Thread: IMPRES Battery question

jlamanske No Longer Registered

Default IMPRES Battery question

Does anyone know the specific number of charges an IMPRES battery can take in a standard charger before it looses it's abilities? Also, when this happens can an IMPRES charger bring it back with a couple of conditioning cycles?
    I have seen little documentation from Motorola on this, and warranty aside, has anyone tested or figured it out?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

The battery degrades over time in the number of MaH the battery delivers. Say a "standard" battery has 2200 MaH. This when new out of the box will show up as charging to 2220 MaH and will indicate 110% of charge, or something like that. After a while, it will drop to 100% at 2200, and will continue to degrade until the battery gets to about 75% of rated capacity for that model, then the charger will alternate red/green when the battery is full to indicate it's ready, but at a degraded capacity. The battery will continue to work this way until it won't hold a charge at all. I have some really old batteries that only come up about 50-60% or so - they still work, but only last a few hours.

So there is no real limit on the number of cycles the battery can be charged - it will vary from battery to battery. Those old ones I mentioned have about 100-120 charge/discharge cycles on them or so. The battery counts the charge/discharge cycles as well as indicating the capacity remaining but there is no upper limit on the number of cycles enforced.

As for conditioning, the battery will instruct the charger to do this after a period of inactivity with the battery or every so often, maybe every 10th charge or something like that, if you have it in continuous daily use. You can force the battery to condition at any time (you should do it once when it's new to calibrate the battery initially) but you can make it happen by quickly pulling the battery and re-inserting it within 5-10 seconds or so. The indicator will turn yellow when conditioning otherwise it would go red to indicate normal rapid charging.

Thanks

I have a XTS5000 Impress battery that shows 382 charges. It only goes to 70% now, but still works for 7-8 hours. If I charge it in a non Impress charger, the batt mode in the radio doesn't show any info, but if I charge it again in the Impress charger, the battery gage will again work. GARY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 664 Posts

Gary, I have had nothing but weird problems like that with my Impres crap. Half the time the batteries won't show charge info, half the time they do. I ONLY use an Impres charger on them, but they are still flaky about not displaying capacity, the radio display shows dashes for the info (meaning it't not there) but somehow the piece of crap has no problem reading the serial number and chemistry type from the battery without issues.

The other problems I have are when the charger can't read that data either, it will error out on the batteries or attempt to go into condition on them and then come up with an error. Somehow non Impres batteries seem to charge and work OK, but the whole "smart battery" thing is a fiasco.

I have had all kinds of trouble with the crummy Impres garbage, in fact there's another thread on here about all the problems everyone has been having with them.

Well I have 3 IMPRES batteries. 2 show info just fine. The third is fairly new to me. Shows 3 charges, 100% capacity at 1845 mah. It's a 2100 mah NiMH battery. Shows 100% down to about 1400. The battery gauge is showing 2 out of 3 battery blips. I'm not sure which to believe.

Guess they changed the capacity of this model number battery between when it was made and now. With the same part number.

Thanks

Motorola also seems to constantly "upgrade" batteries models and assign new model numbers. I got a battery with a used XTS 5000 that I bought and looked up the model number to figure out the mah. I found out that it was sold with new XTS3000 for a brief period of time and was 1700 mah. Yet, it lasts longer than a 1900 mah moto battery that I bought new in July...
    I'm the guy standing in background shaking his head when people show a complete lack of common sense....

"The very nature of public safety work causes Charles Darwin to spin in his grave."

Thanks

I just recently picked up a nos XTS3000/5000 NNTN6034A battery. Date code 905, it was never used, but almost 4 years old. I was the first to charge it. Rated at 4150 mah, it shows 4136 mah on the radio, & it shows 100% efficiency. I lucked out on this one. GARY

Thanks

I picked up a used XTS2500 battery at work which has been charged in non-Impres charger (but genuine Motorola one) for three years (!). I put it in my Impres charger at home, it went through the recondition and now it works perfectly - always displays the battery gauge and shows about 146 cycles when I request the detailed info. So i figured out, that Impres charger or not, the battery "remembers" all the cycles anyway.

I also noticed, that XTS2500 with firmware versions prior to R09.00.00 may not indicate the battery gauge when the remaining capacity is below 30-40 %.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,323 Times in 1,804 Posts

I have several IMPRES batteries which do what Alpha described: They sometimes show IMPRES info, and sometimes just dashes without a battery gauge. Kind of annoying, but whatever

I'm still not "IMPRESsed" with the fact Moto calls their speaker-mics and other accessories "IMPRES". Save the term for batteries!

Spencer4Hire No Longer Registered

I have a problem with with my xts5000 radio! I use impress batteries two of them are a week old OEM and fully charged. When I apply to radio for a couple minutes I will get the battery widget in upper right corner with all the bars, then it will show zero bars and flash, as well as the low battery chirp. The impress battery information in the radio shows battery at 100% fully charged. The batteries show 7.5 volts, so there is a problem with radio. Does anyone know what the problem may be?

Has anyone cloned the Impres technology for aftermarket batteries yet? I see "Impres smart batteries" for sale on Ebay, made by Titan. And for the gentleman with the battery problem. Sounds like the battery level needs fixed in the tuner.