Thread: MCC7550 Encryption GPS Issues

Thanks

Default MCC7550 Encryption GPS Issues

We are in the process of converting our XTS radios to APX radios and are hoping to utilize AES encryption when the conversion is complete. We've tested a couple of radios and the radios will pass encrypted audio to the console, but the console will not allow us to select encrypted transmit. I think this has to do with the way our prior IT person configured the recorder. It is currently configured as a phone line, with the radio audio being patched to an analog phone line channel. If we disable the recorder, we can use encryption. We are exploring a new recording system, as ours is outdated and not really designed for our needs anyway. Is there a way to configure the console to do both the patch and encrypted audio?

Another issue we have is that none of the APX radios can run GPS at all. We had hoped that when we get AVL support we can use the GPS on the radios, but if a user has their GPS turned on, the audio is incredibly choppy where its completely unintelligible. We've been through the settings and can't figure this one out. Field users have no issues. The issue persists whether on the repeater or simplex.

Thanks

As far as choppy audio on the subscribers, unless you have GPS support on the system, the portables are going to try to report their location persistently without receiving a positive acknowledgement. This could be causing choppy audio on the RX.

The other problems with console audio not passing secure audio sounds like some programming problems, not necessarily the logging recorder. If you have DIU's at the console, you should be able to record clear text audio after decryption.

Do you have a Motorola Systems Technologist involved in this? Were you running the system in P25 CAI before this change or were you in analog mode?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

phonebuff (Oct 15, 2018)

Thanks

Do you have RX voice interrupts data and Priority scan voice interrupts data enabled on the subscribers? What firmware version, there was some voice while running data fixes in at least one version if not more. Do you have the infrastructure for AVL/Data?

Thanks

Really need more information on the system architecture to better answer this. I gather it's conventional and not trunked, but it is current ASTRO25 architecture or legacy stuff with Quantars and DIUs? What model/version of console system are you running?

IV&D over conventional (which you absolutely need to do anything with GPS location data) is not impossible, but it requires a lot more backend hardware and system planning that is mostly built-in on a P25 trunking system.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Conventional VHF P25. We have been P25 for 20 years, and are phasing out our XTS3000s and Astro Spectras with DES encryption to APX subscribers with AES. Our infrastructure is equally as old. We currently run a Quantar base station in dispatch with Quantars as the repeaters. It's a 3 site simulcast with UHF links as a voted system, all Quantars. We are currently looking at the local state system as an option in lieu of replacing our entire infrastructure. There is no DIU that I'm aware of, or have yet to see. We're working on cleaning up numerous messes left by our predecessors.

I was able to keyload the keys into the consoles directly, via the port on the back. The consoles can receive the secure audio without a problem, so it seems that that part worked correctly. The problem is that the console physically does not allow us to click the secure transmit button to reply back in secure mode. It bonks and does not let us click it.

As for the GPS, right now we do not have anything to receive the data on the console end. We are working with our CAD vendor to see if we can get the data to import in, but as of yet, have not made any progress with that. The main thing our units use the GPS features for is to mark a location for an investigation while they are in the woods, but they must remember to turn the GPS off before they can transmit, which does not always happen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dasnps View Post
    The problem is that the console physically does not allow us to click the secure transmit button to reply back in secure mode. It bonks and does not let us click it.
    You need to check the resource configuration in Provisioning Manager and make sure that selectable encryption is enabled. I'm going to venture a guess that your console system is running on a K core so I have no idea where PM resides... I only speak M core.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

It's called Configuration Manager in K-core, and it should reside on the CM server. The CM server pushes out database information to both the consoles and the Conventional Site Controllers that operate the system. There are one or two CSC's depending on the level of K core they have (K1/K2).

I agree that the resource configuration, CKR ID, or something in between is likely configured incorrectly.

At some point there was clearly a console upgrade from Gold Elite, if they've been P25 for "20 years".

There may be DIU's left over from the old configuration for logging, but I would doubt it. If this is MCC 7500, and configured properly, the VPM would take the place of the DIU's.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to d119 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Nov 08, 2018)