Thread: Syntor X control head board jumpers

Thanks

Default Syntor X control head board jumpers

Hi guys,

In the last few years I bought some Syntor X stuff on Ebay. A radio drawer, a control head, a cable set and a speaker. As we all know, every Syntor X configuration had its own cable pinout and its own and unique control head board jumpers.

I had to reassign every pin in the control head cable, it took me 2 days to do it and to double check everything. After this I could revive the radio. It now receives and transmits on only 1 channel. But I am having serious issues with it. When the control head top board is connected via the gray and purple connector (using this cable http://www.onfreq.com/syntorx/syntorx/csys90bas32x.html) it has some buzzing from the speaker when I select particular channels.

I think that this is caused by the wrong jumper settings on the control head top board (TRN4344A1).

When I disconnect the purple cable connector from the control head, the buzzing disappears. At this point I tried to manually select the channels (by shorting the pins to GND on J1 main radio connector), it worked fine, so I think there must be some issue with the TRN4344A1 board jumpers.

So guys....

If someone has the jumper settings manual or any kind of information regarding the control head jumper settings, especially the TRN4344A(1) board, please don't hesitate to help me. Just to make this clear: TRN4344A is a so-called 8 channel select non-scanning board.

I'd like to close this project after 2-3 years. It would be fun to have a vintage radio like this in my shack.

P.S.: please don't forget my location, the country: my local Moto dealer doesn't even know what a Syntor X is!

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Can someone please help to identify this IC. It says 87K63 but Google knows nothing about it.

87K63_IC.JPG

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,321 Times in 676 Posts

Which board is this on, the 8 mode select board? I have to dig for my full set of Syntor X manuals.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

HA5BRG (Jun 29, 2018)

Thanks

This is located on the TRN4344A board, what is a basic 8 channel non-scanning board. I am having issues with it. Channel change takes place when I press the buttons, but buzzing comes from the speakers. Something is not right at the jumpers I think.

IMG_1457.jpgIMG_1458.jpg

Thanks

I forgot to mention that he radio was a former VXJ securenet model but it has been rejumpered by me to the VXJ non-securenet model, using Mike B's fantastic sytntor website. All other jumpers in the radio were checked and corrected if it was necessary, using the info on Mike's page.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HA5BRG For This Useful Post:

com501 (Jun 29, 2018)

Thanks

Today I had some time to play with the Syntor X again. I have but the original 2716 EPROM back into the radio. According to the data in it, it seems that the radio once had a 16 channel head with channel scanning.

Just for fun I have restored JU1 on the Personality Board inside the radio to see what will happen. Well, strange stuff. The "loss off lock" indicator LED started to blink very fast (like every Syntor does when it is scanning). But in reality it was not scanning the channels. And the weirdest thing just came after this: the buzzing remained on the previously mentioned channels (1, 2, 5, 6) but it sounded differently.

There must be some issue with that head.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

U3 is the priority encoder IC, a 51-84887K63, IOS MOS. The manual for this is 68-81110E87-B.

Looking through my library it appears that I have more than one copy of some of these manuals, including this one. What other manuals would you like and I will see what I have.

PM me shipping instructions. I will only charge you what it costs to ship them. There are all dated from 1984. (I save everything!)

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I wish I had the ability to scan these. They are the original two color manuals. Come of the foldouts are 6 or 8 pages wide. Anyone have a resource for scanning?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

HA5BRG (Jul 02, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you. I'll send you a PM right away.

I don't know what manuals will I need, so I think it would be useful to have one of these:

- Syntor X VHF high band radio drawer manual
    - Syntor X mode select push button head, 8 channels, no scanning, 1 zone
    - Syntor X mode select push button head, 8 channels, with scanning, 2 or more zones*

I don't want to hook up siren or other stuff to the radio, I just want to use it as a nice old base station.

*I ordered a 2 zone, 8 pushbutton scanning System 90 head on Ebay, it is on the way, so it would be nice to have a manual for that as well.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I will send you all the duplicates I have. It will take a day or two to sort through the shelf of manuals (4 feet thick of them) to get all the dupes ready.

For sure I have the one for your board you have the image of.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

HA5BRG (Jul 02, 2018)

Thanks

Oh, all the dupes? Thank you very much, kind Sir! That would be a greeaaat help for me!

My future project is to make a control head with an Atmel PIC, with keeping the original Personality Board. But that is a loong way to go

Thanks

How many boards are you going to post this question on? I replied to an abbreviated version of this question over on Batboard and listed the jumper settings for this circuit module. If you are going to obtain the original manual, I needn't have bothered.

Also, over there you refer to your radio as a T74VXJ series and then say it is a high band unit. T74 is a UHF radio.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to WB6NVH For This Useful Post:

HA5BRG (Jul 06, 2018)

Thanks

Thank you for the comments on the junpers. Since I don't own any manual yet, your reply on the other board contains valuable information to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk