Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Glass Mount Garbage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default Glass Mount Garbage

    The upfitters put one of these, on the driver's side windhield attached to a mid-power XTL2500 on VHF on one of unmarked Ford PI Utilitys . Needless to say it doesn't work too well. Has anyone see
    one of these? Is it even VHF?

    IMAG0064_zpsjhqnacje.jpg


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 04, 2012
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 601 Times in 276 Posts

    Default

    They are not very efficient and getting a good swr match is a pain. There are better solutions for a low profile install

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Notarola For This Useful Post:

    Mars (Apr 27, 2019)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 08, 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 438 Times in 247 Posts

    Default

    That would be very unsafe having 25 watts in your face like that. Is it a LO Jack antenna?

    Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 18, 2013
    Location
    In Your Network
    Posts
    2,516
    Thanks
    2,116
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 812 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    I wonder what it does to the dash electronics....
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Nope, convential VHF @ 50 watts.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 08, 2014
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    546
    Thanks
    281
    Thanked 438 Times in 247 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alf2109 View Post
    Nope, convential VHF @ 50 watts.
    Wow, that would be an excessive MPE situation.

    I am surprised the dashboard works and the airbags don't fire.

    Why in the world would they do this!

    Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 152 Times in 71 Posts

    Default

    Never seen one like that who makes it?

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Don't know who makes it. The local MSS techs were here yesterday- they said it's a UHF antenna. Nice, connected to 50W VHF- as RFI-EMI-GUY said: surprised the dashboard still works and the airbags didn't fire

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 31, 2015
    Location
    Portland OR
    Posts
    621
    Thanks
    849
    Thanked 820 Times in 404 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    You wouldn't be happy with the Sti-Co VHF solution for that vehicle either. It swaps out the OEM multiband rat-tail antenna on the rear roof deck adjacent to the lift gate with one that integrates a VHF antenna. It's about 80% performance according to users. It's hard to get a good disguise VHF antenna.
    Bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 152 Times in 71 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_G View Post
    You wouldn't be happy with the Sti-Co VHF solution for that vehicle either. It swaps out the OEM multiband rat-tail antenna on the rear roof deck adjacent to the lift gate with one that integrates a VHF antenna. It's about 80% performance according to users. It's hard to get a good disguise VHF antenna.
    The Ford Police Utility has not used that style since 15 its a shark fin as of late.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 04, 2012
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 601 Times in 276 Posts

    Default

    You can create a very good functional VHF 1/4 antenna for most rear windows. Getting it tuned properly is a trial and error and no 2 are alike but it does work and works very well. I personally dont recommend high power like 50 watts and having that rf directly in the cab is not a great idea but signal measurements are in line for what you would see from a trunk mounted antenna on a regular sedan style vehicle.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 20, 2013
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    The Ford Police Utility has not used that style since 15 its a shark fin as of late.
    You can usually swap out the shark fin for the rat tail and no one would notice -- especially if you paint it body color. We used a few of the Sti-Co with good results.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to PossumCop For This Useful Post:

    motorola_otaku (Jan 15, 2019)

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    230
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked 152 Times in 71 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PossumCop View Post
    You can usually swap out the shark fin for the rat tail and no one would notice -- especially if you paint it body color. We used a few of the Sti-Co with good results.
    the biggest gripe is that being an UC or admin vehicle is that they use the factory radio more than the two way and the crappy on glass kit sti-co includes to use in place of the factory sucks...

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 25, 2014
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    57
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 101 Times in 32 Posts
    Country: England

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alf2109 View Post
    Has anyone seen one of these? Is it even VHF?

    IMAG0064_zpsjhqnacje.jpg

    It looks very like a Panorama Easyfit antenna. If it is is then as far as I'm aware they are UHF and above, not VHF, and 20W max input. They often get used in temporary TETRA installs by the blue light boys in this part of the World. Spec here http://www.panorama-antennas.com/sit...&description=1

    Panorama are generally good quality antennas, pretty much industry standard in UK, I can't speak for the Easyfit ones though.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knickerlessparsons For This Useful Post:

    apx (Apr 28, 2019),motorola_otaku (Jan 15, 2019)

  18. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 20, 2013
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    34
    Thanked 68 Times in 41 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Firecpt809 View Post
    the biggest gripe is that being an UC or admin vehicle is that they use the factory radio more than the two way and the crappy on glass kit sti-co includes to use in place of the factory sucks...
    Good point. You're really not missing much on commercial AM/FM radio these days though.

  19. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 14, 2012
    Posts
    16
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knickerlessparsons View Post
    It looks very like a Panorama Easyfit antenna. If it is is then as far as I'm aware they are UHF and above, not VHF, and 20W max input. They often get used in temporary TETRA installs by the blue light boys in this part of the World. Spec here http://www.panorama-antennas.com/sit...&description=1

    Panorama are generally good quality antennas, pretty much industry standard in UK, I can't speak for the Easyfit ones though.
    Thanks for the link. That looks like it. May be able to get a better look when it's removed.

  20. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 02, 2019
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Country: UK

    Default

    I've fitted a few like when I worked in the local force communications section many years ago. All UHF though and we found they worked much better then the through glass capacitive mout crap.

    Our VHF covert installs were much easier back then when most vehicles had a nice OEM telescopic whip on the front or rear wing.

  21. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 22, 2014
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    I would think that the A pillar would send SWR into orbit. I'd be amused to see the radiation pattern: "Why can I only talk to guys over to my right?"

    Years back, I converted a rear-window defroster into a stealth VHF antenna. Mixed results, but nobody knew there was an antenna there.

  22. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 18, 2013
    Location
    In Your Network
    Posts
    2,516
    Thanks
    2,116
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 812 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    The covert license plate co-phased antennas work very well at UHF and above, at VHF they perform more like a beer can antenna, but three band completely stealth installs are great. The handle 100 watt APX8500s just fine. Plan on $500 for a kit.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

  23. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 18, 2012
    Location
    That's Correct.
    Posts
    225
    Thanks
    1,689
    Thanked 365 Times in 107 Posts

    Default

    Speaking of covert installations, I saw a Chevy Celebrity with an Antenex 1/4 wave UHF unity gain mounted on the rear parcel shelf in an undercover car. They'd placed one of those squareish Kleenex boxes over it.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Avery Johannssenn For This Useful Post:

    com501 (Apr 27, 2019)

  25. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 21, 2011
    Posts
    4,360
    Thanks
    3,486
    Thanked 6,022 Times in 1,733 Posts
    Country: Canada

    Default Glass Mount Garbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Avery Johannssenn View Post
    Speaking of covert installations, I saw a Chevy Celebrity with an Antenex 1/4 wave UHF unity gain mounted on the rear parcel shelf in an undercover car. They'd placed one of those squareish Kleenex boxes over it.
    I could never figure out why seniors always put boxes of Kleenex in the back window of the car. Stupidest place in the world for it. Canít reach it while driving. Obstructs vision when reversing. Same with all the other crap they put by the back window LOL. Iíve even seen bowling trophies and those senior-style caps (hats) back there.

    The world is starting to make a lot more sense to me now. All of these undercover senior surveillance operatives. Those trophies were disguise antennas!

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

    Avery Johannssenn (May 01, 2019)

  27. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 04, 2012
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 601 Times in 276 Posts

    Default

    I personally like the rotating multiband RF reflector hanging from the rear view mirror (CD). Its an extremely effective ECM device.

  28. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 18, 2013
    Location
    In Your Network
    Posts
    2,516
    Thanks
    2,116
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 812 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Notarola View Post
    I personally like the rotating multiband RF reflector hanging from the rear view mirror (CD). Its an extremely effective ECM device.
    You should see what those do to LIDAR!!
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

  29. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 04, 2012
    Posts
    1,841
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 601 Times in 276 Posts

    Default

    In reality not much. The LIDAR would have to be pointed right at it and the rate of change would have to be constant otherwise the LIDAR will ignore it. Its another internet rumor.

  30. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 18, 2013
    Location
    In Your Network
    Posts
    2,516
    Thanks
    2,116
    Thanked 1,609 Times in 812 Posts
    Country: United States

    Default

    You will still get a ticket either way, hanging anything off your mirror is a no-no.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...