Thread: Icom Inc. Announces Partnership with Iridium Communications Inc. to Develop a New Push-To-Talk Radio Communication Solution o

Thanks

Default Icom Inc. Announces Partnership with Iridium Communications Inc. to Develop a New Push-To-Talk Radio Communication Solution o

If I recall correctly, airtime has never been cheap through a satellite.

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/news/181...lY7wWXl-P6hR4Q

Icom Inc. (Headquarters: Hirano, Osaka, Japan/President: Masataka Harima) has entered into a partnership with Iridium Communications Inc. (Headquarters: McLean, Virginia., USA/CEO: Matthew J. Desch) to develop and sell a new satellite Push-To-Talk (PTT) communications product for the Iridium® network. In a smart collaboration of both companies’ core competencies, Icom’s radio expertise and Iridium’s satellite expertise, the partnership will provide a professional radio communications solution which will enable users to communicate wherever they are on the earth.

The Satellite PTT radio is a professional radio communications system using the Iridium satellite communication network. This system enables real-time, one-to-many communication throughout the world with only a push of a PTT (transmit) button. In addition, Iridium’s unique interconnected satellite architecture ensures stable and reliable communication even if large-scale disasters occur on earth and terrestrial networks are compromised. Icom President Masataka Harima says, “Icom has been developing various wireless communications equipment for land use, marine use, and air band use. This Satellite PTT project will be a tough challenge, but the project will fill an important piece of our product lineups that cover all areas from the surface of the earth and even in to space. We continue to challenge ourselves.”

“The market has shown a clear demand for a PTT-only radio solution designed for the Iridium network,” said Mr. Joel Thompson, vice president, Global Product and Service Management, Iridium. “With Icom’s significant experience in the LMR sector, we believe they are the perfect partner to introduce what will be the world’s first truly-global PTT-only handheld.”

Shipment time and price of the product are still not fixed as of this announcement.

About Icom Inc.

Icom Incorporated is a wireless communications equipment manufacturing company located in Osaka, Japan. Since the Icom’s establishment in 1954, Icom have had a long record as a trusted manufacturer of land mobile radios, marine radios, navigation products, aviation radios, communications receivers, and amateur radios. Icom is recognized as a reliable two-way radio global brand name around the world with a reputation for rugged, high quality products. Icom radios are used by many professional organizations worldwide including military/police forces, local governments, utilities, transportation/airports, security firms, and many other users. Icom is taking this deep knowledge of radio technology and expanding to a new genre of professional radio in the satellite communication field. For more information about Icom and products, visit www.icom.co.jp/world.

About Iridium Communications Inc.

Iridium is the only mobile voice and data satellite communications network that spans the entire globe. Iridium enables connections between people, organizations and assets to and from anywhere, in real time. Together with its ecosystem of partner companies, Iridium delivers an innovative and rich portfolio of reliable solutions for markets that require truly global communications. The company has a major development program underway for its next-generation network — Iridium NEXT. Iridium Communications Inc. is headquartered in McLean, Va., U.S.A., and its common stock trades on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the ticker symbol IRDM. For more information about Iridium products, services and partner solutions, visit www.iridium.com.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jim1348 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Nov 11, 2018),com501 (Nov 09, 2018),Gtaman (Nov 09, 2018),Navy_BOFH (Nov 10, 2018),phonebuff (Nov 09, 2018),SwissMoto (Nov 12, 2018),Viper1-6 (Nov 09, 2018)

Thanks

Supposedly PTT service has been around since 2015 over the Iridium network using a special version of Iridium Extreme handsets.

http://www.groundcontrol.com/Iridium...k.htm#PTTplans

If this website is accurate (mods feel free to delete if I shouldn't be posting this link), then PTT service is $67 a month which doesn't seem that bad compared to the cost for normal satellite phone or even text messaging services. Given, that's for a small to medium service area (up to 300,000 sq km). Likely, if you want to use something like this in a dispatch capacity over a large swath of Alaska (where this service would make the most sense) you're looking at $450 a month per headset. Yikes.

I'm curious to hear more about latency if someone wants to chime in. Given, placing a phone call takes a bit (at least the last few times I've used a satphone), do you still have a noticeable wait time every time you hit the PTT button?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nh7cy View Post
    I'm curious to hear more about latency if someone wants to chime in. Given, placing a phone call takes a bit (at least the last few times I've used a satphone), do you still have a noticeable wait time every time you hit the PTT button?
    Interested to hear the difference between a phone call vs PTT call.

My experience with Globalstar phones is that once registered on the network, call set up is similar to terrestrial cellular, propagation delay is negligible, A->D->D->A delay is also similar to cellular and audio quality is on par, or even a bit better than cellular using a GSP-1600 handset with out a car kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

There's a cool gadget made by a third party to interconnect the Iridium 9575 PTT with a standard HT. From what I understand it's just a clever reuse of the good old 2400-ish baud voice codec with altered software on the satellites and headsets to get many to many. You have to reboot the 9575 in a dedicated PTT mode with the current firmware. According to the videos on YouTube there can be a delay on key-up, at least on the first PTT in a session, of up to 5 seconds. It would work better with a more intelligent integration with HTs but it seems like a pretty ideal solution to bridge LMR and satellite for remote (e.g. fire or other disaster) comms.

Thanks

Sorry wrong video and now it won't let me edit:

This is the third party Iridium 9575 PTT to HT interconnect

The video in the last post is a demonstration delay on key-up, at least on the first PTT in a session, of up to 5 seconds.

Presumably one key issue the signaling at least to the HT is VOX so there's no feedback out to the HT end if the Iridium link failed to activate during a particular transmission.

Thanks

Interesting to see how/why this comes to market. Iridium already had a phone with PTT - I guess now they want "just PTT".

Iridium pricing isn't bad for regular use... makes me wonder why we are using MSAT here. MSAT charges a monthly fee and then for every tenth of a minute you use.