Thread: Bridging other networks to P25 and P25 Network Usage

Thanks

Default Bridging other networks to P25 and P25 Network Usage

As of late, I am hearing a number of stations on the P25 reflectors that are bridging networks like Allstar or DMR to the P25 reflectors.

Early Sunday morning 6AM Central time, there were two stations that were bridging Allstar to P25 with the result being horrible audio. I have also heard DMR to P25 bridging with audio worse than that from the Allstar bridge to P25 bridge.

That said, I am sure that there are some users who manage to get the audio set properly but most of the folks have no clue.

When there is activity on the P25NX network the audio is excellent...no hot spots or bridging allowed.

Next question...I know there has to be P25 activity in the US but it seems to be localized to state wide or area wide networks. I do miss P25NX ver 1 since there seemed to be a lot more activity on it and that activity slowly disappeared on V2.

Right now most activity on the P25 reflectors (MMDVM) seems to be on the Pacific talkgroup.

I am trying to encourage certain hams in my area to try P25 (I provide the radio to selected hams) but it would help to hear more activity than what we have now as a starting point.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FMTRU140D For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Nov 19, 2018)

Thanks

I can appreciate the issue on both sides. Horrible-sounding bridged audio is, well, horrible to listen to, but the walled garden nature (and resulting lack of use) of P25NX drives a lot of people off. I had a choice and I went with MMDVM because that's where the users are.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FMTRU140D View Post
    (I provide the radio to selected hams)
    Well damn that would have saved me...... More than I'd care to admit. How do you get selected?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    I can appreciate the issue on both sides. Horrible-sounding bridged audio is, well, horrible to listen to, but the walled garden nature (and resulting lack of use) of P25NX drives a lot of people off. I had a choice and I went with MMDVM because that's where the users are.
    That was what my thread some months ago was specifically about. P25NX is a walled garden. MMDVM is booming but the hotspots are bringing some really low intelligence users with it... specifically the XYZ-to-P25 bridges.

I would like to see the network where all P25 repeaters or MMDVM P25 repeaters can be linked together. I have one Quantar which is going on a commercial frequency - but can find TONS of Tait, Harris, EFJ, Kenwood, etc repeaters available for cheap. There should be work to get those linked in as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Nov 21, 2018)

Thanks

I finally get a chance to answer after a day of MCC7500 Consoles.

I am fortunate enough to be able to have equipment on both P25NX and Quantar Bridge. And yes, I was referring to the low intelligence users.

As for selected users, I am referring to area hams that are above the Baoturd mentality. For those 5 or 6 people, I have some Astro Spectra's that I will let them use.

I too would like to see a network where all P25 repeaters can be linked together not just the Quantars but no hotspots bridging from other modes.

More later when I wake up, it was a long day yesterday.

Thanks

I can't speak for the Hotspots on the MMDVM network, but I will tell you that I do not allow any bridging in North America (10200) and North America TAC1 (10201) If you hear any bridges on either reflector, please let me know.

Steve N4IRS

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

I have a test Quantar connected to the P25 XLX reflectors via the DVSwitch project Quantar_Bridge software on a Raspberry Pi instance.

A big thank you to G4KLX, N4IRR, and N4IRS for a very versatile collection of components.

The impressive feature is the standardization of a vendor indepednent means of transporting IMBE and AMBE based voice protocols. I'm not so interested in interoperation between dissimilar systems but I love the idea of interworking P25 base station products.

With this I think I have now tested every Quantar linking option starting from AstroTAC, Obitalk, direct Cisco, QSC, MQB, P25NX, and now XLX.
    Last edited by Astro Spectra; Nov 27, 2018 at 09:56 PM. Reason: callsign typo
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Astro Spectra For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Nov 26, 2018)

Thanks

I'll be planning on getting our Quantar and Astrotac up on the reflector network using the bridge application real soon. Need to sit down, read about it, and actually find some free time to get it up and running.