Thread: APX 6000 Trouble transmitting

Thanks

Default APX 6000 Trouble transmitting

I have an unmolested APX 6000 in VHF that has started having some problems. When I switch from trunking to conventional, the radio won't transmit. It does not make any noises. If I press and hold the PTT eventually it will transmit and then it's all fine until I switch back. This seems to have started ever trunking system was loaded in. I believe it's related to trunking but I can't confirm as it's intermittent.

I have R15.12.00 for the Host. I can upgrade it but I've heard sketchy reports of the latest upgrades causing issues.

Anyone else having this problem or heard of it?

Thanks.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

Thanks

Check your trunking settings the radio may be prioritized on them. Worst case remove the trunking from the codeplug and try nothing but conventional. Verify that it tx/rx properly with conventional channel changes. I would test with 140 mhz, 155 and 173 freq to eliminate any VCO issues.

If all is good add back in the trunking (new configuration) and see if the issue re occurs. That way you see what settings are set and avoid something you havent spotted in the trunking setup.

Thanks

Does this happen every time you switch? How long from the switch until it will transmit?

Depending on the time frame, could it be stuck trying to de-register from the system?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by box View Post
    Does this happen every time you switch? How long from the switch until it will transmit?

Depending on the time frame, could it be stuck trying to de-register from the system?
    thats along the lines I was thinking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 496 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerm View Post
    I have R15.12.00 for the Host. I can upgrade it but I've heard sketchy reports of the latest upgrades causing issues.
    16.23 and 18.21 are stable releases. 17 had some quirks related to battery type (FM versus UL) but that's all I can personally attest to.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

p47r4ck (Dec 22, 2018)

Thanks

It could be days after I switched to conventional from trunking. It looks like its deaffiliating when I switch zones. The codeplug looks like everything is set correctly.

I upgraded it to R18.21.00 today and worked the PTT switch a little bit on a tactical channel. It doesn't seem to be doing it anymore so I'm not sure what action I did fixed it but I'll keep watching it. If it does it again I'll try my bluetooth mic to transmit and to rule out the actual PTT switch.
    Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuckerm For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Dec 26, 2018),Notarola (Dec 22, 2018),p47r4ck (Dec 22, 2018)

Thanks

Had the same issue with an 8000. Same wired behavior. Sometimes it would not transmit any RF on any conventional channel, and fail to register on our trunked system. Happened on all bands. Swapped it out with a spare. One of our radio techs sent it to the depot under SFS. That was two months ago. Still waiting...
    Your streaming makes me AES-256. Keep it up and you'll soon have nothing to listen to.

Thanks

The next firmware release will address some Bluetooth microphone problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bk117 View Post
    The next firmware release will address some Bluetooth microphone problems.
    This is unrelated to the Bluetooth, this is with the actual PTT switch on the radio itself.

Thanks

Update: It's still doing it. It would not transmit using the PTT paddle. Turned on the Bluetooth Mic and it was transmitting fine while the PTT paddle was iffie. Guessing there is dust in there or the paddle is failing.

Thanks

If you suspect intermittent PTT....

Have your tried putting the radio in service mode?
    Pushing the 2 dimple side button 5 times after power up.
    Then hit the purple side button and go to CH Test, then hit the orange emergency button to enter into button test mode.

PTT 1/0 not pushed and 1/1 pushed
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks

How old is this APX 6000 ?

Thanks

tuckerm

Our Apx 6000's (2011 production year) started having TX issues on multiple units,20 months or so after going into service (still under warranty). This was an intermittent problem on multiple units, but a couple

units displayed the problem more consistently. With a lapel mic attached, I COULD NOT reproduce the problem on these 2 units, which told me it was hardware related. At big M's request we had to update firmware (no

change), check alignment (all units were in spec), code plug sent in for analysis (no problems found). Finally big M requested we send them the 2 units and they concluded it was a bad PTT flex assembly and ALL our units

would have to be sent in to be repaired under warranty. Big M did provide a few loaners to use, we had to send them in a handful at a time for repair until all were completed. The programming/reprogramming of the

loaners and gathering/dispersing of the units was a major pain, but had to be done. We had about 130 in total.

Below is big M's offical explanation of the problem.

Attachment 12474
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MADMAC For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Jan 31, 2019),box (Jan 31, 2019),com501 (Jan 31, 2019),motorola_otaku (Jan 31, 2019),p47r4ck (Feb 10, 2019),that guy (Feb 02, 2019),tuckerm (Feb 04, 2019)

Thanks

Great, that sounds like what my problem is. Doubtful its under warranty anymore. I did go into Service Mode and it did the same thing. Luckily I don't use it to transmit a lot.