Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argh... What did I do??

Thanks

Default Argh... What did I do??

Ok I'm totally confused. Got a new XTS2500 today, read it and saved the codeplug that was in it. Programmed it up for no-affiliate scan on a local P25 system and it worked just great. Got home from work, made a few changes to the codeplug...and now the radio doesn't receive any activity. So, I dumped in the last working codeplug that I made when I was at work.. still nothing. Programmed in the current control channel as a conventional channel just to confirm RX and it's 5/5. So what the hell did I do? I've been trying different things for a few hours now with no luck what so ever. Can't see the radio being inhibited, so I'm stumped.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

Ok so this gets a little weirder... Come back into work this morning with the radio on the rubber ducky and it starts chatting away like nobody's business. So why won't this thing work when connected to my yagi at home? Using the same antenna my scanners pull in the system I'm wanting to listen to no problem, as did my previous EFJohnson 51SL. Perhaps an alignment issue of some sort??

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Does your female SMA connector have a recessed receptacle? Its possible the connector is not making contact with the center pin on the radio.

Thanks

I was thinking the same thing too... Which is why I programmed in the current control channel as an analog channel to test the RX... And signal is good and strong when using the Yagi and SMA adaptor.

Is it possible the front end is being overloaded? Not sure how far you are from the system with the Yagi, but if it works fine while using the stock antenna closer to the system, maybe it just can't decode properly if it is receiving a "too strong" signal with the yagi? Also, would it be possible the site you have the yagi pointed to is not carrying the traffic unless another user affiliates with the talkgroups you want to listen to? I know our SZ system here is difficult to monitor all talkgroups from one site as users "roam" on and off the tower.

Thanks

I'm approx 40km's from the site. Without the yagi, RX is basically nil. Using the yagi usally gives 2-3 bars on my Pro-106 and provides pretty good reception, but it's definately not to the point of overload. I've also confirmed that the talkgroups that I'm trying to monitor are active on the site I have programmed in. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sorry couldn't be more help. But there are a lot of people that delve way more into this than i even could begun to on the forum. Maybe one of them can give better insight.

Thanks

How long is your feedline run from the yagi to your radio? What are you using as your feedline? Did you properly weatherproof your connections outside?

Thanks

Feedline is approx 25' of RG-6 with the antenna mounted in the attic. I'm sure it's not an antenna problem of any sort, like I mentioned it works perfectly with any of my digital scanners and the P25 EFJ portable I had up until this past weekend. With the yagi connected to the XTS, I can hear the control channel loud and clear (when programmed as an analog channel) but have no trunking activity of any sort.

Thanks

The reason I'm wondering if it's an alignment issue is due to the problems discussed here: https://www.p25.ca/threads/118-No-af...ked-scan/page5 which were remedied in post #125 after the radio was properly aligned.

Thanks

I'm just wondering if you are experiencing water in the coax (when its dry out it works like a champ but when it rains or gets humid it works like the 47%) or if you have enough loss that with enhanced propagation it works well and then the rest of the time it doesn't. You are saying that the antenna and coax connected to any other scanner/radio and everything works as it should, but as soon as you hook up to your XTS it does not work, do you get the out of range indicator or does your radio hear the control channel? You said the XTS works fine on the system on the rubber duck right?

Thanks

All antenna wiring is inside, so water isn't a concern. And yes, with that antenna/coax connected to any other radio they work just fine, it's only the XTS that acts strange. With the rubber duck on everything starts working again once I'm in range of the system. And no, I don't get an out of range message even if I take the ducky off while in the city... Even though I have the Out Of Range indicator set to 'Display Only' in the Radio Wide/General tab.

Thanks

If you are able to get the radio to work on the rubber duck but not the yagi I doubt you have an alignment problem. What kind of system are you trying to monitor (analog Smartzone, P25...?)

Thanks

It's a P25 Smartzone system. Not programmed as Smartzone and I am attempting to monitor the primary site. I'm in the city right now with the radio sitting beside me and it's working great with the rubber duck.

Neo No Longer Registered

Sounds like the system controller is switching control channels and you have one of the control channels inputed wrong in your radio.

Thanks

Unfortunately, no. Control channel hasn't changed for a while. Plus I'm confirming activity on the system at the same time via UniTrunker.

Thanks

Program up the site button. and check the rssi. I know the system your monitoring.

Thanks

Just another followup on this... tried the radio again tonight on 3 different antennas, the latest being a brand new yagi with a new chunk of LMR-400 and a different SMA adaptor. Same thing, control channel comes in when programmed conventionally, but no reception on the trunked side. Take the radio out to the truck, hook it up to the 800mhz NMO on the roof... works like a champ. Totally stumped.

Thanks

You by chance happen to have some sort of vertical antenna you can try in the attic in place of the yagi? Just a trial to see how it behaves...

Thanks

Is it possible you are actually locking on a different site? I say program up a site button and see what site its picking up, maybe you are overshooting the desired site.

twistedpos No Longer Registered

You may need to touch up the Non-affiliated part of your setup... The newer P25 requires a successful affiliation before it will begin to process rx audio. Our local system has multiple sites and even when the radio switches from one site to the other it has to affiliate with the new site in order to process audio. It may be touch and go with the configs.

twistedpos No Longer Registered

BTW, the requirement that radios affiliate before processing rx audio is a system option set in the zone controller and passed by P25, that option could have been enabled.

Thanks

You by chance happen to have some sort of vertical antenna you can try in the attic in place of the yagi? Just a trial to see how it behaves...

I do... but it's not currently installed. I'll maybe take a look at that this weekend.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    Is it possible you are actually locking on a different site? I say program up a site button and see what site its picking up, maybe you are overshooting the desired site.
    Nope... I only have 1 control channel programmed in, so it's definately not hitting another site.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedpos View Post
    You may need to touch up the Non-affiliated part of your setup... The newer P25 requires a successful affiliation before it will begin to process rx audio. Our local system has multiple sites and even when the radio switches from one site to the other it has to affiliate with the new site in order to process audio. It may be touch and go with the configs.
    That would make sense.... but it doesn't explain why the radio works great on rubber ducky (or mobile antenna on my truck) with the same system/same programming. That's why I'm so puzzled by all this