Thread: Astro Spectra questions and VHF W4 Srec help please

Thanks

Default Astro Spectra questions and VHF W4 Srec help please

Hi,
    A question for the Astro Spectra folks if I may,
    I have a VHF Astro Spectra here that is a trunk mount unit, but I don't have the head for it.
    Reading it, it is model T04KHF9PW5AN, I cannot get hold of a W5 head but I have picked up a brand new W4 remote head and cabling, if I was to get hold of a W4 VHF srec, is there any reason why I couldn't read it, save the current srec, then copy down all the tuning parameters and then force in a W4 srec?
    I would then have to edit all the tuning values but I would at least have a working radio that I can use.

the second issue is I need to put it on the 2m amateur band so 144-146MHz, I have read about P25 not working well out of band but assume that analog is ok?.

Assuming that what I have written is correct, would anyone have such a W4 srec for VHF that they could let me have please.

Regards
    Tony

Thanks

That is exactly how you would do it in fact.

As per the P25 issue, that's only on Astro Spectra Plus's as far as I'm aware. Regular Astro Spectras work out of band on P25 just fine.

Check out the codeplug supersite for an Srecord. I might have something but I'd have to dig through my DOS files.

Thanks

P25 won't transmit properly out of band. I've modified a few units successfully from the information below.

See here: https://communications.support/threa...-Deviation-Fix

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    not true does not constitute false

Thanks

Interesting. I've done multiple UHF2 and a few VHF spectras and never needed to fix anything for proper P25 out of band.

Thanks

I may have a W5 head. I'll check as soon as I get home.
    "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

Thanks

I have 4. 2 main control heads and 2 rear control heads. All 4 are for a remote mount configuration, but can be easily swapped to a dash mount. Send me a PM if you decide you want to stick with a W5. One of these still has the screen protector on it.
    "My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives".

Thanks

Thanks all for the information given, the problem is I cannot get a W5 head here, but I have the W4 head. which actually would be better for me to be honest as I am mounting the radio in my landrover and I like the idea of a rotary volume control,

I wish to make the radio work with the W4 head, hence requesting a srec for a VHF W4.
    Astro Spectra's were not much used in the UK, I think only one organisation ever had them, so they are quite rare beasts over here.

I looked on the supersite but couldn't find W4, there were a few W3's and I think a W7.

regards
    Tony.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Interesting. I've done multiple UHF2 and a few VHF spectras and never needed to fix anything for proper P25 out of band.
    The SERA ham spectrum allocation guide was set up for VHF so that any "digital" repeater was over 146MHz - we did it specifically so we can set up repeaters and use surplus equipment without all the hackery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    The last version of firmware released removed the OOB deviation limit. R07.71.00/N08.03.05 IIRC. I haven't tried it on a VHF R2 radio, but can confirm it works on UHF R3 radios.

Astro Spectra Plus radios still need codeplug modification for full OOB deviation, but use different tools and a different procedure than the link posted above.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

p47r4ck (Nov 10, 2018)