Thread: Has anyone gotten TMS to work through a repeated channel?

Thanks

Default Has anyone gotten TMS to work through a repeated channel?

My local club recently put up a mixed-mode Quantar to replace an aging analog-only repeater, and a few of us have been playing with TMS to try to get it to pass through the repeater but with no luck.

So far the nominal setup has been to configure the radios as outlined in the TMS doc on Akardam's site (http://www.akardam.net/moto/docs/xts5k_tms.php).

That document specifies setting ARS to "non-server", which makes sense since we don't have a registration server for this system. Fair enough. It also specifies setting the packet data mode to "direct", which I would assume needs to be changed to "repeated" for repeater operation. However, changing that setting to "repeated" for a given pair of radios with the repeater programmed in doesn't seem to work. A lot of other suspect settings in the data configuration area were fiddled with, but to no avail.

It's been a month or so since I last picked this up to troubleshoot, so my memory of things is a bit fuzzy, but I at least wanted to get a post up here to see if anyone else has successfully gotten TMS working through their repeater. We got direct working just fine, but repeated operation would be highly preferable.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,607 Times in 1,877 Posts

I could never get it working, either. Best to stick with cell phones for texting. Notice Motorola doesn't even advertise this failed flop of a feature.

Also, this feature may require new firmware (in your Quantar) to work properly, as it uses packet data. Things like PAGE (radio-to-radio) may also cause the repeater to reboot itself or simply not pass at all, if you do not have recent firmware.

And THANK YOU for taking the time to post your question in the proper sub-forum.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

Yes, I have successfully used it through a repeater. It's a Quantar, my preamble was increased to 120, and the Quantar must have RD-LAP turned ON so it can send/receive packet data. Seems to work really crappy because 1) timeouts seemed very short and 2) it ONLY TRIES ONCE. That's a major FAIL because it isn't ACK'ed or anything so it's highly unreliable, and that's being very kind.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes, I have successfully used it through a repeater. It's a Quantar, my preamble was increased to 120, and the Quantar must have RD-LAP turned ON so it can send/receive packet data. Seems to work really crappy because 1) timeouts seemed very short and 2) it ONLY TRIES ONCE. That's a major FAIL because it isn't ACK'ed or anything so it's highly unreliable, and that's being very kind.
    I wonder if the lack of ACK or retry is because certain assumptions were made about some sort of controller being present for any infrastructure-based data (sending subscriber hands off to repeater, controller manages it from there?). Still that's surprising, given that (IIRC) the direct mode *will* send an ACK when it receives a TMS message. Disappointing, but at least it's something. I wonder if there have been any silent improvements to the protocol on the APX platform?

Then again, this sounds like exactly what TRBO was designed for, so maybe I'm just swimming upstream here. Still holding out for that dual-band TRBO portable that will probably never exist...

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

I think it's because a real TMS system would have some infrastructure that would request a retry or something if it's a garbled transmission. Either that or the fact that there is no FNE setup on the channel makes it stupid. If I indicated I had a "Repeat" type FNE or some other setting that lets the radio know it has some back-end infrastructure to support the data attempts, maybe it would get more clever. But the simplex ONE TRY ONLY is a BIG FAIL, IMHO. Makes the feature completely worthless, at least for simplex or simple repeated use.

cyrus is online now Trailer Park Superintendent
    Thanks

I've gotten it to work both repeated and direct using ASTRO25 and APX gear.

That said, it's a huge PITA to setup and very, very, very unreliable.

Sometimes you have to log out and then log back into a radio before it's starts to recognize it's username.

M seems to have totally forgotten about TMS on the ASTRO25 series. They recently gave TRBO T9 text input which speeds up the entry of the message quite a bit.
    Cyrus

Bubbles: I'd like to see that Red Blue Green c***sucker put one of those together, duct-tapin' it.