Thread: A Warning about KPG-D1N Licensing

Thanks

Default A Warning about KPG-D1N Licensing

Hi all,

A cautionary tale learned via firsthand experience. Had my programming laptop die recently, with KPG-D1N activated on it. Didn't even think twice since I don't do that much Kenwood programming but when I went to activate the software on the new laptop, I realized that I had left it activated on the old PC and had as such essentially lost the license.

So I called up my dealer (KD4EFM) and asked what could be done. He said if I provided him with the original license files and the new machine ID things would be all peachy in a few business days. However, he quickly called back with bad news. Kenwood's corporate policy is that wideband licenses cannot be reissued under any circumstances. This means that if you're using a wideband-enabled KPG-D1N and your PC dies, you'll have to rebuy the CPS license.

A tough lesson to learn, but from now on I'm going to be deactivating the software after every use. I've already wasted $120 and I'm not going to do that again. Just putting this out here to anyone else, be careful. If you don't use the wideband-enabled D1N, you're fine and you can get the license back. But if you're like me and use your NX5000 for ham operation, be extra careful about leaving your software activated.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to axel For This Useful Post:

BMWTech (Nov 09, 2018),box (Nov 06, 2018),khw (Nov 03, 2018),MTS2000DES (Nov 09, 2018)

Thanks

Thanks for the warning. That’s pure BS and might be a breach of contract. Check your license. Or, somebody is handing out bad info.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 06, 2018)

Thanks

According to KD4EFM (who has been in fairly constant contact with the Kenwood engineers on the NX5k line) that's official corporate policy specifically for the wideband version. He's in agreement that it doesn't make much sense but not much else I can do if I want to program my fancy new rig.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    Thanks for the warning. That’s pure BS and might be a breach of contract. Check your license. Or, somebody is handing out bad info.
    Unfortunately not false info. It is on the order form that the license is not reissuable due to crashes or hard drive failures or anything. I learned the same lesson, my hard drive crashed with a wide band D3N license for the NX3K radios and I tried everything to get it restored. I even worked for a Kenwood dealer at the time. The explanation was the licensing for wideband is hand coded in Japan on a custom basis, as such non replaceable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mss-dave For This Useful Post:

axel (Nov 03, 2018)

Thanks

Can you have both the commercial and amateur version installed on the same pc at the same time?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mss-dave View Post
    Unfortunately not false info. It is on the order form that the license is not reissuable due to crashes or hard drive failures or anything. I learned the same lesson, my hard drive crashed with a wide band D3N license for the NX3K radios and I tried everything to get it restored. I even worked for a Kenwood dealer at the time. The explanation was the licensing for wideband is hand coded in Japan on a custom basis, as such non replaceable.
    So what you’re saying is that wideband is activated on your specific computer by reading hard drive data and generating an encrypted key that is validated against that hard drive each time that the program is launched?

Thanks

Kenwood KWD-OFL-USB (USB key for offline activations) is also non-recoverable. But it can contain licenses for thousands and thousands $$$.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. Especially whose who also love PL-259 connectors.

Thanks

And this is one reason I won't waste my time with anything that needs KPG-D1N. Kenwood, you're following the leader of MSI with sales prevention. Ditch this garbage pail software. You bought Armada. Develop that platform to support NX series. It's EXCELLENT software. Superbly easy to use. KPG makes APX CPS look good. And you can (at least at present) install it on as many machines as you need to.
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MTS2000DES For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 10, 2018),bstafford (Nov 09, 2018),mss-dave (Nov 09, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    So what you’re saying is that wideband is activated on your specific computer by reading hard drive data and generating an encrypted key that is validated against that hard drive each time that the program is launched?
    Wish I could give you the exact sequence but I don't know it. The way I understand it to work is the purchased software key is auto generated, inserted into the kpt300 license manager on your computer, authenticated against the Kenwood server in Japan and attaches your machine ID to it. The way the wideband license was explain to me is the auto-generated software key is further hand modified in Japan then sent separately. They consider it custom software from that point and that's why they won't replace it or refund it or anything. It's that way on KPG D1N and D3N. You can move the license on and off the machine using the license manager but if the machine crashes with wideband license, it is all over. The regular license is recoverable if you have the machine ID and the original order with a software key attached.

It really is a stupid way to manage it I will agree with everybody on that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MTS2000DES View Post
    And this is one reason I won't waste my time with anything that needs KPG-D1N. Kenwood, you're following the leader of MSI with sales prevention. Ditch this garbage pail software. You bought Armada. Develop that platform to support NX series. It's EXCELLENT software. Superbly easy to use. KPG makes APX CPS look good. And you can (at least at present) install it on as many machines as you need to.
    You need to throw KPG D3N in there too for NX3K series. D1N had a steep learning curve. D3N is an abomination from the get go........

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mss-dave For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 10, 2018),MTS2000DES (Yesterday)

Thanks

Any time I hear someone complain about the APX suite I laugh and ask if they have ever used KPG D1N. It is horrible! I have began deactivating my software license when not using it to prevent losing it since reading this thread.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crazyboy For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 10, 2018),mss-dave (Nov 10, 2018)

Thanks

Kenwood really needs to go back to the drawing board, with their newer software. I run a tough book cf-31 with 16 gigs of ram, and KPG D1N still takes at a minimum of 15-20 minutes a radio just to clone. I will say with the last few upgrades it doesn’t seem to freeze as much when loading.

I will say before this thread I had never thought about deactivating the license to prevent it from becoming lost. It’s something I am going to start doing.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Motodan31 For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (Nov 10, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Motodan31 View Post
    Kenwood really needs to go back to the drawing board, with their newer software. I run a tough book cf-31 with 16 gigs of ram, and KPG D1N still takes at a minimum of 15-20 minutes a radio just to clone. I will say with the last few upgrades it doesn’t seem to freeze as much when loading.

I will say before this thread I had never thought about deactivating the license to prevent it from becoming lost. It’s something I am going to start doing.
    You're using serial cable. Switch to USB one and 500 chanells write will take less than a minute.
    Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. Especially whose who also love PL-259 connectors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MotFAN View Post
    You're using serial cable. Switch to USB one and 500 chanells write will take less than a minute.
    I a using a USB cable.

Thanks

I a using a USB cable.
    Genuine one with UART-USB mode switch?!?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MotFAN View Post
    Genuine one with UART-USB mode switch?!?
    Negative. I know I should be, but we have a bunch of aftermarket ones laying around for use with the TK7180's and TK8180's. We are in the process of upgrading to NX5700's and NX5800's.

Thanks

Negative. I know I should be, but we have a bunch of aftermarket ones laying around for use with the TK7180's and TK8180's. We are in the process of upgrading to NX5700's and NX5800's.
    It might be a reason why. Genuine cable supports relatively high speeds, up to a few Mbit/s. It allows me to write NX5700-5800 with 500-700 channels just for one minute. My PC is 5-6 years old.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

Motodan31 (Nov 11, 2018)