Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: "Commercial Grade" Air Band Transceiver

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location
    8.8.8.8
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 72 Times in 47 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default "Commercial Grade" Air Band Transceiver

    The recent discussions on the quality of the Baofeng radios reminded me of something that's been nagging me for a while.

    Why doesn't someone make more of a "commercial grade" portable aviation radio? I have an Icom IC-A6 which I'm generally happy with but my biggest gripe is that it feels more like an amateur grade radio than a professional communications device. It has the same plastic case as most of the amateur portables and just kinda feels cheaply made. On top of that, both of the top rotary selectors feel rather flimsy and turn so easily that simply brushing them will change volume or frequency.

    Now the big thing seems to be adding full color dot matrix screens and all kinds of other features. I am not instrument rated, so I can't speak to the practicality of flying an actual instrument approach referencing a portable radio, though I can see where it may have it's uses. On the comm only models, though, rather than fancy features and displays what's wrong with wrapping it in something like an HT1250 case?


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 04, 2012
    Posts
    1,690
    Thanks
    82
    Thanked 375 Times in 195 Posts

    Default

    Price. compared to the ham and commercial markets aviation sales are very low.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 27, 2018
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    Price. compared to the ham and commercial markets aviation sales are very low.
    Exactly. Look up pricing on technisonic equipment. Makes icom aviation division radios look like kenwood tm-281A VS motorola xpr5550e.

    We were needing to purchase aviation radios at work to replace some that were being removed by a former tenant. They had technisonic radios that costed 7500$ each, The icom replacement we opted for (due to price) was 1100$.
    Last edited by Astro Spectra; Sep 28, 2018 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Sentence start with capital letters please.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location
    8.8.8.8
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 72 Times in 47 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    Price. compared to the ham and commercial markets aviation sales are very low.
    I guess. Just would have been nice if they opted to put the guts inside an existing commercial case rather than the cheap ham one.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 30, 2012
    Location
    8.8.8.8
    Posts
    103
    Thanks
    804
    Thanked 72 Times in 47 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by reactorpwr View Post
    Exactly. Look up pricing on technisonic equipment. Makes icom aviation division radios look like kenwood tm-281A VS motorola xpr5550e.

    We were needing to purchase aviation radios at work to replace some that were being removed by a former tenant. They had technisonic radios that costed 7500$ each, The icom replacement we opted for (due to price) was 1100$.
    Different use cases, though. Technisonic specializes in aircraft mounted radios for operating on non-aviation bands using FM and/or digital modes. The Icom aviation radios are strictly for aviation band communication.

    My comment was directed specifically to portable aviation radios.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 09, 2012
    Posts
    297
    Thanks
    62
    Thanked 257 Times in 106 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    Different use cases, though. Technisonic specializes in aircraft mounted radios for operating on non-aviation bands using FM and/or digital modes. The Icom aviation radios are strictly for aviation band communication.

    My comment was directed specifically to portable aviation radios.
    While Technisonic does make Airborne FM radios, he was referring to the Ground based AM unit from Technisonic. http://til.ca/ground-based-am/

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to radioinstl For This Useful Post:

    box (Sep 28, 2018),Viper1-6 (Sep 28, 2018)