Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 52 of 52

Thread: Any IntelliRepeater Experts Here

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 20, 2014
    Posts
    412
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    Time for another update I guess. I am still on the hunt to get this going. I had a few people PM me with help, and offers, but they seem to have "left the building." If there is anyone out there that wants to help out in any way, please PM me, (again )

    Thanks


  2. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 20, 2014
    Posts
    412
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    Well, I have succeeded. With the help of several people from this board, I (we) have gotten it working. I am still trying to work through the exact requirements to get it working. Here is the story so far, for the most part.

    First, it most definitely needs IR firmware on the SCM (DUH). I obtained an IR SCM (6960A) on ebay, with IR Firmware 020.10.012. That didn't work. I thought it might have something to do with the CP I threw into the machine, but I got some help from some board members much more knowledgeable than me, but we just couldn't get it to work. I explained to one of them that I was using a UHF range 1 PA with a range 2 exciter, since my original PA was toast when I got it. I read on W9CRs wiki that the Range 1 and 2 PAs are essentially identical, so I obtained a range one machine for next to nothing, and pilfered the PA. I popped it into the machine, and though the log showed a mismatch in the RSS, it tuned up and worked flawlessly without changing the resister network ID of the PA. We thought it through, and since I don't have a range 2 PA, I threw in the range 1 exciter, made the appropriate changes in the RSS, loaded the CP again....but still no go. We could not get the control channel to come up. So, I put the Range 2 exciter back in (so I could use it as before) and kinda just figured that had nothing to do with why it wouldn't work.

    I then sent a CP over to someone else on this board, and they loaded the CP into an 800 machine they had. Lo and behold, it booted up and the control channel came up on his machine. He informed me that he was using a 6960 SCM as well, but it was an F revision, and it included IR firmware 020.10.013. He graciously offered to send me a 6960F with the IR firmware, and upon arrival, I popped it in, and booted up. I loaded the same CP that had worked for him, but it was a no go. I looked around in the RSS, trying to figure it out, when on a lark, I hit the Validate Configuration button in the RSS, and it failed. Hey wait, maybe the original member who helped me with the CP was right. So, I popped the range 1 exciter back in, validated the hardware again which passed, made the appropriate change to the CP, wrote it to the machine, and upon reboot, waited. After about 20 or 30 second, the control channel came up. WHAT?????????? Amazing I thought. I programmed up my portable, and it worked. COOL!!!!

    I then threw the original A version of the 6960 into machine, and as expected, it did not work. I am considering, but somewhat want to leave well enough alone, moving the 020.10.013 IR SIMM and the Memory from the F SCM to the A SCM, and see if I can get it to work. Not sure if that could potentially mess things up, but I might do it just to find out.

    Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions, and personalized help. Now, on to see what more fun I can have with this.

    BTW, is there anyone in Southern California able to change the resister ID network on the PA. I popped off the cover, and looked, and that is some tiny surface mount stuff, well beyond my feeble soldering skills.

    As I pay around, I'll update this thread.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wiredwrx For This Useful Post:

    Alpha (Feb 24, 2019),box (Feb 24, 2019),motorola_otaku (Feb 24, 2019)