Thread: Need ideas for 2018 Ford Explorer install

Thanks

Default Need ideas for 2018 Ford Explorer install

Picked up a new ride. 2018 Explorer XLT. With all the public service Explorers out there, I'm looking for ideas on installation of a mobile radio.

Needs:
    • VHF mid-power mobile
    • no roof holes
    • minimal presence inside vehicle front seat area (possibly looking to go the APX O3 head route)

Will more than likely go the route of an APX 4500 VHF (I'll post separately in the Wanted section)
    Need ideas on where best to install the speaker, O3 head mount, and remote mount brick.

For the antenna, I don't want to put anything on the roof. I'm leaning toward a hood lip mount which I can get to easily to quickly remove the antenna when going through a car wash, for example.

Thanks

So if this were my thread the title would be "Need funds for...."

Enjoy the new ride, but watch for exhaust fumes.

On my Chevy (much older) I took the AM/FM out of the fender and mounted my Antenna there.. Then did a glass tape for the AM/FM.

Thanks

The exhaust fumes issue was resolved in 2017.
    There is no fender antenna on these vehicles.

Thanks

Look into Proclip mounts and see if they have anything for the explorer to mount the head. They are no drill mounts that install betwren factory panels.

I have 2 of them in my sierra and am going to be getting a third. I just got the vehicle mount and not the device holders. I have a snowplow joystick on one, a w-3 head and kenwood mic on another and am getting a third to mount my feniex 4200 on. They aren't nesesarily the cheapest, but they are well built and look professional and it saves me from drilling my interior so they are worth it in my book.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bstafford For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Dec 06, 2018),phonebuff (Dec 04, 2018),sjxts3000 (Dec 03, 2018)