Thread: 56 Motorola Multi-Group

Thanks

Default 56 Motorola Multi-Group

Does adding this feature code allow a Harris radio to properly follow Motorola patch announcements?

Thanks

In my experience yes.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks

It allows Harris radios to follow Motorola's proprietary Multi-Group patch system, which IS NOT part of the Project-25 protocol.

It was one of my projects before I retired from Harris in 2012.
    Gatorbait3014
    Retired Master Two-Way Radio Master Technician & System Engineer (34+ years)

My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait3014 View Post
    It allows Harris radios to follow Motorola's proprietary Multi-Group patch system, which IS NOT part of the Project-25 protocol.

It was one of my projects before I retired from Harris in 2012.
    Indeed. The inverse however isn't true. We have had to set our system to use "Motorola style patches" in order for Motorola radios to follow them on the system.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks

This is another example of a "dual standard." (Similar to "compliant" simulcast) Both Motorola and Harris versions of Group Regrouping are now the "standard." TIA 102.AABH.

It's up to each manufacturer to implement both flavors in their equipment. Prior to the standard, each kept their method proprietary and the competitor had to reverse the other's code to make it work. That led to "not quite perfect" code and caused issues crossing between versions. When the standard was released, the curtain was lifted and each could correctly build each others version.

Standard was adopted in late 2014.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    This is another example of a "dual standard." (Similar to "compliant" simulcast) Both Motorola and Harris versions of Group Regrouping are now the "standard." TIA 102.AABH.

It's up to each manufacturer to implement both flavors in their equipment. Prior to the standard, each kept their method proprietary and the competitor had to reverse the other's code to make it work. That led to "not quite perfect" code and caused issues crossing between versions. When the standard was released, the curtain was lifted and each could correctly build each others version.

Standard was adopted in late 2014.
    It is really one of those features that has to work first time, every time. Why it wasn't standardized is one of those P25 "my$terie$"

Thanks

From what I had heard, the reason they didn't build in patches as part of the standard is because they couldn't agree on the best way to do it. IE, Motorola thought theirs was best, Harris thought theirs was etc... Glad to see it's all been standardized for the most part.