Thread: Peculiar Behavior: EFJ 5100ES Rx Audio Feedback

Thanks

Default Peculiar Behavior: EFJ 5100ES Rx Audio Feedback

I have a rather, peculiar issue with a EFJ 5100ES radio I own, and I wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this type of problem (or even something similar).

The radio seems to develop/get audio feedback when Rx long transmissions. It almost seems as if the mic is live during a Rx (and no, I am absolutely certain, the radio is NOT Tx during these events. I had it occur on one occasion while attached to a service monitor and there was no observable RF being emitted). It seems to occur most frequently when the volume is set quite loud.

As a side note in the programming, the Rx Gains, are slightly high at 5dB (I believe the maximum is 6dB). I haven't as of yet been able to reprogram the unit with lower gains to see if perhaps thats the problem.

Has anyone else observed the same or similar issue with the EFJ 5100ES (v6 radios)?
    - Bryan
    "So the best solution is to paint them to blue color and throw them to the sea?" in reference to MTS2000 F01/93.

Thanks

I have before. Sometimes static can get into the front end causing the issue you describe. If you do take it apart be very careful. You can trash the PCB flex connector if you put the housing on wrong. I almost lost one to the pins shredding.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtaman For This Useful Post:

synegy3488 (Oct 08, 2018)

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 692 Posts

Sounds like a microphonics issue. Attach a speaker mike, get it far away from the radio and see if the problem goes away. As gtaman asserts, the fix is cleaning up the non-linear portions of the front end causing it.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

synegy3488 (Oct 08, 2018)