receive

My favorite, carry it almost every day radio (Model II 800Mhz MTS2000) recently took a crap on me. I put my radio in a convertacom for the first time and noticed after I pulled it out that my RX was crap. I've swapped antennas with no luck, put the radio up on a service monitor and noticed that RX was way down (didn't hear anything below -82Dbm via the SMA connector) I opened up the radio and best I can tell is that the little push button module on the accessory port that gets depressed when a speaker mic with an external antenna is connected has crapped the bed. If I stuck a pen in and depressed the button the radio would receive wonderfully at various detent points, but was deaf at other points. I used some compressed air to try and clean the button housing out, checked the solder job as well as the RF Boards connection to the antenna jack. I keep coming back to the little push button. Has anyone experienced a similar issue with the MTS? Does anyone know the part number/source for the push button assembly? Would it just be cheaper/easier to toss this radio and get a new one? Maybe look for another 800Mhz RF Board? Anyone have a cheap solution for this issue (I hate remote speaker mics and refuse to use one so that takes that solution out of the equation) Attached are pics of what I think the problem is (pic one its the white thing near the top pic two its top right corner with writing on it)... Thanks in advance guys.

photo(16).jpg photo(15).jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 664 Posts

Here's a cheaper solution than tossing the RF deck - if you don't EVER want to use a public-safety speaker mic (the one with the antenna on the top) then simply carefully break off the sheet metal housing that encloses the switch assembly, removing the plunger and spring in the process. What you will be left with is a printed circuit board that is soldered to the main radio PCB and forms the back of the switch assy. Use an ohmmeter to determine which pad goes to the SMA on the radio, and solder bridge that pad (or use a wire-wrap wire jumper) and connect the switch straight through. There are 3 tracks on the switch PCB, one long one (common) and the other two are shorter, one goes to the external SMA the other goes to one of the two contacts above the switch plunger. Connect the common track (goes back into the RF deck TX/RX circuit) to the one that goes to the SMA center pin and bypass the piece of crap entirely.

Breaking off the switch is what takes balls here. They gave up on this whole POS assembly and went to external RF switching with the ASTRO25 line. Eventually, the later Jedi's like the MTX8000 and MTX9000 radios did not even have the switch and did not support PS speaker/mics.

Thanks

I didn't even think about that but sounds like it'll work, I'll have to try and gather my will to dig deeper into this radio and break that switch off, with my luck I'll end up destroying the radio for good.

Thanks

Just be carefull and gentle. I have modded numerous radios this way. The switch is a poor design. You can try contact cleaner first sometimes it just dirty contacts from the fact the switch is so rarely used.

Thanks

No joy on the contact cleaner, looks like I'm going in for surgery...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 341 Posts

If your surgery was not successful, I have a spare 800MHz RF board from a working pull with a good switch you can have for the cost of shipping from Gawga. It was from a 1998 era MTS2000, part number on the board is NUF6500B, 1998-33 stamped on PA block. You can have the controller too. Both work, radio was an MTS2000 mod II flashed for H38. PM me if you want them.

scsttrooper No Longer Registered

It might help to simply "work" the action on the button. They often get slightly stuck and as previously mentioned they are a bad design.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

Moved to Service & Repair forum.