Thread: Unication discussion (split from APX thread)

Thanks

Default Unication discussion (split from APX thread)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    The second line of defense is to use a G5 instead. Seriously.
    I apologize ahead of time for going so far off topic, but that's where I'm at lately with my personal radios. With a G5 being less than half the cost of an APX and it being guaranteed to work correctly with no chances of making a mistake, its kind of a no-brainer at this point. Plus P25 and DMR in one package is icing on the cake.

I know i might be in the minority here on this site, but lately its just hard for me to find the time and motivation to go through all of effort when there is a much cheaper, simpler, and foolproof option out there. All I need to do now is find some new homes for some of my Rx only radios.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

Victor Xray (Nov 28, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bstafford View Post
    Plus P25 and DMR in one package is icing on the cake.
    DMR is for sure available now? As usual, I see the experts on radioreference have contradicting information on the topic.

I'm also curious to know if it can receive RAS enabled systems or if it behaves identical to a real radio?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

com501 (Nov 28, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    DMR is for sure available now?
    There have been screenshots and posts on RR that are clearly from Unication people, showing DMR.

However, all has gone quiet for a couple of months now. Unclear where things are wrt DMR at this point - I don't have a need for it so not following closely on that front but there are issues that need to be cleaned up overall, but no updates for a while now.

Still like/use my G5 every day, even with an odd internal VHF antenna...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    I'm also curious to know if it can receive RAS enabled systems or if it behaves identical to a real radio?
    RAS only screws up the CRC check. The actual data being sent can be decoded properly, which is why/how a scanner can receive a RAS transmission but a "real" radio can't. It'd be nice if the G5 was able to skip past this. Part of the problem is that they would then have to go beyond the DVSI design in order to know it has decoded correctly. The standard says to verify the CRC. If there's no CRC to check, you have to resort to other means like ensuring silence frames are actually silent, or that other known data is decoded properly. That's quite a bit of additional code to write, so I somehow doubt they'd do it. They don't in a scanner because who cares about error correction but in the G5 product I'd hope they would.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CQDX For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 28, 2018),triptolemus (Nov 28, 2018)

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,450 Times in 517 Posts

Moved from APX thread.

cyrus is offline Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by noaffiliatefan View Post
    There have been screenshots and posts on RR that are clearly from Unication people, showing DMR.
    The DMR enabled unit is being tested on a system near me. I've heard they've run into a few problems that they're working on.

Hopefully they'll release it soon.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.

Thanks

Yes sorry if I mislead anyone with that. I dont have any first hand info about dmr in the unication other than its "in the works." Off the record i know that there are some out in the wild as previously stated. I have not seen or used any of them.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 29, 2018)

Thanks

I can tell you as of the Beta Test fw its DMR type 2. Can not do RAS, privacy or trunking. Not saying that they arent working on those capabilities.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wildbillx For This Useful Post:

box (Nov 29, 2018),triptolemus (Nov 29, 2018)