Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XTL5000 Transmit LED lit on Power Up...

Thanks

Default XTL5000 Transmit LED lit on Power Up...

I just got in a UHF Low split mid power XTL5000 with a W4 head in remote configuration. I hooked 12v to the back of the radio and 12v to the green & orange wires on the control head. When turning on the radio, the transmit LED illuminates until the mode buttons or the encryption button is pressed. Then the LED goes off and the radio emits a steady tone. Nothing short of turning the radio off makes the tone stop.

The front of the radio is different. It looks just like an Astro Spectra remote plate as it is missing the round connector.

The programming cable will be here tomorrow.

Am I missing something obvious? I tried putting a jumper between pins 14 & 15 on the 26 pin connector, but I got the same results. Hopefully it's just something in the programming.

Thanks,
    Scott

Thanks

Well, when the radio turns on and the LED is lit, the radio is putting out a constant 30 Watts. After pressing the mode or the SecureNet buttons, it stops putting out RF (drops to zero). I can turn the radio on/off several times and get it to display KEYFAIL. After I try to dump a key into the radio, the T3011DX displays FAIL. The radio then is quite, but the buttons only make a bad button press sound and I cannot transmit at all.

Thanks

Okay. I got the cable in today and can read and write to the radio. I went through all of the MDC/Emergency settings and none were enabled. I made a few changes, but the radio still has the same problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Lets try putting in a blank code plug. Can you pm me?

Jason

Thanks

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks

A blank code plug did not resolve the issue.

Jason

kk4eqb No Longer Registered

Can you get a code plug from another xts 5000 and write it to yours

jim202 No Longer Registered

Is this a used radio that you got from another person?

By any chance is the emergency set on in the radio software? No connector on the accessory connector can cause this problem, if the emergency mode is set on in the software. (The normal accessory connector with the ignition wire from Motorola has the short from emergency to ground installed.)

If you don't have the accessory connector installed, you need to put a jumper on the accessory connector from ground to the emergency pin to keep the radio from trying to go into the emergency mode. Once your able to program the radio, you can go in and disable this mode of operation.

Jim

Thanks

I got it off of Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Motorol...vip=true&rt=nc

It is not the emergency jumper. I tried putting in the jumper and then my programming cable has the jumper as well. There are no MDC options set and no emergency options set either. I am able to read and write to the radio, it just will not stop transmitting upon power up until you hit a mode or the secure buttons, then the steady tone will not stop.

I'm probably going to send it to the Depot for flat rate repair... $500 is pretty steep, but at least it'll be fixed when it returns.

Thanks

Those XTL's with the Spectra style heads I believe are very early version production. The new version has the O style heads with the 5 gray buttons along the bottom of the display.

If the radio came from the factory as a dash mount and was field retrofitted for remote mount I believe you have to install jumpers on one of the boards to silence the emergency. Using the jumper in the rear connector will only work on the dash mounts.

I believe the tone you are hearing is the time out timer tone since you state that the radio goes into transmit right away it might be timing out and that could be the warning tone you are hearing.

Another possibility would be a mismatched pair. The spectra head might not be appropriate one for the radio you have and it's doing weird things.

Thanks

That is promising news. I only have a W9 and a W4 head to test with and I don't have the interconnect to make it a dash mount radio. Both heads exhibit the same behavior.

Are these jumpers on the control head or the main board? And for the idiot question of the day, how do you get the thing apart? I pulled the remote faceplate off to pull the secure module, because I thought that may have been causing the issue; it was not. I also took all of the Torx screws out, but it did not come apart. I didn't want to force anything, so I put all of the screws back.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Thanks

The covers are "O" ring sealed so if you take all the screws out you do have to pry the cover off. But be gentle so you don't cut the "O" ring. It's possible that you might have to remove the remote mount face plate from the front of the radio first before you can take the covers off but I am not sure. If you can get the cover up a little, just enough to peek inside, it might give you a clue as to how to proceed further. Some of the covers have protrusions that go down through the boards and if this is the case with this radio then you need to pull the cover straight up and not on an angle to get it off.

I believe on the dash mount you do remove the control head first then remove the top cover.

I don't know for sure but if I recall correctly the jumpers go on one of the boards in the radio unit itself. I remember reading a paragraph about it when I was browsing the CD manual that the new ones come with. It's possible that the owners manual might be posted on this site somewhere already but being new myself I haven't tried to look for it.

If you can decode the serial number that will give you an idea of how old it is and then you can determine if the W4 head is right for that radio. I believe the original XTL's might have come out sometime in the late 1990's or early 2000's about the same time as the spectra' were still available. They didn't come out with the "O" style head until much later in their life.

Thanks

Good deal. This radio came with a user manual, an installation manual, brand new speaker, mic, and control head. The drawer looks new as well. It looks like it was never put in use. The control head is in great shape too, but it is used. Probably a 9/10.

Too tired to do anything tonight. I'll read through the manuals tomorrow for the jumper locations. Thank you again.

Thanks

Date of manufacture was 31 May 2005. Warranty ended 02 Jun 2006 and the extended warranty ended 02 Jun 2008. I verified this through MOL.

Thanks

I got a chance to look through the Installation Manual today and found the following.

Quote Originally Posted by Astro XTL5000 Installation Manual
    3.2.1.1.1 W9 Control Head
    1. Remove JU23 (emergency to ground) from the W9 control head.
    2. Connect a jumper wire between pin 27 (emergency) and pin 3 (VIP IN 2) of P103 inside the W9 control head.
    3. Remove R84 (if installed) from the W9 control head.
    4. Install the emergency switch between pins 3 (VIP IN 2) and 20 (ground) of the control head back connector.

3.2.1.1.2 W4/5/7 Control Head
    1. Remove JU1008 (emergency to ground) from the control head remote back housing (HLN6432_).
    2. Place JU1007 (emergency to VIP IN 2) on the control head remote back housing (HLN6432_).
    3. Remove R84 (if installed) from the W4/5/7 control head.
    4. Install the emergency switch between pins 3 (VIP IN 2) and 20 (ground) of the control head back connector.
    I hope I can make more since of this this weekend when I'm not as tired.

Thanks

I just looked this up quick. Those jumper changes are only if using an emergency function number one and if setting your install up with an external emergency trigger (push button or switch). Don't waste you time reviewing it further. You don't even have emergency turned on in your plug.

Thanks

It makes mention that even if you don't have emergency turned on in the codeplug that you still must have the jumper in place. And then it goes on to tell about remote setups and their jumper configs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rescue161 View Post
    It makes mention that even if you don't have emergency turned on in the codeplug that you still must have the jumper in place. And then it goes on to tell about remote setups and their jumper configs.
    It only needs to be there in dismount configuration. Your using remote. Wonder if the unit was perhaps used with an aftermarket vrs?? Some require internal mods. Any obvious work done to the uniboard ?

Thanks

I haven't taken it apart yet. I've heard there are jumpers on the main board, but don't have a service manual...

Thanks

I tried a dash mount flex and a W4 and a W7 head. Same problem. I took the radio apart and inspected the board for obvious work and saw none. Any other options before I pack this thing away to send to the Depot? Who do I need to contact to send this thing to Mexirola?

Thanks

Checck to see that OTAR in the secure section is turned off. The radio might be trying to load a Key, transmitting a keyload request.

mm

Thanks

I checked that, but it didn't help. I'm certain the board is FUBAR.

Thanks

You probably have already check your power supply for both correct voltage and that it can provide the current required for the radio. Just making sure....

Bill

Thanks

Yes. I've got 13.8 Volts on the power supply feeding the radio to the power plug and to the 26-Pin connector.

I bought a second XTL5000 from a different seller and it just keeps showing FL 01-90 and goes into Maintenance Mode and displays Local Device. The seller had me sync the head, which did not fix the issue, so he's giving me a refund.

I bought a NIB XTL5000 the other day, so hopefully I can put all of this behind me.

Thanks

So, after all this time, the XTL5000 still has not fixed itself, so is there anyone out there that can fix this thing or should I flat-rate repair it through MOL?