Thread: MOTOTRBO Repeater questions

Thanks

Default MOTOTRBO Repeater questions

We have a department that that wishes to enhance their current VHF analog repeater communications for more capacity and capability. I suggested they should consider the MOTOTRBO system. I am curious what is the best option for a TRBO repeater to be used at a fairly dense communications site with 3 towers and many systems operational.

I am thinking they should consider MTR3000, SLR5700, or SLR8000, have the SLR systems proven to be reliable and cost effective. I have experience with the MTR3000, and older problematic XPR8300/8400. They could probably get by with the 50W repeater but I am thinking maybe the 100W may be the better choice. They wouldn't use any advanced features just 2 slots and about 6 talkgroups.

Would I be best to stick with MTR3000 or maybe consider the new technology SLR series?

Thanks

Thanks

The MTR would be EOL if it was not for the 800/900 issues, and on a large LCP we HAD to replace the Master MTR with an SLR-8000 due to memory and performance constraints in the older MTR models.

I would go with the SLRs at the beginning of Life, two factors in deciding between the two SLR mdoels do you have the Rack Space and Do you need the 100W out ..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dorf411 View Post
    We have a department that that wishes to enhance their current VHF analog repeater communications for more capacity and capability. I suggested they should consider the MOTOTRBO system. I am curious what is the best option for a TRBO repeater to be used at a fairly dense communications site with 3 towers and many systems operational.

I am thinking they should consider MTR3000, SLR5700, or SLR8000, have the SLR systems proven to be reliable and cost effective. I have experience with the MTR3000, and older problematic XPR8300/8400. They could probably get by with the 50W repeater but I am thinking maybe the 100W may be the better choice. They wouldn't use any advanced features just 2 slots and about 6 talkgroups.

Would I be best to stick with MTR3000 or maybe consider the new technology SLR series?

Thanks
    Unless they now have a decent VHF repeater pair, you might think about a move to UHF where coordination and performance will be better.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    Unless they now have a decent VHF repeater pair, you might think about a move to UHF where coordination and performance will be better.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
    We did discuss the option to go UHF but I feel sticking with VHF they maintain the ability to have some additional VHF analog channels for park interoperability if needed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phonebuff View Post
    The MTR would be EOL if it was not for the 800/900 issues, and on a large LCP we HAD to replace the Master MTR with an SLR-8000 due to memory and performance constraints in the older MTR models.

I would go with the SLRs at the beginning of Life, two factors in deciding between the two SLR mdoels do you have the Rack Space and Do you need the 100W out ..
    Thanks, they probably don't really need a full 100W. The terrain is mountainous so I am sure the portable to repeater talk in range is a bigger limiting factor than the repeater talk out range. Their current analog system is a 100W quantar that goes through a multi channel TX/RX combiner so the real output to the antenna is probably closer to 60W than 100W. I doubt we would add a new channel to this combiner system so it would likely be a pass/reject duplexer system with a dedicated antenna. We won't be changing the VHF analog to digital it will remain analog for a backup of existing systems.

Thanks

100w VHF SLR8000 with preselector, in Capacity Plus mode. That would give you multiple talkgroups. Then your customer retains the ability to use same band analog in their subscribers. But....VHF is terrible. I am fighting a 13 site VHF connect plus system now and the noise is just terrible. FB