Thread: Astro25 CPS interface issues / bugs?

Thanks

Thumbs down Astro25 CPS interface issues / bugs?

Hi all!

I've never come across with serious Astro25 CPS issues during my 10 years of personal experience. I remember some particular bugs in particular releases that were fixed many years ago.

First episode. Some time ago one of users told me that can't see PL/DPL tones in appropriate Zone columns. I connected to him via TeamViewer, investigated, and found out that he was right. Fields were blank, pull down menus was empty, and column was highlighted as invalid/red. I said him something like 'probably bad OS / software conflict / etc.' And I quickly solved his issues by entering proper PL/DPL from keyboard, and red highlights was gone.

Second episode. I installed brand new Windows 1 SP1 OS English x64 on my PC, installed all Windows updates and come across with the same issue as was mentioned in episode 1. I didn't draw a lot of attention to it those time. Because it was my dacha (summer cottage) PC. Rare and summer season usage only, not a big problem.

Third episode. I recommended Astro25 CPS to a guy and told him that this is brilliant piece of radio software (compared to APX, TRBO, Kenwood KPG-D1 software, etc.) and good example of stability, classic UI ‘a-la Delphi’ (but not HTML-based!), good performance and so on. He has tried to work with it, and come back to me in a few days with a lot of negative feedback. He come across with issues very similar to 1&2, but appeared other columns, like Zone - Personality drop down menu. List content collapses to 2 lines and back to the all (e.g. 8) lines available. With no any user/data changes in CPS. Here is YouTube video where you can see it:

Facts: Both Mobile and Portable CPS 20.01 affected (not yet tried downgrade). Neither CPS nor OS re-launch helps. Windows XP and Windows 7 affectedf. Windows 7 is up to date per Windows update. System decimal delimiter set to point (.) per US standard. Real PC with phisycal access to, not VM or RDP/TeamViewer session.

Questions:

1. What the hell is this?
    2. Who from you faced with things like this?
    3. Any ideas how to fix it?

I am thinking about .NET Framework compatibility issues, but not sure how to confirm or deny it. Because a few of them installed on PC simultaneously due to different software requirements (as you know, different software requires different .NET versions, and often installs 'their' version with no other options).
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. Especially whose who also love PL-259 connectors.

Thanks

So there is an issue with Windows 7/8/10 when using multiple displays. Drop down menus will sometimes appear on the adjacent display.

Also per Motorola, they've had some issues with Windows 10 which is one of the reasons they don't recommend using Windows 10 for Astro 25 subscribers.

Thanks

Yes, this is was one of our versions, I mean miltiple displays. Because both of affected PCs are dual-monitor.

Really appreciate your input.

P.S.
    Windows version dosn't matter as was stated above. Win XP affected as well, but we have neither Win8 not Win10.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. Especially whose who also love PL-259 connectors.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 1,468 Posts

Default Astro25 CPS interface issues / bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    So there is an issue with Windows 7/8/10 when using multiple displays. Drop down menus will sometimes appear on the adjacent display.

Also per Motorola, they've had some issues with Windows 10 which is one of the reasons they don't recommend using Windows 10 for Astro 25 subscribers.
    I think Windows 10 users should avoid using Motorola radios.

How dense and stupid can they be? There 100,000s of XTS/XTL subscribers, still active and in-use out in the field.

If Motorola can’t get with the times and update their abandonware ASTRO25 CPS, then we techs and the customers shouldn’t take Motorola seriously. What a joke of a company. Go make CBs to sell at Walmart, Moto.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Sep 26, 2018),Navy_BOFH (Sep 19, 2018),Viper1-6 (Sep 19, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I think Windows 10 users should avoid using Motorola radios.

How dense and stupid can they be? There 100,000s of XTS/XTL subscribers, still active and in-use out in the field.

If Motorola can’t get with the times and update their abandonware ASTRO25 CPS, then we techs and the customers shouldn’t take Motorola seriously. What a joke of a company. Go make CBs to sell at Walmart, Moto.
    Even worse - you're telling me that radios sold in the 2000s were pretty much abandoned to Windows 98, XP... or even DOS. For example the CDM series. They were the LAST low-band option out there. Only discontinued "recently"... but still requires "XP" to run correctly. Give me a break.

Hate to say it but as part of my grant talk recently, and this recent hurricane - we are pushing for a new infrastructure and radios... and Motorola is the last on my mind at this point.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Sep 26, 2018),box (Sep 21, 2018),Mars (Sep 19, 2018),Viper1-6 (Sep 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,921 Times in 1,468 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Navy_BOFH View Post
    Even worse - you're telling me that radios sold in the 2000s were pretty much abandoned to Windows 98, XP... or even DOS. For example the CDM series. They were the LAST low-band option out there. Only discontinued "recently"... but still requires "XP" to run correctly. Give me a break.

Hate to say it but as part of my grant talk recently, and this recent hurricane - we are pushing for a new infrastructure and radios... and Motorola is the last on my mind at this point.
    I always make sure the customer is aware of all of the options. Also make sure to explain and promote the concept of P25 being a major scam to swindle money from taxpayers.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Sep 19, 2018),RFI-EMI-GUY (Oct 15, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    I always make sure the customer is aware of all of the options. Also make sure to explain and promote the concept of P25 being a major scam to swindle money from taxpayers.
    Running that scheme right now.
    - Grant funding will get us 1/10th what we could get with any other options
    - Surplus/donated equipment has been abandoned for good reason
    - If you want a “just turn it on and it works” infrastructure - it’s gonna cost you. Refer to point 1 for further analysis.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

box (Sep 21, 2018),Mars (Sep 20, 2018),RFI-EMI-GUY (Oct 15, 2018)

Thanks

Meanwhile, friend of mine reported that he's experiencing similar problems on one PC with single display only.

Thanks

Never had that particular problem, but I always run CPS on a laptop - my radio fleet is of the size that it's more advantageous for me to go to where they are rather than have a computer in a lab somewhere where I bring the radios to.

Still, abandonware is the perfect description for XTS/XTL CPS. There are parts that are quite plainly fundamentally broken, which I have had Moto say basically "too bad, hey if you buy some more APXs you won't have this problem".

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 120Comm For This Useful Post:

Mars (Sep 21, 2018),Viper1-6 (Sep 21, 2018)

Thanks

I seem to remember something in a help file or FSB about certain display themes in windows causing Astro25 CPS issues. If memory serves the "classic" theme was recommended. Have you tried adjusting any of the themes?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kb0uxv For This Useful Post:

MotFAN (Oct 12, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kb0uxv View Post
    I seem to remember something in a help file or FSB about certain display themes in windows causing Astro25 CPS issues. If memory serves the "classic" theme was recommended. Have you tried adjusting any of the themes?
    We will try and hit you back. Thanks.

Thanks

I dont know why Microsoft couldn't have just stuck with the XP Classic and fixed the bugs in the OS. Why they must reinvent the wheel and obsolete software as well as user skills is beyond me. Hey I have an idea, let's ditch that qwerty keyboard and layout the keys on the new one in a prettier fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0uxv View Post
    Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk