Thread: XTS2500 Astro call "No Acknowledge"

jaaredmond No Longer Registered

Default XTS2500 Astro call "No Acknowledge"

I have 2 xts2500s set up in Astro mode. When I try paging the receiving radio, it beeps and displays "page received". However the radio sending the page will display "no acknowledge".

Am I missing a setting somewhere to notify the sending radio that the page was received? I'm using a model 1.5, and model 2 BN series.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

The only similar situation I have seen to this is if the receiving radio has transmit inhibit enabled from the menu locally.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 664 Posts

First, are you doing this through a repeater or direct on simplex? Keep in mind the radio receiving the page has to turn around and transmit. If you are going through a P25 repeater you may need to increase the preamble from 80 to 120 or so. If you are going simplex then it should work as-is. Otherwise I think you'll need to increase the retry/timeout counter. I don't remember exactly where those are but I do seem to recall there was a time value related to how often the page was re-attempted which also related to how long it would wait for ack's. The CPS help may be useful here - search it for info about some of the timing/retry values...

The other reason I ask is selective calls, pages and status/messages all get ACK'ed by the console or the other radio out there, and if you're talkaround on a channel that is normally a repeat channel, the signalling will go REPEAT NOT DIRECT even if talkaround mode is selected. This has annoyed me greatly - back in the Systems Saber days, if you were in talkaround then the pages, etc. would go direct. Now, everything but basic voice goes repeat no matter how the talkaround status is set.

jaaredmond No Longer Registered

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I was able to figure it out. I first changed the preamble to 160 with no avail. I even progammed the channel for simplex to see if that was it. I forgot that I have the DVRS enabled so I could get the TPT. I disabled the DVRS and it works like a charm, simplex and repeated. It kinda stinks though, I wish I could still have to TPT on there. I wonder if there is a preamble the right amount of time to work with the DVRS enabled?

Thanks again!

Thanks

The radio gets very stupid in DVRS mode, I remember a few other things also did not work correctly when in DVRS mode, like SCAN f'rinstance. Other than getting the "chirp" on PTT and auto-talkaround mode there are many drawbacks to using it. I did not know PAGE and CALL also did not work properly. Thanks for sharing your results with the group!

P.S. I have found that increasing the preamble to 120 solves all the repeater timeout issues with PAGE, CALL, and ACK's. The default value of 80 works great for simplex, but 120 works better for repeaters, I would assume the DVRS would want 120 or possibly more. Keep in mind that is for a single site repeater system - if it's a multi-site voting system, then more than 120 might be desirable.

Thanks

I don't know if there's such a setting for P25, but when I had some radios set up to do Call Alert using MDC, the reply time on the receiving radio was too fast - there was zero delay for an acknowledgement which meant the transmitting radio didn't hear it. Adjusting that timer fixed the problem.

Thanks

Durchschmitt - yes, that's the one I was referring to. The ASTRO25 line has that default value set to about 1/2 to 1/4 the time an older ASTRO takes, so for some legacy applications (esp. multi-site voting systems) it requires a bit longer delay due to infrastructure settling times, multiple PL detect times, etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,329 Times in 1,807 Posts

Sort of related, and I'm throwing this comment in for future searching purposes:

Another cause for this issue is ALIGNMENT. If the paged radio has screwed-up deviation/balance compensation settings, it will not transmit a legible ACK back to the other radio, which causes the same issue.