Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Status of Saber Batteries...

Thanks

Default Status of Saber Batteries...

Looking to get a full-size Saber battery to supplement the two Cut-Rate Lithium-Ions that I have. I like the Cut-Rate batteries, but they rattle a bit and the rails aren't the strongest.

I assume OEM Saber batteries in any variety are unobtainium, so are there any recommendations for aftermarket ones that can be charged in an Impres rack charger? Right now I am leaning toward the Multiplier Ni-Mh.

Thanks

Multiplier ones are great. Not sure if they are making them still.
    RAS .......... Retard Avoidance System.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gtaman For This Useful Post:

NSPD (Jan 13, 2019)

Alpha is offline T¹ ÆS Ø - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,361 Times in 670 Posts

They used to make a Saber battery with IMPRES guts, but I always had problems with them. Plus, the Astro Saber/Saber can't display an IMPRES battery gague, so IMHO IMPRES Saber batteries were a waste of a 1.25 centabucks.

Finding a good fitting aftermarket one is tricky, W&W stands for Wiggly and Wobbly! I have had good luck with Honeywell batteries, but I don't know if they make the Saber ones anymore.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

NSPD (Jan 14, 2019),RFI-EMI-GUY (Jan 14, 2019)

Thanks

There is a seller from HK on eBay who sells a 5500 mAh lithium ion battery that charges using a provided wall wart. Price is about $50. I have a couple, they fit well and travelling with the small charger is convenient. They are the size of a NIMH 1800 mAh batter except 6 oz lighter.

No they wont work with IMPRES but in my opinion, there is really no value in IMPRES.

Buy several and keep the pipeline flowing,

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

KC9ADK (Mar 23, 2019),NSPD (Jan 14, 2019)

Thanks

Thanks guys.. I think I will try to track down a multiplier Ni-Mh.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NSPD View Post
    Thanks guys.. I think I will try to track down a multiplier Ni-Mh.
    Mulitplier has gone to S***, unfortunately. They were bought out by power products, and most of the line went to hell. Chinese plastic & cells.

I would get a honeywell/GTS. Seems as if all the OEM ones were finally deleted out of MOL I had hoped the IMPRES ones would have continued a bit longer.

Thanks

As a long time Luddite and having past feared of Lithium Ion instability, I have come to realize that NIMH and NICD batteries are crap and that whatever is left in the pipeline is scrappy old stuff.

Go with Lithium Ion, it is lighter, stores more energy and does not degrade or self discharge like those Nickel batteries.

Thanks

I too am looking for replacement Saber batteries. Any guidance on a good source for good quality Lithium Ion Saber batteries?

Thanks,

Jim Hall, KY1H

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KY1H View Post
    I too am looking for replacement Saber batteries. Any guidance on a good source for good quality Lithium Ion Saber batteries?

Thanks,

Jim Hall, KY1H
    I have several of the Cutratebatteries.com short lithium-ions that I have had for about 5 years and still going strong. I can't speak for their current customer service... I have a Ni-Mh Saber battery on order that has been on backorder for over a month...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NSPD For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Mar 23, 2019),Mars (Mar 22, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KY1H View Post

Thanks,

Jim Hall, KY1H
    There is a seller on e-bay that has 5500 mAh lithium Ion batteries with charger for about $55. I have two, the build quality is excellent, they are 6 oz lighter than your typical high capacity 1800 mAh NIMH.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    There is a seller on e-bay that has 5500 mAh lithium Ion batteries with charger for about $55. I have two, the build quality is excellent, they are 6 oz lighter than your typical high capacity 1800 mAh NIMH.
    Do these batteries have to be charged with the supplied “wall wart” charger, or can they be charged with a real Moto Impres, or Tri-chem fast Charger? GARY.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    Do these batteries have to be charged with the supplied “wall wart” charger, or can they be charged with a real Moto Impres, or Tri-chem fast Charger? GARY.
    They charge only with the supplied charger that plugs in at the side of the battery. It is a great charger and when you travel you don't need your clunky oversized, heavy, flaky, overpriced IMPRESS charger.

I noticed there is a battery for ICOM W32A and other ham radios as well.

Thanks

Has anyone tried the "Power Products" batteries sold by Wiscomm? I've been agonizing over getting new batteries for my two Sabers for a long time, now, but I use them so infrequently it's hard to justify. But if I was going to do it tomorrow, I'd probably buy those. Any time I need something Moto-related and don't want to play the "is it crap or not" game, I just order from them.

Thanks

Wiscomm non-OEM batteries have always been good for me and Craig the owner will stand behind his products he is also very hobby friendly

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Firecpt809 For This Useful Post:

sataraid1 (Mar 26, 2019)

Thanks

So has anyone tried the Ni-CD or Ni-Mh Saber batteries from imax_expert on Ebay? Wondering about their quality and if they will charge in an impres MUC.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,652 Times in 1,897 Posts

Default Status of Saber Batteries...

So has anyone tried the Ni-CD or Ni-Mh Saber batteries from imax_expert on Ebay? Wondering about their quality and if they will charge in an impres MUC.
    They last about a year, then stop taking charges. That guy is also a dickcombolock and doesn’t do combined shipping. I remember ordering three of the 2700mah Ni-MH saber batteries a few years ago, and he wanted to charge me about $50USD for slow ground shipping to Canada.

I love the ASTRO saber. I still have two. But I’m screwed when it comes to batteries. It doesn’t seem like there are any options left if one does not live in the US.

Make Saber batteries great again.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Apr 14, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Apr 12, 2019),NSPD (Apr 12, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    They last about a year, then stop taking charges. That guy is also a dickcombolock and doesn’t do combined shipping. I remember ordering three of the 2700mah Ni-MH saber batteries a few years ago, and he wanted to charge me about $50USD for slow ground shipping to Canada.

I love the ASTRO saber. I still have two. But I’m screwed when it comes to batteries. It doesn’t seem like there are any options left if one does not live in the US.

Make Saber batteries great again.
    5000 mAh, and 6 oz lighter than an 1800 mAh NICD :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Motorol...edirect=mobile

I have two of these, they are excellent. I wish they were short batteries, but they hold a great charge, a long time.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Apr 12, 2019),Mars (Apr 13, 2019)

Thanks

I've seen the ones that come with their own charger, but I want something I can charge in my Impres MUC.

Thanks

I've seen the ones that come with their own charger, but I want something I can charge in my Impres MUC.
    What beneficial features does IMPRES provide when used with ASTRO Saber?

Thanks

My last purchase was from this place, it seems to work OK
    http://store.batteriesamerica.com/hn...rolasaber.aspx

Make sabers great again!
    As I entered the motor control center, I smelled the BBQ and knew there was a problem.......

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 14, 2019)

Thanks

What beneficial features does IMPRES provide when used with ASTRO Saber?

None, I just dont want to have yet another charger to deal with. I have a Harris MUC and an XTS/APX/Saber MUC already so it's a matter of convenience. I ordered one of the Imax 2700Mah batteries, we'll see how it does.

Thanks

None, I just dont want to have yet another charger to deal with. I have a Harris MUC and an XTS/APX/Saber MUC already so it's a matter of convenience. I ordered one of the Imax 2700Mah batteries, we'll see how it does.
    Ok. Good to know there are NIMH batteries still to be had.

Personally, I travel a lot and the wall wart charger for these lithium ion batteries is pretty easy to pack vs the OEM chargers.

Thanks

I received both the IMAX battery and the Cutrate Saber batteries. Both are 3000Mah Ni-Mh and heavy.

The IMAX battery arrived out of the box with the bottom plate coming off which I will have to fix. Charges up in my Impres charger fine and has some wobble on both my Astro Saber and SSE.

The Cutrate battery has only the slightest wobble on my Astro Saber and is rock solid on the SSE. Zero wobble on the table either. Charged fine in my Impres charger.

It cost 3 times as much as the IMAX, but the Cutrate battery is the clear winner.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to NSPD For This Useful Post:

Mars (Apr 23, 2019)

Thanks

I received both the IMAX battery and the Cutrate Saber batteries. Both are 3000Mah Ni-Mh and heavy.

The IMAX battery arrived out of the box with the bottom plate coming off which I will have to fix. Charges up in my Impres charger fine and has some wobble on both my Astro Saber and SSE.

The Cutrate battery has only the slightest wobble on my Astro Saber and is rock solid on the SSE. Zero wobble on the table either. Charged fine in my Impres charger.

It cost 3 times as much as the IMAX, but the Cutrate battery is the clear winner.
    Can you weigh those on a postage scale? I am curious the weight of those vs the lithium ion.

Thanks

Can you weigh those on a postage scale? I am curious the weight of those vs the lithium ion.

I don't have a scale but I would say they are at least 3 times the weight of the Li-Ion.