Thread: XTS3000 Programming Interruption Failure

yayomoto No Longer Registered

bang XTS3000 Programming Interruption Failure

I have an old XTS 3000 (R05.02.00 / H09KDC9PW5AN) that I broke a couple days ago as CPS crashed and/or the serial cable bumped loose.

It powers on and produces an error beep and nothing works. When I read it in CPS (using SMARTrib) it complains:

"BLOCK CHECKSUM FAILED FOR CONVENTIONAL PERSONALITY BLOCK"
    "BLOCK CHECKSUM FAILED FOR INTERNAL RADIO BLOCK"

Finally, the last error is:

ERROR READING FROM IMAGE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO UNPACK EXTERNAL RADIO BLOCK. UNPACK FAILED.

So I opened my cpg backup from several days prior to this, and when writing it tells me my radio codeplug has been inhibited. This is false, plus as I used the code plug up until my CPS blunder.

Any suggestions? Thanks

Thanks

Do you have an S-Record from the radio by chance?

I had an Astro Saber that I had something similar happen with. Try seeing if the radio will go into test mode and try programming it from there. That revived my Saber - worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Durchschnitt View Post
    Do you have an S-Record from the radio by chance?
    No that part isn't very clear to me. I only have the codeplug file.

Quote Originally Posted by Durchschnitt View Post
    I had an Astro Saber that I had something similar happen with. Try seeing if the radio will go into test mode and try programming it from there. That revived my Saber - worth a try.
    Didn't work Thanks it was worth a try!

This should be in the Astro section not Astro 25....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yayomoto View Post
    This should be in the Astro section not Astro 25....
    You're right, please read the forum description before clicking new thread.

Thanks

The errors your seeing is obviously from the corrupt write to the radio. since the CPS is at least talking to the radio its not beyond hope. First if you have a good codeplug you should be able to create a srecord of it using MTSX Lab 3.00.02. next write that srecord to the radio. The srecord write does not do any type of codeplug validation it should just load directly to the unit. one that is done try reading the codeplug with the cps.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    The errors your seeing is obviously from the corrupt write to the radio. since the CPS is at least talking to the radio its not beyond hope. First if you have a good codeplug you should be able to create a srecord of it using MTSX Lab 3.00.02. next write that s-record to the radio. The s-record write does not do any type of codeplug validation it should just load directly to the unit. one that is done try reading the codeplug with the cps.
    Thank you, that sounds very straight forward. I wasn't able to get my hands on that specific version. In desperation, I attempted to create a new codeplug using an ancient RSS from '93 designed for a Saber (sorry I cant recall the specific version). I know what you're thinking and I agree, that's as stupid as cloning one model to another. Common sense but even the manual says that's a no no. Anyways..

No RSS software can "read" my codeplug, even one I found for astro portables. I assume a codeplug must be converted to an archive file. There are no such tools on the moto CDs.
    To make a long story short, I believe I have a codeplug for a Saber on the radio now. When I attempt to read the device in CPS, the checksum errors are gone and now it tells me about incompatible features. It then opens as per usual, and this "codeplug" has all the features I should have. If I write that back, or my existing good code plug, it now spits out "RADIO AND CODEPLUG FEATURE SET ARE DIFFERENT".

If it helps I have H35 system package, 101001-000000-5.

Hopefully i didn't really mess it up, but like I said CPS can still talk to it, see its serial, see its astro id etc. Will your advice still save me? Thanks again.

Thanks

You created a codeplug with an analog saber then tried forcing it into an astro saber?

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    You created a codeplug with an analog saber then tried forcing it into an astro saber?
    I created a codeplug in RSS designed for a Saber and dumped it into an XTS3000. Im not sure what got written, when I read it, it loads with a big warning, shows all my features and one personality as I expected. When i write it back, or atempt to write the good codeplug, I get the radio and codeplug feature set mismatch error.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 677 Posts

It sounds like he used a very early Lab RSS for Astro Sabers. I seriously doubt that the original analog Saber software would EVER work for something like that. The problem is the early Astro saber software was prior to P25 (VSELP only) so the created codeplug is not compatible with the later firmware the radio has in it now.

It sounds like if someone can send him an S-record, he might be able to plant that in the radio using the old software, possibly. Otherwise the radio is too "new" for the software you're using (or the software is too "old" for the radio, whichever you prefer )

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    It sounds like he used a very early Lab RSS for Astro Sabers. I seriously doubt that the original analog Saber software would EVER work for something like that. The problem is the early Astro saber software was prior to P25 (VSELP only) so the created codeplug is not compatible with the later firmware the radio has in it now.

It sounds like if someone can send him an S-record, he might be able to plant that in the radio using the old software, possibly. Otherwise the radio is too "new" for the software you're using (or the software is too "old" for the radio, whichever you prefer )
    That would be nice

I have a copy of R03.00.02 now. I dug up a post by Notarola on another thread, but I'm a little confused, Should step two be "codeplug":

1 From the Main menu select F3 then F6.
    2 select the s-record you want.
    3 Press F2 to read the archive without unpack. If you unpack it you will mess up the file and have to start over.
    4 From the Main menu select F3 then F4 then F8 then F8 to write the radios internal and external codeplugs.
    5 When this is done, the radio will now be an exact copy of the srecord you selected.
    6 To change the serial number read the radio, save the file, open the file and select F5 clone. Enter in your s/n. write the radio.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 677 Posts

We really don't support or give out instructions on the use of Lab tools in general, but in short, no, you need an S-Record, not an encrypted codeplug to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    We really don't support or give out instructions on the use of Lab tools in general, but in short, no, you need an S-Record, not an encrypted codeplug to do that.
    Ok Thanks!

Does anyone have an S-Record they can send me?

So I found an srecord, and when i programed the radio it jumped to 63 blocks. Original was 12 blocks. The radio now makes a very loud error beep on startup. Attempting to read without unpack gives me a Request not ACKed Error. I own a paperweight now I believe.

Thanks

the 63 blocks show that it was a large codeplug srecord.

sometimes a bit of patience and walking through a proceedure before doing it will solve alot of problems. you may still be able to rescue it.

first try the tuning software and see if the radio responds correctly. dont change anything just confirm that the radio and tuner communicate.

next check the info on the codeplug (srecord) you loaded specifically model type/flash and band also if possible the cps version it came from. A mis matched flash isnt an issue. what we are trying to learn is how bad is the codeplug mismatched to the radio. it is entirly possible that you just have a firmware incompatability. Do not write anything to the radio we dont want to add in anymore variables. so far you just have a bad codeplug loaded to the radio. it should be overwritable if done right.

sometimes a bit of patience and walking through a proceedure before doing it will solve alot of problems.
    I agree with you 100%, this is ALL a result of user error. Thank you for your patience.

I wasn't able to communicate with Tuner version R01.02.00 (Windows CD). Message: Communication with the radio failed.

CPS has me cycle the power and I am able to obtain radio configuration showing:

FLASHcode: 000A02-0A0001-5 (Should be 101001-000000-5)
    System Package: H36 (Should be H35)

CPS produces the same message as Tuner.

This time I will wait patiently and stop doing things I shouldn't. I still hope its not a brick.

The S-Record I used was XTS3K9600srec.zip

Thanks

Do you see anything wrong with the s-record you linked to? That is a 9600 s-record and unless you have a specific firmware revision it isn't going to work. Do you want help or are you just going to go doing things on your own making it worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Pezking View Post
    Do you see anything wrong with the s-record you linked to? That is a 9600 s-record and unless you have a specific firmware revision it isn't going to work. Do you want help or are you just going to go doing things on your own making it worse?
    I know I assumed it wouldn't let me do anything more/less based on my feature set. Another ridiculous blunder is its for UHF.

I would appreciate help, my hands are off it until such time.

Thanks

the first thing that you will need to do is locate a srecord for the right split and model number. is it a VHF and is it a full display unit etc.

the first thing that you will need to do is locate a srecord for the right split and model number. is it a VHF and is it a full display unit etc.
    Model: H09KDC9PW5AN

146-178 MHz
    4.0-5.0 W
    Standard Control, no Display

Can anyone please send me a S-Record for this model?

Thanks

Another issue is the fact RSS reports a "fatal" serial communication error. It thinks the radio is off. If i do get a good S-Record, i'm wondering if it will even accept it at this point?

Thanks

The fatal error is probably due to the codeplug being so messed up as far as the radio is concerned that the CPS just gives up trying to process it. This is actually a good thing as it indicated that the CPS is actually communictaing with the radio.

The fatal error is probably due to the codeplug being so messed up as far as the radio is concerned that the CPS just gives up trying to process it. This is actually a good thing as it indicated that the CPS is actually communictaing with the radio.
    Sorry for the confusion, MTSX Lab is giving me fatal error. It "thinks" the radio must be off as there is no serial communication.

CPS tells me "Communication with radio failed" after 10-15 seconds. Normally if its a cable issue that would be reported instantly. Anyways, the only time CPS will access the radio is when I "Read Radio Configuration". In this instance, it has me power-cycle the radio then press OK. When it boots up it appears to have "paused" the boot, reads it, then resumes boot after it has the data and produces error beep.

When the radio turns on, a very loud error beep is produced regardless of the actual volume level. With a corrupted codeplug, the error beep is similar, only at a low volume.

I may get my hands on another similar 3000 I can get the S-Record from tomorrow, fingers crossed.