Thread: AVTEC with MOTOTRBO LCP

Thanks

Default AVTEC with MOTOTRBO LCP

Greetings all,

I am looking for opinions on AVTEC consoles used on a MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus Multi-site system. 5 sites with GPS. Has anyone on this group done this and how did it go? Any issues?

System would be 9 dispatch positions, mostly Scouts. Need GPS also, I've heard that Tallysman has a good solution that integrates well with AVTEC. They have used CTI Radio Pro in the past for GPS with no issues.

Thanks much!

Mike

Thanks

Can't speak for LCP. The direct IPSC works, but ...

We had issues, but we were not privy to the solutions that MOT and Avtec applied. They have an agreement. The shops may report a suspected issue between Trbo and Avtec, but the shop gets dropped from the conversation. Avtec and MOT remote in to do their thing, and then tell they're done without explanation.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

MikeCav (Oct 04, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the input. We had similar situation with SMartPTT. Had Many, many issues mostly SMartPTT but Moto as well. SmartPTT would come out with a patch to fix one thing then 2 or 3 more issues would crop up. Hundreds of hours expended on remote sessions, installing updates, installing newer versions of software, reprogramming radios, etc. All non-billable of course. I finally got to email with a high tier Motorola tech which was a nice surprise.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,473 Posts

Sure would be nice if Moto NA would allow the Network Application Interface Voice & Data EIDs to be sold/activated. Every TRBO console I saw was linked in via RF, just like a subscriber. Total ghetto solution.

If anyone reading is unfamiliar with these EIDs, essentially they enable certain ports on the master repeater. You can then connect the console via IP, into the network -- like it was intended. So many benefits.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Bill_G (Oct 04, 2018),box (Oct 06, 2018),MikeCav (Oct 05, 2018)

Thanks

Network issues causing the Avtec to lose connection to the IPSC master were the biggest problem for us. The customer had better luck using the "backup" base connected by Outpost in the same room plugged into the same router. Eventually, that was how they always used it. They gave up on the direct connection to the MTR3K master across the street in an upper level parking structure closet. Physically they were separated by a few hundred feet, but through their network, it was several hops away. We never got a full description of their topology. But, Motorola never told us what they did, and neither did Avtec. Oddly, the IPSC master stayed connected to the peers just fine across the same network. The backup base got the job done.

So, if Avtec says they can boogie LCP, I'd ask for a demonstration.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill_G For This Useful Post:

Mars (Oct 04, 2018),MikeCav (Oct 05, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCav View Post
    Greetings all,

I am looking for opinions on AVTEC consoles used on a MOTOTRBO Capacity Plus Multi-site system. 5 sites with GPS. Has anyone on this group done this and how did it go? Any issues?

System would be 9 dispatch positions, mostly Scouts. Need GPS also, I've heard that Tallysman has a good solution that integrates well with AVTEC. They have used CTI Radio Pro in the past for GPS with no issues.

Thanks much!

Mike
    Mike,

We work with Avtec and have a number of LCP systems up using the VPGate (Voice MNIS) and Outposts (Control Stations) as backup to the network. The monitoring SNMP is very robust with the Avtec DMS talking to our SNMPD and allowing us to make notification and open tickets (in some cases) for critical and major errors.. We are even in the process of doing a Capacity Max right now with a customer who is upgrading their Capacity Plus and Avtec Consoles. Remember much of what travels on the Lan segments is Multi-cast traffic and the network / segment designs must account for this.

GPS in any of it's forms is data, and should have data revert slots for transport and really should be going through a Data MNIS to a product like ours and then being pushed to the mapping tool you select. (There are Many).. You just have to understand the limitations of the RF channels and the window process to make sure you are not "over reporting" or for finite high speed turn by turn you need a way (box or option board code) to buffer multiple reports into larger transmittable packets.

I am traveling till next Wednesday (10th) but will be happy to do a call with you to further discuss your needs and offer my opinion / experience. PM Me if you are interested..

Jeff --

Voice MNIS - Developed and Supported Product of the Partner. Motorola Licensed Interface limited to a select few.
    Data MNIS - Developed and Supported Product of Motorola, Licensed for usage across the platform.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to phonebuff For This Useful Post:

MikeCav (Oct 08, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the information Jeff,

I will send you a PM so I can take you up on the phone call, thank you. We are in the process of setting up a demo from Avtec for the customer. Need it to be public safety grade, reliable and free of bugs if that is possible. I had all the GPS timing/setup worked out on the current SmartPTT system using a dedicated data repeater at each site and one minute updates using enhanced GPS, working well.

Mike

Thanks

Avtec and LCP is a VERY reliable IP wireline interface. Works perfectly with great voice quality.