Thread: Cross Band Repeaters

Thanks

Default Cross Band Repeaters

Someone here refresh my memory. Some years back, the Minnesota State Patrol had cross band repeaters in their squads. The MX3xx portables were UHF and the car radio was VHF. Does anybody here know what that may have been during that era? Ironically, the mobile may​ have been GE Deltas! I am not sure if the rest was even Motorola, though.

Thanks

I would hazard a guess - at least in the Motorola sense - you can have a UHF mobile hooked up to your VHF radio through a RICK - press the enable button on the RICK when stepping out of the vehicle and turn it into a repeater.

Other ways of course include using a PAC-RT and certain mobiles and/or vehicle chargers for your HT - but honestly especially with analog systems there was more than one way to skin that cat.

Thanks

They were probably PAC-RT. Cross banding is technically no different than a pair of regular repeaters. Any current VRS will do the same..

Thanks

Pyramid Communications is another option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to phonebuff For This Useful Post:

OPS (Aug 17, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
    Someone here refresh my memory. Some years back, the Minnesota State Patrol had cross band repeaters in their squads. The MX3xx portables were UHF and the car radio was VHF. Does anybody here know what that may have been during that era? Ironically, the mobile may​ have been GE Deltas! I am not sure if the rest was even Motorola, though.
    GE also had a cross and vehicular repeater. There is a site that describes the low band CHPS radio system and every flavor of Motorola and GE vehicular repeater set up.

At one time these were so popular that Bearcat sold a scanner that was preprogrammed with each States highway patrol in vehicle repeater freqs. If you got a hit, you were certain to be within sight of a patrol car.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

If it was in the MX era, then it was likely to be the PAC-RT vehicular repeater which isn't quite the same as a crossband repeater. The PAC-RT had a method to deal with contention when more than one car was on scene. And the PAC-RT often had the low power VHF local coverage radio built into it. They were by no means perfect, but they got the job done. My biggest problem was keeping the officers from using their pacsets as wireless mics in the car. We went as far as putting butt switches in the seats to kill the PAC-RT when they were driving.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

OPS (Aug 17, 2018)

Thanks

Lots of low band public safety users used pac rt or pac pl to extend their range. The Pyramid units do the job pretty well. Older wideband units are often on ebay for almost nothing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    My biggest problem was keeping the officers from using their pacsets as wireless mics in the car. We went as far as putting butt switches in the seats to kill the PAC-RT when they were driving.
    We had the same issue when I worked for the force and did exactly the same thing! The other issue we had was traffic officers putting their UHF set onto the local primary channel so they could earwig when on a break and then getting out of the car for a job without going back to their own UHF simplex channel. The VHF link would kick in and broadcast the local net over the county wide system leaving the officers working simplex on UHF wondering why they can't hear their VHF control.