Thread: MTR2000 + ID-O-Matic IV

Thanks

Default MTR2000 + ID-O-Matic IV

Our community group likes a courtesy beep on the repeater. Our current radio, a Motorola GR1225, offers this. However, our new MTR2000 does not. For that reason we are looking at a low cost controller to provide that functionality. Preferably, we would still use the repeater controller in the MTR2000 and just use the ID-O-Matic as an "IDer" to provide the beep. Otherwise, we could use the ID-O-Matic as the controller.

Before I start down this path, does anyone have any thought, suggestions, experience, etc. with this combination of products.

Thanks

Thanks

I'd look into OpenRepeater on the raspberry pi. Coupled with a soundcard interface it's a cheap way to get a full-featured controller with voice announcements, echolink, and all the bells and whistles you could want.

It's a bit overkill for your application but something to look at.

Thanks

Thanks. I had seen ORP and was particularly impressed with the software. OTOH, given the extra work/cost required to do the sound interface, it looks like a bit of overkill for our needs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 560 Posts

Doing courtesy tones without a full interface is difficult... you can have COR drop trigger the beep after x number of milliseconds, but anyone who short-keys during the beep delay period will be cut off. I've never personally tried it, and I generally try to steer people away from it.

My suggestion would be to go with a commercial-grade controller and do a full interface (i.e let the controller run the repeater as designed.) My personal preference is for Zetron products.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Jan 14, 2019)

Thanks

The problem has been solved... I have convinced people the courtesy tone is just more noise :-). So, we are back to a pure MTR2000 with its own internal audio - works great.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to berkinet For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Jan 19, 2019),axel (Jan 16, 2019),box (Jan 16, 2019),bstafford (Jan 16, 2019),moetorola (Jun 12, 2019),motorola_otaku (Jan 15, 2019)

Thanks

Sounds like the better options. Ive never understood the vhf/UHF ham mindset of "CB Roger beeps are horrible but let's put a courtesy tone on our repeater!!"

Sent from my LGL163BL using Tapatalk

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Echo4Thirty For This Useful Post:

box (Jun 10, 2019),bstafford (Jun 09, 2019),Mars (Jun 09, 2019),TRENT310 (Jun 09, 2019),Viper1-6 (Jun 09, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,974 Times in 1,719 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Echo4Thirty View Post
    Sounds like the better options. Ive never understood the vhf/UHF ham mindset of "CB Roger beeps are horrible but let's put a courtesy tone on our repeater!!"

Or CAT talking voice controllers and/or CWID WITH PL. Makes my ears bleed. Thankfully real commercial repeaters can ID without PL.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

apx (Jun 09, 2019),box (Jun 10, 2019),TRENT310 (Jun 09, 2019)

Thanks

I forgot about the talking repeaters. Some around here used to have more voice traffic than the users.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Echo4Thirty For This Useful Post:

box (Jun 10, 2019),Mars (Jun 09, 2019),Viper1-6 (Jun 09, 2019)

Thanks

The voice ID on the primary/emergency traffic repeater for a marathon I help with is about twice as long as my typical transmission during the race. Plus it includes a nice annoying courtesy tone and kerchunk while transmitting the output tone.

On the plus side there is a co-located UHF hub repeater for linking to another of that club's repeaters. I really enjoyed using it since it had no hang time, no courtesy tone, only transmitted tone when receiving, and due to the mixing of audio I could talk over an open mic on VHF.

Sadly, it appears the PA has blown since the power output is almost nil. But, even though I can barely receive a transmission on my XTL5000 from 5 miles away while having clear line of sight and visually seeing the repeater antenna on the tower they have no intentions of fixing it because the cross-band VHF receive sites "work fine".

15. The Following User Says Thank You to box For This Useful Post:

Viper1-6 (Jun 10, 2019)