Thread: Astro spectra bodge job?

Thanks

Default Astro spectra bodge job?

It wasn't represented as anything other than it showed on the tag 100004-000000-4 so I don't think anything was intentional, what I got was
    R11.71.00.00
    I08.03.03
    500008-000480-0

My interpretation is conventional/3600 trunking firmware but has astro 25 9600 trunking enabled according to flash code despite radio not being capable of it.

Bought it for parts but interesting to see someone elses handiwork.

Thanks

Definitely sounds like it. With the assumed band not being 800, and the flashcode features, sounds like someone used a "certain Russian tool" to just checkmark whatever options looked fancy and stuff it back into the radio. I guess since it is just a parts radio that isn't a huge concern though.

Thanks

This is a common issue, everyone is using the tool and selling units that are not as advertised. Your lucky since you bought it for parts. There are lots who buy with the intent of using the radios not knowing the flash and hardware are not set to compatible values. Also almost all of these unit have messed up tuning values so even if the flash is correct the unit is so far out of alignment it wont work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

skysurfer (Jul 03, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    This is a common issue, everyone is using the tool and selling units that are not as advertised. Your lucky since you bought it for parts. There are lots who buy with the intent of using the radios not knowing the flash and hardware are not set to compatible values. Also almost all of these unit have messed up tuning values so even if the flash is correct the unit is so far out of alignment it wont work.
    Thanks for the confirmation. Was sure I had the version stuff figured out, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

Thanks

At this point it's a lot more practical to use the AS+ on a 9600 system. They're getting cheap enough on fleabay now that there's almost no point in getting a standard Astro Spectra for anything other than spare parts.

That being said, the spectra and its Astro derivatives are a very fantastic, easily repairable and hackable product line. I've built up a large collection of parts and radios over the last few years just from buying $15 for-parts mobiles every so often. It's actually extremely easy to "kitbash" analog spectra VHF/UHF components with 800 Astro spectra digital components and get a fully working VHF/UHF Astro spectra for half of what they normally go for. I've got three or four radios now that were born from this setup and they work great.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to axel For This Useful Post:

HA5BRG (Jul 04, 2018),p47r4ck (Jul 06, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    At this point it's a lot more practical to use the AS+ on a 9600 system. They're getting cheap enough on fleabay now that there's almost no point in getting a standard Astro Spectra for anything other than spare parts.

That being said, the spectra and its Astro derivatives are a very fantastic, easily repairable and hackable product line. I've built up a large collection of parts and radios over the last few years just from buying $15 for-parts mobiles every so often. It's actually extremely easy to "kitbash" analog spectra VHF/UHF components with 800 Astro spectra digital components and get a fully working VHF/UHF Astro spectra for half of what they normally go for. I've got three or four radios now that were born from this setup and they work great.
    I am working on exactly that process right now. Have about a dozen P25 capable 403-433 Astro Spectra high power kits that were donated to an organization here. I am working on getting some cheapo 450-482 or maybe even the 438-470 analog models and bashing them together into one working radio to be installed as base radios at hospitals or other spots that are typically staged for disaster relief.

Thanks

The county trunked system here is of little to no interest LE, Fire and EMS are encrypted and I'm content with a scanner for listening to utility... always entertaining during a storm. If I happen into a radio that'll do it maybe I'll look into it.

I kept up a small fleet of analog spectras many years ago after the company had a falling out with the local mot shop. But narrow banding took them out of service and I ended up with the left overs. Several years ago I had call to put some radios up on itinerant freqs on the cheap and I discovered "bashing" the astro RF and control section into these old spectras. Normally I would bring up type acceptance but many of these people have no idea about wide/narrow and are using cheap Chinese amateur radio equipment anyway. Another similar project I've been doing is re-purposing 800Mhz MTS controls in VHF/UHF HT's I picked up about a hundred or so 800Mhz MTS dirt cheap ($40) from goodwill that were donated by a university when the county went to P25.