Thread: XPR5550 Audio Issue....

Thanks

Default XPR5550 Audio Issue....

Hi folks... I've got a VHF 5550 (of questionable ALT origins) that generally works just fine, but digital audio is noticeably louder than analog (unit is running current 'R' FW and has RX Audio Levelling). I've tried all I can think of and I can't seem to get a decent balance between the two of them. Could this be something that a proper alignment and tuning would help? Or is this just some weird ALT/DEV situation with this particular radio?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,473 Posts

Did you check to see if your Audio Ambience setting is configured for "Loud" on digital? This will give a considerable boost to digital audio, if engaged.

Alignment may make a difference, if rated audio isn't set right or if analog signals are considerably off-frequency (falling outside of the filter passband, on one side, could make things quiet -- but you'd also hear distortion and get packet loss on digital!)

Thanks

Is the transmit or receive audio the issue? FB

Thanks

Receive only from what I can tell. My audio preference is currently set to bass boost, which helps a little, but I've tried them all. That profile setting applies to analog and digital though, does it not? I didn't see anything indicating it was digital only.

Thanks

Alignment wont fix the issue. The difference is caused by the output from the AMBE being processed differently than the analog before being passed to the audio amp. Mars has some good info on the basic settings in another thread here on the site.

Thanks

Yeah I've tried all that stuff. I have many TRBO radios and the difference in analog vs digital audio on this radio is WAY out of whack. When you have the volume comfortable for analog comms a digital transmission will pretty much make you cringe it's so loud. Make digital sound good and you can barely hear analog. I'll just chalk it up to something wonky with this radio I guess....

Thanks

It could be a bad component in the analog audio path. A scope may locate a bad cap or something. The v1.0 rqadios have a few known issues such as the bad led displays on the 43xx/53xx units.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Forts View Post
    Hi folks... I've got a VHF 5550 (of questionable ALT origins) that generally works just fine, but digital audio is noticeably louder than analog (unit is running current 'R' FW and has RX Audio Levelling). I've tried all I can think of and I can't seem to get a decent balance between the two of them. Could this be something that a proper alignment and tuning would help? Or is this just some weird ALT/DEV situation with this particular radio?
    Might seem like a dumb question, but, are you listening to a narrowband analog station with wideband mode set?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Negative... wish it was something simple like that!

Thanks

I've had a 5550 for a couple of years and have the same problem. I tried every permutation of audio settings possible and still can't find a happy mode. Thankfully, I mostly don't use analog, so it's a rare issue for me to deal with. I don't think the 7550 is much better in this regard.