Thread: The dreaded XTL5000 FL 01/90

Thanks

Default The dreaded XTL5000 FL 01/90

Well... I can finally raise my hand and say I finally experienced the issue myself. To make matters worse - it is a personal radio which means I am feeling especially defeated.
    XTL5000 VHF with remote O5 head, all good cabling, OEM USB GCAI programming cable. Radio was I believe Host/DSP 10 (haven't sat down to update it or use it much). Open saved codeplug, make some changes, write.... freeze and fail. Radio reboots into a FAIL 01/82. Radio reboots again, shows a FAIL 01/90, and then reboots into Local Device mode.

Brought the radio inside and put it on my bench power supply and a dashmount head configuration. No dice.

Now I am trying to dig up (or buy another) rear serial cable and give it one last push to resuscitate. Am I possibly able to bring this back to life, or is the Local Device part mean what I think... that the brick is dead to the world and I might as well take it out back and shoot it...

Thanks

Could be as simple as reseating connectors. Like old days.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Did that and checked everything short of pulling the lid off the top and rooting around. Since it was mid-write when it failed I think it was thanks to Motorola's lovely firmware writing for the XTL line.

I have a serial rear connector cable coming, and going to grab a W-series head to play that trick as well - but past that I'll throw it at the Depot for a flat rate repair while I still can.

com501 is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 706 Posts

XTL5000 at the depot is now about $1k due to lack of parts. Put the O5 TIB board back on and see if with the RADIO ONLY powered up you can get the USB to recognize the GCAI on the TIB. If no dice, use the SERIAL GCAI programming cable on the TIB GCAI connector and attempt a Read/Write with SW 15 or EARLIER. IF that fails, attempt a firmware refresh (with a refresh key) at 20.01.01sw and see if you canm step it up to something around 18.0. R17.01.01 was a very bad version, but sometime in the past before that the radios were very picky. Also try the USB rear cable (assuming you have a mid power and not a 110w) and try those things also. If you still have the original codeplug, try writing to the radio multiple times (like TWENTY TIMES) before you give up.

XTL will ALWAYS power up with the brick only, unless someone checked ignition required. In which case, the rear power/speaker will need to be installed (it should always have power to it anyway when arm wrestling these beasts).
    Retarded Mongoloid on PCP...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

axel (Nov 26, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    XTL5000 at the depot is now about $1k due to lack of parts. Put the O5 TIB board back on and see if with the RADIO ONLY powered up you can get the USB to recognize the GCAI on the TIB. If no dice, use the SERIAL GCAI programming cable on the TIB GCAI connector and attempt a Read/Write with SW 15 or EARLIER. IF that fails, attempt a firmware refresh (with a refresh key) at 20.01.01sw and see if you canm step it up to something around 18.0. R17.01.01 was a very bad version, but sometime in the past before that the radios were very picky. Also try the USB rear cable (assuming you have a mid power and not a 110w) and try those things also. If you still have the original codeplug, try writing to the radio multiple times (like TWENTY TIMES) before you give up.

XTL will ALWAYS power up with the brick only, unless someone checked ignition required. In which case, the rear power/speaker will need to be installed (it should always have power to it anyway when arm wrestling these beasts).
    I tried the headless trick with the brick GCAI before I fully pulled it out of the vehicle - no dice. It would show up on the computer but as a device that had no drivers available to install. It was pretty weird.

I don't have a serial GCAI cable (and didn't order one), but I ordered the rear serial connector. I also have the W-head serial cable and was thinking of sticking a W7 head on it and seeing what might happen.

Sad to hear the Depot rate is so bad - last price sheet I had for our state contract quoted it right at $240 which was more worthwhile if it was still at that price.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navy_BOFH View Post
    I tried the headless trick with the brick GCAI before I fully pulled it out of the vehicle - no dice. It would show up on the computer but as a device that had no drivers available to install. It was pretty weird.

I don't have a serial GCAI cable (and didn't order one), but I ordered the rear serial connector. I also have the W-head serial cable and was thinking of sticking a W7 head on it and seeing what might happen.

Sad to hear the Depot rate is so bad - last price sheet I had for our state contract quoted it right at $240 which was more worthwhile if it was still at that price.
    Depot will take them until the 28 of December. Then they are done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zap For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Nov 26, 2018)

Thanks

I am the proud owner of a 01/90 unit as well I have tried all the step you have with the same results. I hope you have better luck than I have. Ill be following the thread.

I have tried the serial rear cable with no luck.

Thanks

As of now I can say that using an MX head off an XTL1500 was a fruitless exercise - bricked the head trying to "recover" the radio as an XTL1500 - it loaded the entire firmware and then froze again. Head is totally braindead with the deck now. Tried running the radio again with the O5 and the rear accessory serial cable - no dice.

So as of now I am down to trying the W-head trick with the HKN6155 cable. If that doesn't work... to the trash it goes.

Thanks

I am keeping my 5000. maybe someday someone will trip over a method of a tool that will work on these units.