Thread: Cannot program Spectra after changing VOCON

Thanks

Default Cannot program Spectra after changing VOCON

Got my hands on an Astro Spectra VHF that was in pretty much immaculate shape... except it was an analog-only flashed radio and the firmware was back at Host R09.

So I did what any bored tinkerer would do. Go to my pile of decommissioned 800 models, grab one with a P25 flashcode and Host 11/DSP 7, and do the typical S-Record push with my trusty DOS laptop. Used an S-Rec from another site that was P25 Conventional Only.

Plug radio and RIB into my Windows 10 32-bit laptop with FTDI serial adapter (which I have used countless times successfully) - and I get about a 50% success rate reading the radio. Change the 9V battery and still a flip-flop trying to read the radio. Even worse - cannot write it back. Radio looks like it is writing, reboots... same as it was before.

So my question is should I look for another S-Rec to push into the radio, or just grab my slowpoke XP laptop with a real serial port... or both?

com501 is offline TĻ ∆S ō - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 706 Posts

Both, one at a time, staring with the laptop.
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

Thanks

Iíd try XP. I havenít messed with Astroís on my Win 10 machine just because itís a 64 bit base so I havenít actually gotten into the nitty gritty of the OS. I do know some stuff that used to run on my 64 bit Win 7 machine wonít even install on my 64 bit 10 machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

navy; astro software runs best in win 7 and lower. I prefer XP for the astro/astro25 radios. Also a real serial port. I think your issue is software based and not a radio hardware one.

Thanks

Get a Panasonic CF-29. They are dirt cheap.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

Thanks

I was assuming the laptop as well but needed a good sanity check after running ragged with work-related projects. I have a CF-29 running Windows 7, and a Dell running XP sitting at the office I will have to bring one home to try again.