Thread: 5100 VHF Partial Lockup on Transmit

Thanks

Default 5100 VHF Partial Lockup on Transmit

I have two 5100 VHF radios exhibiting the same issue. The radio partially locks up when transmitting on high power. I say partially because while the radio will become unresponsive, it will still power down normally using the power/volume knob, even displaying "Power Down".

Both radios work normally when transmitting on low power. I've taken both apart as recommended in another thread here and scraped the area where the RF shield meets the metal fingers on the logic board.

Radios are using Motorola red dot antennas. I do not have any OEM EFJ antennas available.

I presume that this is an RF problem. Where else should I be looking inside to shield? Any ideas?
    When in danger,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.

Thanks

Sounds to me like bad battery behavior, although that usually causes a reboot too. Does it actually transmit anything?

Thanks

Would you provide the model number? Just curious if they're version 1. I vaguely recall there was an RF issue with some of the first 5100's.

I've had really good luck with genuine Motorola antennas versus OEM on the 5100 series, so I don't think that's it.

Thanks

Transmit is fine, just has to be low power only.

The model number is 242-5117-660-GS2.

I imagine this may make a difference, these are the NSN (PRC-127) version of the 5100 series.
    When in danger,
    When in doubt,
    Run in circles,
    Scream and shout.