Thread: Systems Saber channel selector stop.

Thanks

Default Systems Saber channel selector stop.

Ok I have this Systems Saber on my bench where the channel knob is missing.

While trying to replace it I found the switch seemed to be stopped at 12 positions not 16. I removed the threaded collar but did not find a stop pin of any sort.

I twisted the shaft back and forth and now it seems to have 16 positions, but it does not seem the shaft is positioning to line the knob at channel one when rotated to the CCW stop. I am doing something wrong here.

Is there a trick?

Any thoughts!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

The Systems Saber knob/core has 16 not 12 channels on the selector like a regular Saber, you may have the wrong one. Or, you might just have the wrong core (inner plastic part) of the knob, like from a volume control instead of a channel selector. There are 3 cores, red (volume?), sky blue and green. I don't remember exactly which one is which, but you have among the 3: Volume, 12 channel (saber) Channel, and 16 channel (systems saber) Channel.

Also, I think the channel stops were little metal disc washers that had a little tab on them that hit the knob stop, and has nubs on the bottom to keep it from rotating with respect to the radio body. It may have simply fallen off without the knob in place to retain it, but I think they were only used on the regular Saber radios, not the Systems Sabers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    The Systems Saber knob/core has 16 not 12 channels on the selector like a regular Saber, you may have the wrong one. Or, you might just have the wrong core (inner plastic part) of the knob, like from a volume control instead of a channel selector. There are 3 cores, red (volume?), sky blue and green. I don't remember exactly which one is which, but you have among the 3: Volume, 12 channel (saber) Channel, and 16 channel (systems saber) Channel.

Also, I think the channel stops were little metal disc washers that had a little tab on them that hit the knob stop, and has nubs on the bottom to keep it from rotating with respect to the radio body. It may have simply fallen off without the knob in place to retain it, but I think they were only used on the regular Saber radios, not the Systems Sabers.
    It indeed clicks 16 positions. The insert is green I think. But there is no tab on or above the threaded collar. So what you are saying is that the stop is between the top of the radio and the knob insert? There are no pins inside the selector switch?

I got into this because the knob fell apart and while changing it it appeared that it only selected 12 positions, then after removing the insert , I found I had 16 positions, but can't make sense of getting the insert and knob to point to the right position #1 to start.

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 701 Posts

In the printed Saber training manual, I recall a section on how to install knobs on various radios including the SaberR.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    It indeed clicks 16 positions. The insert is green I think. But there is no tab on or above the threaded collar. So what you are saying is that the stop is between the top of the radio and the knob insert? There are no pins inside the selector switch?

I got into this because the knob fell apart and while changing it it appeared that it only selected 12 positions, then after removing the insert , I found I had 16 positions, but can't make sense of getting the insert and knob to point to the right position #1 to start.

Since the Systems Saber has 16 channels, I don't believe it used the channel stop ring washer I described; I think that was for the regular Saber with only 12 channels. But yes, it was a washer with little teeth that dug into the radial grooves on top of the radio, and had a small metal tab that kept the knob from rotating further. But as I said you shouldn't need one of those.

The core only fits into the knob one way due to vanes on the core fitting into slots in the knob body. That keeps you from mixing the wrong cores with the Volume or Channel knob outsides. If you have a properly matched pair, it should be foolproof, the knob core fits on the shaft one way because the shaft has a "D" profile, and the knob outside only fits on the core one way due to the vanes. You shouldn't be able to mix it up or get it wrong unless you have the wrong core/knob combination, like from a Saber. Otherwise, they should be keyed and impossible to get wrong, other than maybe having the core installed upside down, and I don't think you can do that, either.