Thread: APX4000 Single Knob to two knob Conversion

Thanks

Default APX4000 Single Knob to two knob Conversion

I was just reading on another site about someone converting a single knob 4K to a two knob. No one ever answered as to what it takes to achieve this.

has anyone here done that before? What parts are required? Is it just a housing swap and flashcode upgrade? Or is there more to it?

I donít even have a 4K but it is an interesting point. I also never understood why they went with a single knob design in the first place.

Thanks

There's got to be more to it than just that... it's not a flashcode option. We have a user with a good size fleet of 4000s. You can't clone the existing codeplug for the one-knob units into a two-knob unit, even though the Used FLASHcode options are the same.

The only thing I've found is on the two-knob, in the Codeplug Feature Set window in CPS, there is an option under Extended Feature Set called APX 2-Knob Control, and it's set to Permanently Enabled.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kj553 View Post
    I also never understood why they went with a single knob design in the first place.
    Supposedly it was to provide the smallest P25 radio available. The single-knob APX4000 is just a tad larger than an XPR7550. The idea was that administrative personnel could carry a smaller, lighter weight radio, and the field personnel would carry the APX6000. And, since administrative personnel are dumb, the single-knob allowed them to easily adjust the volume but made it harder than hell to change talkgroups by mistake. Now that the XH version is out, that marketing model has changed. I personally like the single-knob version but it's an acquired taste.