Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any IntelliRepeater Experts Here

Thanks

Time for another update I guess. I am still on the hunt to get this going. I had a few people PM me with help, and offers, but they seem to have "left the building." If there is anyone out there that wants to help out in any way, please PM me, (again )

Thanks

Thanks

Well, I have succeeded. With the help of several people from this board, I (we) have gotten it working. I am still trying to work through the exact requirements to get it working. Here is the story so far, for the most part.

First, it most definitely needs IR firmware on the SCM (DUH). I obtained an IR SCM (6960A) on ebay, with IR Firmware 020.10.012. That didn't work. I thought it might have something to do with the CP I threw into the machine, but I got some help from some board members much more knowledgeable than me, but we just couldn't get it to work. I explained to one of them that I was using a UHF range 1 PA with a range 2 exciter, since my original PA was toast when I got it. I read on W9CRs wiki that the Range 1 and 2 PAs are essentially identical, so I obtained a range one machine for next to nothing, and pilfered the PA. I popped it into the machine, and though the log showed a mismatch in the RSS, it tuned up and worked flawlessly without changing the resister network ID of the PA. We thought it through, and since I don't have a range 2 PA, I threw in the range 1 exciter, made the appropriate changes in the RSS, loaded the CP again....but still no go. We could not get the control channel to come up. So, I put the Range 2 exciter back in (so I could use it as before) and kinda just figured that had nothing to do with why it wouldn't work.

I then sent a CP over to someone else on this board, and they loaded the CP into an 800 machine they had. Lo and behold, it booted up and the control channel came up on his machine. He informed me that he was using a 6960 SCM as well, but it was an F revision, and it included IR firmware 020.10.013. He graciously offered to send me a 6960F with the IR firmware, and upon arrival, I popped it in, and booted up. I loaded the same CP that had worked for him, but it was a no go. I looked around in the RSS, trying to figure it out, when on a lark, I hit the Validate Configuration button in the RSS, and it failed. Hey wait, maybe the original member who helped me with the CP was right. So, I popped the range 1 exciter back in, validated the hardware again which passed, made the appropriate change to the CP, wrote it to the machine, and upon reboot, waited. After about 20 or 30 second, the control channel came up. WHAT?????????? Amazing I thought. I programmed up my portable, and it worked. COOL!!!!

I then threw the original A version of the 6960 into machine, and as expected, it did not work. I am considering, but somewhat want to leave well enough alone, moving the 020.10.013 IR SIMM and the Memory from the F SCM to the A SCM, and see if I can get it to work. Not sure if that could potentially mess things up, but I might do it just to find out.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, and personalized help. Now, on to see what more fun I can have with this.

BTW, is there anyone in Southern California able to change the resister ID network on the PA. I popped off the cover, and looked, and that is some tiny surface mount stuff, well beyond my feeble soldering skills.

As I pay around, I'll update this thread.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wiredwrx For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 24, 2019),Astro Spectra (May 02, 2019),box (Feb 24, 2019),gsxxr1300r (May 09, 2019),motorola_otaku (Feb 24, 2019)

Thanks

Thought I would post this here, since it is relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    You will need:
    -A PSC9600 controller
    -EPIC V controller cards and matching wireline boards from surplus 800 MHz Quantars. Probably ought'a pull the exciter firmware EEPROM while you're at it so everything matches.
    -6.x CSS. Will only run in WinXP.
    -The IP addresses from the PSC9600 and the Quantars (hope they were labeled)
    -A network switch
    -6.x system documentation

Once you get everything communicating, it will function as an "always in site trunking" mode IR site, so any RID can PTT on any talkgroup.

Thanks

Motorola,

I am wondering why go through all that trouble when I can get the Quantar to do site trunking without any of the controllers and stuff. What would be the advantage to that stuff. Also, what would be needed to get it working in "true" trunking fashion, with the ability to control TG and RID access?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wiredwrx View Post
    I am wondering why go through all that trouble when I can get the Quantar to do site trunking without any of the controllers and stuff. What would be the advantage to that stuff.
    Because that will give you a 9600 Astro25 site, versus 3600 with an IR setup. You're not vendor-locked with 9600 and could use Harris MA/COM subs, possibly other vendors if they made VHF/UHF P25 trunking equipment. You also get a wider range of TGIDs and RIDs.

Also, what would be needed to get it working in "true" trunking fashion, with the ability to control TG and RID access?
    A 6.x Zone Controller, which (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is several VMs running on a server stack versus older hardware-based controllers in the SZ 4.1 world. I'm not saying it would be completely impossible to find all the software in the wild to do that, but it's highly unlikely.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

wiredwrx (May 07, 2019)

Thanks

Because that will give you a 9600 Astro25 site, versus 3600 with an IR setup. You're not vendor-locked with 9600 and could use Harris MA/COM subs, possibly other vendors if they made VHF/UHF P25 trunking equipment. You also get a wider range of TGIDs and RIDs.
    Understood, and thanks for the info. The advantage to 3600 is the ability to use older XTS3K, but I have found EF Johnson's dont play with SIte Trunking at all. That might be worth it.

Now, if I could only find this on the used market at an affordable price. Ebay, don't fail me now

Thanks

Understood, and thanks for the info. The advantage to 3600 is the ability to use older XTS3K, but I have found EF Johnson's dont play with SIte Trunking at all. That might be worth it.

Now, if I could only find this on the used market at an affordable price. Ebay, don't fail me now
    You can use 3Ks on a 9600 system (800 only).

You would also need 2 PSCs if you plan on doing a SWDL. The SDM will not see the site if there is only one. However, a site can function with only one.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to discombobulated For This Useful Post:

wiredwrx (May 07, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by discombobulated View Post
    You can use 3Ks on a 9600 system (800 only).

You would also need 2 PSCs if you plan on doing a SWDL. The SDM will not see the site if there is only one. However, a site can function with only one.

Sure, it will do 9600 on 800Mhz, but this is for a ham trunking machine so 800 mhz isn't in the cards. Also, what is SWDL and SDM?

Thanks

Sure, it will do 9600 on 800Mhz, but this is for a ham trunking machine so 800 mhz isn't in the cards.
    Sorry, HAM trunking noted.

Also, what is SWDL and SDM?
    Software Download is SWDL

Software Download Manager (SDM) loads firmware to the devices.

Thanks

I guess if you were doing a single site with no core you could get by with a single site controller. Just SWDL each device with the same firmware because you wouldn't need to do the whole site at the same time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by discombobulated View Post
    I guess if you were doing a single site with no core you could get by with a single site controller. Just SWDL each device with the same firmware because you wouldn't need to do the whole site at the same time.
    Yeah, no, dual redundant PSCs and SDM is way overkill for a ham trunk. Ideally you'd source the Quantar bits and the PSCs from the same surplussed system so everything already lines up firmware-wise.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

wiredwrx (May 07, 2019)

Thanks

A 6.x Zone Controller, which (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is several VMs running on a server stack versus older hardware-based controllers in the SZ 4.1 world. I'm not saying it would be completely impossible to find all the software in the wild to do that, but it's highly unlikely.
    I do know a 6.5 system still had the zone controller and servers based on a CPX2408 like the SZ 4.1 system. There were a couple other pieces of servers/hardware added for consoles and IP backhaul/Connectivity. After 6.5 is when things started going to VM servers if I remember correctly.

And you are correct on finding any of that software in the wild! Its not there. I have the MZC3000s and Servers from a 4.1 system and I've tried finding the software for 4.1 and 6.x to load on them. Its not out there and probably will never be.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jettajoey For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (May 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jettajoey View Post
    And you are correct on finding any of that software in the wild! Its not there. I have the MZC3000s and Servers from a 4.1 system and I've tried finding the software for 4.1 and 6.x to load on them. Its not out there and probably will never be.
    That's really too bad. Sounds like that all would be pretty fun to explore and experiment with, especially the VMs.
    When in danger,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.