Thread: Cannot program Spectra after changing VOCON

Thanks

Default Cannot program Spectra after changing VOCON

Got my hands on an Astro Spectra VHF that was in pretty much immaculate shape... except it was an analog-only flashed radio and the firmware was back at Host R09.

So I did what any bored tinkerer would do. Go to my pile of decommissioned 800 models, grab one with a P25 flashcode and Host 11/DSP 7, and do the typical S-Record push with my trusty DOS laptop. Used an S-Rec from another site that was P25 Conventional Only.

Plug radio and RIB into my Windows 10 32-bit laptop with FTDI serial adapter (which I have used countless times successfully) - and I get about a 50% success rate reading the radio. Change the 9V battery and still a flip-flop trying to read the radio. Even worse - cannot write it back. Radio looks like it is writing, reboots... same as it was before.

So my question is should I look for another S-Rec to push into the radio, or just grab my slowpoke XP laptop with a real serial port... or both?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,632 Times in 820 Posts

Both, one at a time, staring with the laptop.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jun 03, 2019)

Thanks

Iíd try XP. I havenít messed with Astroís on my Win 10 machine just because itís a 64 bit base so I havenít actually gotten into the nitty gritty of the OS. I do know some stuff that used to run on my 64 bit Win 7 machine wonít even install on my 64 bit 10 machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zap For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jun 03, 2019)

Thanks

navy; astro software runs best in win 7 and lower. I prefer XP for the astro/astro25 radios. Also a real serial port. I think your issue is software based and not a radio hardware one.

Thanks

Get a Panasonic CF-29. They are dirt cheap.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

Thanks

I was assuming the laptop as well but needed a good sanity check after running ragged with work-related projects. I have a CF-29 running Windows 7, and a Dell running XP sitting at the office I will have to bring one home to try again.

Thanks

Did you try it with the original VOCON? if you can read it the problem is most likely not the PC, if you had the capability of read/write the srec why did you not just copy your original VOCON and just change the flash code.
    BTW I started having read write issues this weekend and traced it to my factory RIB, they are getting old enough to start having electrolytic cap issues, mine was obvious as one of them took a black crap on the circuit board.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mogman For This Useful Post:

jjbond (Jun 03, 2019)

Thanks

I would suggest using your 32 bit XP machine and if the problem persists try one of your 800 Mhz radios to see if that works.
    If it does there may be a command board fault on your VHF radio so swap out one from your 800 sets.