Thread: Alignment of radio after firmware upgrade [split thread]

Thanks

Default Alignment of radio after firmware upgrade [split thread]

[Note by Mars: This thread split from original]

I see...
    But anyway I'm still scared to do the upgrade. I recall one of my XTS2500 went off-frequency after the upgrade from R08 to R15. It was a genuine IButton upgrate, btw

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 677 Posts

Eaton, that's extremely rare for the ASTRO25 line. They have a separate tuning partition in memory, so normally upgrading firmware or the codeplug doesn't require re-tuning like the older ASTRO line, which has the tuning in the same memory area as the codeplug. However, doing a "legit" upgrade also updates the tuning partition, so it's possible that some of the tuning values are being interpreted differently with the newer firmware, or perhaps the radio had an invalid or improper tuning partition to start with, and it has been corrected now.

Either way that's good information! If the upgrade says "Tuning Partition: Upgraded" afterwards it would be a GOOD idea to re-check the tuning of the radio before returning it to service.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,740 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eaton View Post
    I see...
    But anyway I'm still scared to do the upgrade. I recall one of my XTS2500 went off-frequency after the upgrade from R08 to R15. It was a genuine IButton upgrate, btw
    That's likely because you updated the tuning partition. Alignment is required. You shouldn't be scared to upgrade the firmware. The radios are impossible to kill. The only way to kill it would be to smash it into many pieces or send it to the Mexican Depot. You may not even get YOUR radio back.

Thanks

Will forcing back the old tuning config (read before the upgrade xxx.tun file) help me to restore RF performance after the upgrade?
    I don't have a service monitor yet, neither can I find a straight-handed technician to realign my radio up here...

Thanks

You can try that or just write all the tuning values down. I think you can save the file and actually print it too. Radios are supposed to be checked on a yearly basis for tuning. Chances are the one you experienced was due for an alignment anyway. When changes are made to the tuning partition through an upgrade my guess is tuning can be affected. We all wish we had the gear to tune out own stuff but that can be pricey.

Alpha is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,371 Times in 677 Posts

In theory the tuning values should NOT have changed. In fact that would be an excellent experiment - write down the current values you have now after the upgrade, then read the .TUN file and compare those values. If they are the same then my theory about them being interpreted differently is correct. If they are different, then either they were previously invalid or upgrading the tuning partition reverts to default values, perhaps. Either way, this is interesting.

Naturally, if they are the same, reverting to the old .TUN file would not be helpful, retuning from scratch should be done.

Neo No Longer Registered

Tuning values are stored on the RF board via a serial EEPROM (U907), not the vocon in the Astro 25 series. Same with APX's.

That's why you can replace a dead/bad/defective RF board with another from another working radio without having to retune it. So long as its the same band of course.

Astro25 radios have a tuning codeplug accessed via astro25 tuner. This is the reason we can save the tuning data to a .tun "codeplug" file.

In the Astro radios (Astro saber/XTS3000) radio, it's tuning data is contained within the radios codeplug space.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,740 Times in 1,930 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Tuning values are stored on the RF board via a serial EEPROM (U907), not the vocon in the Astro 25 series. Same with APX's.

That's why you can replace a dead/bad/defective RF board with another from another working radio without having to retune it. So long as its the same band of course.
    Not to argue, but I disagree. The RF board must be realigned if mated with a different vocon. The RF board is aligned against specific host/dsp firmware and control voltages/references from a specific vocon. If it's swapped, then it must be re-calibrated against the new sources.

Edit: The Basic Service Manuals states:

- Reference oscillator alignment is required after replacing (or servicing) the transceiver board. (page 58)

- Transmit Power alignment is required after replacing (or servicing) the transceiver board. (page 60)

- This alignment is required after replacing (or servicing) the VOCON board or the transceiver board. (page 61. Transmitter Deviation Balance Alignment)

- This alignment is required after replacing (or servicing) the VOCON board or the transceiver board. (page 63. Transmit Deviation Limit Alignment)

- Rx Front End Filter Alignment is required after replacing (or servicing) the transceiver board. (page 65)

Neo No Longer Registered

Per the Detailed Service manual.

"The serial, electrostatically erasable, programmable, read-only memory (EEPROM), U907 in VHF and 700-800MHz or U4 in UHF Range1, holds all of the transceiver tuning data. This allows transceivers (RF deck) to be tuned in the factory and installed in the field without retuning."

I know I've swapped a dead RF deck from a 5k with a working donor RF deck. The tuning values carried over from the working RF deck.

If you buy a brand new RF deck from Moto, it will need tuning. If the depot/plantation sends you a replacement RF deck, it comes pre tuned.

Thanks

ANY radio should be re-aligned or have the alignment/performance tested after a major componant replacement, its just good service practice>