Thread: Thales 25 programming cable construction

Thanks

Default Thales 25 programming cable construction

I jumped on the Thales 25 bandwagon after seeing the BIA items from New Mexico. Radio and batteries have arrived so I'm moving on to programming. FPP is handy but tedious so I'm looking for help with making a programming cable; cloning cables (85303) are readily available and I'm wondering if having one might be a good first step toward rolling my own. I can't find a decent image showing the number and location of the pins in the cloning cable connector...if someone has a photo or diagram, that would be a good start. Hoping that I can open the connector cover, move and/or add pins as needed and end up with a reliable 85302 PC Programmer Cable. What say you, brain trust?

Thanks

Iíll dig up the pinout someone sent me, but a cloning cable works great since you can cut it in half and use one side for programming and either make a second cable or keyload adapter from the second half.

I just received mine last week and finally got a replacement Hybrid battery but it seems to be shot - so Iíll be tossing it aside until I feel daring enough to open it and try to find new cells. Have a second coming in tomorrow so we will see if the next hybrid battery fares any better. If youíre interested in a standard Lithium battery I can point you in the direction of a place that can still order the Honeywell/GTS battery and a source for a new in box and cheap cradle charger. Just received my Lithium battery today and itís the only way Iíve been able to play with the radio so far.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

Skywave (Jul 20, 2018)

Thanks

I ordered a battery online last night from Advanced Automation, website said they were in stock. Hopefully it's just a drop ship from GTS. Where did you source yours from?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vette86 View Post
    I ordered a battery online last night from Advanced Automation, website said they were in stock. Hopefully it's just a drop ship from GTS. Where did you source yours from?
    It was a computer or automation type company as well but they showed it as ďin stockĒ so I took the risk. It does end up being drop-shipped straight from GTS so youíll have a brand new battery.

Thanks

Excellent, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks

Good news about the cloning cable. If you can divine the location of the cloning cable pinout I'm sure it would be helpful. The battery source information would be nice to have as well, especially if my orange hybrid dies. I seem to have been fortunate as mine works well...so far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
    Good news about the cloning cable. If you can divine the location of the cloning cable pinout I'm sure it would be helpful. The battery source information would be nice to have as well, especially if my orange hybrid dies. I seem to have been fortunate as mine works well...so far.
    _Thales 25 side connector connections 25jul02.pdf

This is the manual I have with the pinout and pin diagram for the side connector. The cloning cable will have the necessary leads, just at one part the TX line becomes RX and vice-versa for the serial data. So as long as you have a multimeter you'll find it to be an easy task.

I'll PM you the battery link

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

Skywave (Jul 20, 2018)

Thanks

That will do nicely. Thank you. Cloning cable has been ordered.

Got the PM, too.

Thanks

Any luck with converting the cloning cable to a programming cable? I'm also in need of a programming cable so monitoring progress before go ahead. Thanks!

Thanks

Feel free to proceed! The cloning cable conversion to programming cable worked well. You'll end up with a spare connector...or put it to use making a keyload cable.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Skywave For This Useful Post:

pks (Aug 16, 2018)

Thanks

That's great news! Thank for you for your feedback! I have a spare speaker mic which I may butcher if I can't source a decently priced cloning cable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks

Cannibalized speaker mic should work, too. Cloning cable is $35 from that auction place.

Thanks

Just remember if you use the cloning cable one side has a small diode you have to remove.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to wildbillx For This Useful Post:

pks (Aug 17, 2018)

Thanks

I have already reached out to the seller but still waiting for them to come back with shipping cost to Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
    Cannibalized speaker mic should work, too. Cloning cable is $35 from that auction place.
    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Thanks

I also bought a cloning cable to modify into a programming cable. I wouldn't want to improvise one without it.

Thanks

I managed to get myself an OEM serial programming cable - hooked it up to my laptop with USB->serial adapter and worked like a charm. Except not sure if its worth what I paid for.