Thread: Cheapest Smallest Console

Trapa No Longer Registered

Default Cheapest Smallest Console

I'm wondering what would be the cheapest smallest dispatch console system available. I'm looking to only control three channels simultaniously, but I would like to do some of the features like patching channels together if needed. I also want this to be fairly portable to be able to bring to different sites. Ideally there could be multiple consoles connected to the system.

Thanks

You didn't specify, so I'll assume you need a tone control remote.

In the Motorola world, what you're looking for is the MC2500. It can control up to 4 radios, and offers patching and multi-select, amongst other features, all in the size of a standard desktop remote:

http://www.motorola.com/Business/US-...+Deskset_US-EN

The Zetron 284 will also fit the bill:

http://www.zetron.com/en-us/products...ineremote.aspx

Retails for approx $2500 at Hutton.
    Last edited by Ice-T; Nov 06, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Okay, this is a cool start, but what back-end equipment do i need to operate this remote? I'm thinking about buying two quantar repeaters, what else would be needed? Can this be connected to mobile radios as oppose to repeaters?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Trapa View Post
    Okay, this is a cool start, but what back-end equipment do i need to operate this remote? I'm thinking about buying two quantar repeaters, what else would be needed? Can this be connected to mobile radios as oppose to repeaters?
    The Motorola & Zetron products I mentioned above (edited my original post) are what is known as 'tone control' remotes. Basically, if you're hooking to Quantars or similar infrastructure type equipment, you want them to have the 'tone remote' option card/board so you can control them directly with the console. You can connect these consoles to mobile/base radios, but each radio will require a 'TRA'...tone remote adaptor, which converts the control tones to local control (audio, PTT, ground, channel steering pins if applicable, etc). If you have no current 'end points' for the console to hook to, you are in for some sticker shock unless you can buy it all used on fleaBay.

Well the whole thing is for more non-profit convention side dealies than it is for infrastructure , so my budget is my wallet. I do have some zetron tone remotes which have serviced me well. They use high speed dtmf in order to do their control as oppose to true tones. The advantage there is that they support the changing of channels and groups on the radios they were intended for.

So one of my ideas was to listen in and record which dtmf signals are used for "Change group" and "Confirm that group has been changed" ... and then to build a arduino project that would allow each user to switch the channel on their tone remote.. Complicated, but could be functional.

But yeah, just sorta looking around for what's possible.

Thanks

Perhaps if you post in the for sale section here on the board you'll get lucky and find someone who's looking to off-load their current console & related gear.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

If you want to buy older cheaper used stuff, the Command Plus sounds like what you want. They control from 4 to 12 base stations/repeaters. If you only want to control 2, a Comtegra can be had for about $200-300, the Command Plus will probably run you $300-500. Just make sure with the Command Plus it's a Tone Remote model, not a DC remote as they are a bit more arcane and more difficult to interface to other things. There is also a small box called a TNA200 which is a Tone Remote decoder that will interface to a generic radio like a Maxtrac or whatever you like that can be the "other end" of the console's connection.

Thanks

Comtegra units do 2 lines.

Thanks

Command Plus isn't that small, and coupled with the mass of wiring coming off the back of it, yikes. I suggest the OP look into the MC2500 deskset as someone previously mentioned. It's small (the size of a desktop telephone), will support a maximum of 4 resources, and can handle the patch features you want. It'll also do things like MDC encode/decode, multiselect/APB, alert tones, and some other minor things.

I *think* it also supports E&M keying (90% sure, I know the MC2000 single-line version does), if in fact the MC2500 does, then you don't need any tone remote adapters - the E&M leads function as COR/PTT, and COR is optional as the thing does VOX detection (though you'd really need COR for proper patch operation).

Thanks

According to the spec sheet, the MC2500 can do 4 tone controlled lines, or 3 tone & 1 DC...no mention of local control.

Does anyone know the part number(s) needed to be able to use the MCS2500 on the Quantar Repeater? I see from photo's the quantar repeater also has a few RJ45 jacks on it, but that could be for programming or anything. Does the MCS2500 need a DIU for the quantar?

Thanks

MC2500 (not MCS2500) will interface directly with Quantar in ANALOG ONLY mode as long as the Quantar has a wireline card in it. There is an orange connector on the back of the Quantar that has the 4-wire analog interface on it. If you want to use the MC2500 with the Quantar in digital mode, you will need a DIU (contact Mars, he has a few for sale).

Thanks

CPI has the TRML; Tone Remote Multi-Line; up to 4 lines, can be ordered with multiple function tones per line, too. Check their website. I've put in a couple; pretty good.

I've also done a Vega C1616 console; it's a little desktop console, 6 channel I think, and multiple functions per line, (also Tone Remote, but IIRC it also does 'local control'; PTT contact to key. Pretty cool little jobber.

I don't THINK the Zetron 284 can do multi-select, but I could be wrong. I'd love to be wrong about that; I have a 284, and would find that verrrrrry interesting.

Oh, and the other tone remote guys also do a multi-line desk remote; Gai-tronics, and IDA. Don't know nothing about them.

ohiodesperado No Longer Registered

MZD is correct, I talked to Zetron on the 284 and it will not multiselect or patch from what they told me. The MC2500 will do both.
    Another option is a NCS box if you are wanting to do local control. It's cheaper than a 2500 but not by alot. Interfacing to radios is fairly simple though.

One thing with the NCS box is that you don't need to have wireline interfacing on the radios. The downfall to it is there is no ability to do channel changes. Additionally ANY local control is going to need to be done within 100 feet of the radios. Tone remote can be run on dry pair telephone lines for miles.

More information on the NCS box can be found at www.ncsradio.com

Thanks

Rather curious what Zetron unit you're using that uses high-speed DTMF for control. Can you enlighten me?

And as another aside, buying 'a couple of Quantar repeaters' is a pretty high-dollar way to go about whatever you're trying to do (and I'm curious about the project in general). You could get away with a lot less $$ in the radio dept. and put more into finding a control box that will do what you want, then you don't have to reverse engineer a wheel that someone else has already made (to mix a metaphor). Just saying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kb4mdz View Post
    Rather curious what Zetron unit you're using that uses high-speed DTMF for control. Can you enlighten me?
    They are marked "230A" and thats about it. They are designed to be connected to... if I remember correctly, the TK-730/830 or some variant like that.

Thanks

Hmm, 230A; interesting. I've heard of it, but never seen one. I do have a copy of the software, but it's dated from about 1995 or so; comparatively ancient! If it was my time investing in it, I would think that's a hard uphill battle to rig something to work with it.

ohiodesperado - thanks for checking that out about multi-select on the 284. Kind of a bummer, too; I really like 284's; having multi-select would be a nice feature for Zetron to add.

Thanks

I have a NEW MC2500 in the box, I will make you a heck of a deal... Pm me...