Thread: XTS3000 Case swap possible

Thanks

Default XTS3000 Case swap possible

Hi everyone,

I've just got hold of an XTS3000 UHF model 2 BN radio with a smashed display and cracked case, I can't seem to get hold of replacement case in the UK or off the usual auction site.
    So, in order to get the radio working again, can anyone see any reason why I cannot replace the entire case front and flex with a model 1 front and flex and simply use the radio as a model 1 with the three position toggle switching three zones?

Unless anyone has a good display / case they are willing to part with, I'm thinking it may be easier and cheaper to buy a model 1 radio in a different band such as 800MHz which is not used in the UK, and just change case fronts.

I only need to have half a dozen channels programmed as it is for amateur radio use when testing MMDVM nodes in P25.
    Just wondering if there is anything on the display flex that the radio would complain about if it wasn't there, i.e i'd fitted the model 1 front and not changed the codeplug to reflect the different front.

Regards
    Tony

Thanks

Just make sure you get a BN version replacement as the AN versions have a different housing flex connector. The front housing controls (and flex) are the same for all models - the display and keypad are on different connectors to the front housing controls and are both mounted to the casting and not the front housing. You can put a Model 1 housing on a Model 2 or 3 but if you program anything for the display or keypad (call, page etc) then it won't work obviously. Hope this helps!

Thanks

Other option (my usual route) is to find a cheap 800MHz model or other "undesirable" model with a decent condition housing and gut it for the housing swap.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Navy_BOFH For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Jan 02, 2019),motorola_otaku (Dec 26, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Navy_BOFH View Post
    Other option (my usual route) is to find a cheap 800MHz model or other "undesirable" model with a decent condition housing and gut it for the housing swap.
    That’s how I saved a few MTS2000s and JT1000s.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtaman For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Jan 02, 2019)

Thanks

Navy's suggestion is what I was thinking, but I was just a bit worried in case the radio throws a wobbly when trying to talk to the display as it would not be fitted, or if there are any electronics on the model 2 front flex that isn't on the model 1 that could cause issues when I reprogram the radio as it will no longer have the keypad or display, but I will keep the model 2 codeplug and just use the three position toggle switch as zone 1 2 and 3.

All noted about the AN and BN connector differences, looks like an 800MHz XTS model 1 will be coming to the UK soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,271 Times in 567 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ffr58kk90 View Post
    ...looks like an 800MHz XTS model 1 will be coming to the UK soon!
    There is literally no reason for you to downgrade and lose the display and keypad. Do as others have suggested and find a donor 800 MHz Model II radio.

The AN/BN connector issue ONLY affects the top controls and speaker. If your donor radio is a mismatch you can harvest the top controls, speaker, and flex from your damaged housing, and use the display from the donor radio. I've personally done it dozens of times.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Navy_BOFH (Dec 27, 2018)

Thanks

Hi, that's what I have now done, I have an 800MHz model 3 on the way to the UK, so the new year project is to get the UHF radio recased and 'upgraded' to a model 3.
    Thanks you to everyone who kindly replied, hopefully it'll all go well when i get vthe donor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ffr58kk90 For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jan 03, 2019)

Thanks

Just a quick update, I have got the XTS3000 model 3 case, fitted it to the model 2 with a smashed case, and it all works perfectly.
    I guess now, it kind of makes sense to push in a model 3 codeplug to make use of the numeric keys for DTMF dialling.
    Can anyone help with such a codeplug at all? the radio current model number is H09RDF9PW7BN, and i'll require H09RDH9PW7BN I think.

Thanks to everyone who kindly gave me advice in getting this radio working so far.

Thanks

PM me your email address and Ill send you an s-record

14. The Following User Says Thank You to b16a2 For This Useful Post:

ffr58kk90 (Jan 11, 2019)

Thanks

Brilliant top man thank you, i'll PM you now.