Thread: IMPRES EOL Alert Trigger

Thanks

Default IMPRES EOL Alert Trigger

Hi All,

Does anyone happen to know which threshold(s) trigger an IMPRES charger to red/green flash the "approaching EOL" alert?

I have 2 HNN4001A IMPRES NiMH batteries showing 84% Rated Capacity (1517 mAh 8.4 Volts) accompanied by the red/green alternating flash. I have other batteries of the same model with lesser percentages of rated capacity that don't trigger the EOL alert. Therefore, I am led to believe that the threshold is not exclusively percentage of rated capacity remaining.

Confusingly, the Motorola white paper titled Intelligent Battery Management: The Motorola IMPRES Smart Energy System states that "IMPRES chargers contain an alternating red/green LED indicator warning users that batteries have fallen below a defined capacity threshold, typically 60% of rated capacity."

My thanks in advance if you can help me better understand the issue!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

You can try to find out by inserting battery in IPMRES Data Reader:

https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en...ml#tabresource
    [I][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=#696969]Everyone who loves RadioReference get into the hell. [U]Especially those[/U] who also love PL-259 connectors.[/COLOR][/FONT][/I]

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MotFAN For This Useful Post:

speedbird727 (Jan 04, 2019)

Thanks

We have had the same issue, we just ignore it for the most part.
    Radio Referenced...Those who think they know it all are very annoying to those of use who do.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 623 Posts

I seem to remember reading it was 70% of rated capacity a while back, but maybe they lowered it so people wouldn't be urged to replace marginal batteries quite so soon, perhaps? Your evidence to the contrary is the first I have heard or seen that contradicts that hard percentage figure. Maybe it takes inception date into account as well - as the battery gets older, the percentage drops, maybe? A dump of both batteries first charged dates as well as max capacities would be interesting to see if it correlates.

Thanks

I had a discussion with a district chief about this yesterday. I said 70% and he said he was told 60% by M