Thread: MC3000 / Consolette Weirdness

Rocco No Longer Registered

Default MC3000 / Consolette Weirdness

Hello All

I had a strange situation yesterday where a MC 3000 Desk Set will NOT connect to the consolette. The setup was working fine until yesterday.

MC3000<-ethernet cable->Digital Junction Box-> Astro Spectra Consolette

I went to clear a PAGE by tapping the talk button on consolette but the page continued through the MC3000 with no change on display no transmit etc.

I tried resettign the MC3000 by pulling the power din cable and re inserting to a different message. connecting to digital radio please wait. Its as if its by itself without the digital junction box or consolette.

I swapped the MC3000 with another, no difference.

I swapped the Digital Junction box with a brand new one (that ive tested before), no difference (i did not swap the digital junction box power supply however) The consolette when i touch volume up or down etc will make the busy light flicker on the digital junction box

I have even gone as far as plugging that new MC3000 into the new junction box directly (without using building lan cables that were working)

Elimination is pointing me towards something in the consolette.

Im out of ideas (and parts!)

Has anyone come across this before?

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,362 Times in 671 Posts

It pretty much sounds like you've isolated the problem to be the consolette. I have the same setup here at home and from what you describe it pretty much has to be the main board in the consolette. It sounds like the radio itself may be OK, does it have a front panel (W7) or is it a faceless W9? I.E. can you test the radio without the remote?

The consolette is a W7. The radio inside seems to be fine (as far as i can tell) I am not currently on site but last minute testing before i left got me to where it is in the thread, the consolette is the only thing i havent checked any further. I will plug a mic into the consolette and try a test transmission. I will have to disconnect the digital junction box and reconnect the speaker internally (during install, i pulled the cable out to stop audio coming from consolette)

What would it cost to replace the board in the consolette, if that is the problem?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Probably the best source would be on eBay, if you can find one on a useless split like 403-430 or something it would be a lot cheaper than buying one with a useful radio in it. If you aren't in a super hurry, a buddy of mine just acquired a lot of 20 of them from a govt. auction, so I will find out what he wants for one for you, if you like. I think these have no radios in them so it'd be pretty much what you're looking for. Does yours have a Tone Remote board in it or just a Digital Remote (i.e. the Tone Remote version has an RJ-45 connector on the back for connecting to a wireline to a tone remote. The board inside the tone remote version has a metal shield over most of the board, whereas the Digital Remote version has a field of about 20 large surface-mount power resistors in a 4 x 5 matrix and there is either no or a small (2x3") shield that doesn't cover most of the board. Let me know which type it is...

The consolette does not have a tone remote board. The radio is used as digital remote only with MC3000's

I wouldnt mind more than one consolette if your friend has more as i have 2 MC3000's really only need to use one and i have 2 junction boxes so another consolette would be nice at some point, unless theres a way to connect a digital junction box to a mobile radio? and use a mc3000 as its head?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Not without the Consolette interface board, unfortunately. I will get a hold of my buddy and PM you when I find out more about the lot he bought.

P25CT No Longer Registered

It is possible to feed the J-Box with the 7 signals it needs from an Astro Spectra -W9 only:
    1. Data+ (SB9600 signalling)
    2. Data -
    3. Data Busy
    (data aka Bus, depending which Schematic you refer to)
    4. Receive Speaker Audio Hi (16 ohm not 2-4 ohm as put out by audio amp, level reduced by CPS)
    5. Receive Speaker Audio Lo (same as #4)
    6. Mic Hi
    7. Ground

It is also possible to feed an RCH directly as well, different set of signals slightly.

If you have a mid power, you will have to make some mods to some 0 ohm jumpers to get PTT, filtered (in lieu of detect audio unsquelched as defaulted from facotry) audio (from poin 11 of 15), and Mic audio from rear 15 pin. High Power Astro Spectras have these signals on the secondary DB25 supposedly, however I can not yet confirm this (end of next week perhaps if anyone cares), I can confirm they are present ont he 15 pin when mods are made.

Alpha, if you have any info on those consolettes, I'd be in for a few.

Merry Christmas all.
    Last edited by P25CT; Dec 24, 2012 at 11:13 AM.