Thread: Glass Mount Garbage

Thanks

Default Glass Mount Garbage

The upfitters put one of these, on the driver's side windhield attached to a mid-power XTL2500 on VHF on one of unmarked Ford PI Utilitys . Needless to say it doesn't work too well. Has anyone see
    one of these? Is it even VHF?

IMAG0064_zpsjhqnacje.jpg

Thanks

They are not very efficient and getting a good swr match is a pain. There are better solutions for a low profile install

Thanks

That would be very unsafe having 25 watts in your face like that. Is it a LO Jack antenna?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 730 Posts

I wonder what it does to the dash electronics....
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

Thanks

Nope, convential VHF @ 50 watts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alf2109 View Post
    Nope, convential VHF @ 50 watts.
    Wow, that would be an excessive MPE situation.

I am surprised the dashboard works and the airbags don't fire.

Why in the world would they do this!

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Thanks

Never seen one like that who makes it?

Thanks

Don't know who makes it. The local MSS techs were here yesterday- they said it's a UHF antenna. Nice, connected to 50W VHF- as RFI-EMI-GUY said: surprised the dashboard still works and the airbags didn't fire

Thanks

You wouldn't be happy with the Sti-Co VHF solution for that vehicle either. It swaps out the OEM multiband rat-tail antenna on the rear roof deck adjacent to the lift gate with one that integrates a VHF antenna. It's about 80% performance according to users. It's hard to get a good disguise VHF antenna.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    You wouldn't be happy with the Sti-Co VHF solution for that vehicle either. It swaps out the OEM multiband rat-tail antenna on the rear roof deck adjacent to the lift gate with one that integrates a VHF antenna. It's about 80% performance according to users. It's hard to get a good disguise VHF antenna.
    The Ford Police Utility has not used that style since 15 its a shark fin as of late.

Thanks

You can create a very good functional VHF 1/4 antenna for most rear windows. Getting it tuned properly is a trial and error and no 2 are alike but it does work and works very well. I personally dont recommend high power like 50 watts and having that rf directly in the cab is not a great idea but signal measurements are in line for what you would see from a trunk mounted antenna on a regular sedan style vehicle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    The Ford Police Utility has not used that style since 15 its a shark fin as of late.
    You can usually swap out the shark fin for the rat tail and no one would notice -- especially if you paint it body color. We used a few of the Sti-Co with good results.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PossumCop For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jan 15, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PossumCop View Post
    You can usually swap out the shark fin for the rat tail and no one would notice -- especially if you paint it body color. We used a few of the Sti-Co with good results.
    the biggest gripe is that being an UC or admin vehicle is that they use the factory radio more than the two way and the crappy on glass kit sti-co includes to use in place of the factory sucks...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alf2109 View Post
    Has anyone seen one of these? Is it even VHF?

IMAG0064_zpsjhqnacje.jpg

It looks very like a Panorama Easyfit antenna. If it is is then as far as I'm aware they are UHF and above, not VHF, and 20W max input. They often get used in temporary TETRA installs by the blue light boys in this part of the World. Spec here http://www.panorama-antennas.com/sit...&description=1

Panorama are generally good quality antennas, pretty much industry standard in UK, I can't speak for the Easyfit ones though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to knickerlessparsons For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jan 15, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    the biggest gripe is that being an UC or admin vehicle is that they use the factory radio more than the two way and the crappy on glass kit sti-co includes to use in place of the factory sucks...
    Good point. You're really not missing much on commercial AM/FM radio these days though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by knickerlessparsons View Post
    It looks very like a Panorama Easyfit antenna. If it is is then as far as I'm aware they are UHF and above, not VHF, and 20W max input. They often get used in temporary TETRA installs by the blue light boys in this part of the World. Spec here http://www.panorama-antennas.com/sit...&description=1

Panorama are generally good quality antennas, pretty much industry standard in UK, I can't speak for the Easyfit ones though.
    Thanks for the link. That looks like it. May be able to get a better look when it's removed.

Thanks

I've fitted a few like when I worked in the local force communications section many years ago. All UHF though and we found they worked much better then the through glass capacitive mout crap.

Our VHF covert installs were much easier back then when most vehicles had a nice OEM telescopic whip on the front or rear wing.