Thread: Wonder if we will ever see a opensource p25 tracking solution like trbo-net

brizey No Longer Registered

Default Wonder if we will ever see a opensource p25 tracking solution like trbo-net

Wondering if we or anyone is looking into doing a opensource tracking solution like trbo-net for mototrbo but for p25 that works with the xtl,xts,apx line.
    A software based control head for the apx would be nice also. #Boredom

Thanks

Wish I had something more substantive to contribute than my agreement here. The IV&D stuff that they're doing with setups like the Mi5 DMR network is pretty great, I would love to see something equivalent for p25 given the larger presence of p25 radios out there, and now the presence of dual-band p25 rigs with the APX line. I'm tired of carrying more than one radio around! I'd especially like to be able to send my location once in a while without having to pull out an APRS ham HT.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,299 Times in 1,797 Posts

I have a feeling we'll soon see map support in the APX line. There's a memory expansion port near the battery connection. It was "hinted" to me by a Motorolan at a recent trade show, this memory expansion port will soon be implemented. Very interesting.

I also agree we need opensource P25 solutions. I'm tired of all the proprietary crap. It's precisely why I'm going TRBO and not looking back. That, and the ease of networking.

brizey No Longer Registered

I have caught the same from a few Motorolan's on the apx being able to show a map. Bet its some Motorola format though wish it would handle shapefiles or osm without a 4,000+ dollar price tag which I'm sure it will have to enable the maps. I'd be glad to work on the GIS / Mapping stuff if someone wanted to take care of the ARS / LRRP. The interop solution they had at Vegas with the LEX700 was running openlayers for the interface which is what I am using for my GIS / Weather Application..