Thread: MCC5500 Wireline

Thanks

Default MCC5500 Wireline

Looking at bringing a customer's R2.03.00 console up to current as they are migrating from VHF trunking to 7/800 MHz trunking and in order to support the APX based consolettes they either need to upgrade or replace the console. Currently, their console is located adjacent to dispatch has two APX consolettes interfaced via 2-wire, 5 XTL based Astro consolettes interfaced as control stations and three XTL2500's interfaced via a 380 ft 25 pair that was installed when their Centracom console was installed in 1991 (control stations were located at an onsite tower). The Astro consolettes all interface to a TX RX control station combiner with what I'm assuming is a 380 ft run of 1/2" Superflex to a Polyphaser in the equipment shelter where it then translates into 1/2 Heliax and makes the 120 ft run up the tower.

What I would like to do, is move all of the control stations to the climate controlled shelter, expand the control station combiner and add the triplexer to use a master VHF antenna and a 7/800 MHz antenna and eliminate the nearly 400 ft run of Superflex. However, ACIM is standard RS-232 and therefore limited to 50 ft without introducing packet loss. Should I just be looking at a tripod on the roof of the PD for the two control station antennas or should I look into extenders/media conversion?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 477 Posts

If they haven't committed to a MCC5500 yet, push them to go with a MCC7100/7500 with a conventional K core... that way you can locate the CCGW with the control stations and consolettes, and IP back to the dispatch site.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to motorola_otaku For This Useful Post:

crazyboy (Jan 28, 2019)

Thanks

Default MCC5500 Wireline

Quote Originally Posted by motorola_otaku View Post
    If they haven't committed to a MCC5500 yet, push them to go with a MCC7100/7500 with a conventional K core... that way you can locate the CCGW with the control stations and consolettes, and IP back to the dispatch site.
    The committed to the 5500 10 years ago and want to keep it running (but their current version wont support APX consolettes and is running Windows Vista).

7100 has been canceled for nearly a year now. You get the 7500e. Wed push a MIP over anything right now as we have a customer who was sold a 7100 prior to cancelation and installed after cancelation and has nothing but issues (these two customers are neighbors actually and use the same two systems).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 477 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zap View Post
    The committed to the 5500 10 years ago...
    In that case you're stuck tone-signalling the APX consolettes, or running coax. I didn't know about the distance limitation with ACIM, but from my experience running it through punch blocks and patch panels it's pretty robust.
    "The Girl Scouts found several hungry REACT members at the finish line..."

Thanks

After talking to Console Support about it, they recommended following RS-232 specifications (50 ft) as all ACIM consists of is V.24 signalling.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zap For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Jan 31, 2019)

Thanks

Any possibility of using a RS232 extender? I have seen many up to 1000ft and some up to 10-12k ft., but I have limited experience with the 5500 and none with the 7100/7500. FB

Thanks

We thought about it but I didn't like the cheesiness of some of the extenders I was able to locate. Looks like what I am going to end up doing is utilizing a VHF and 7/800 MHz control station antenna on the roof of the PD for trunked resources and the three existing conventional resources running out to the tower.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to zap For This Useful Post:

motorola_otaku (Feb 12, 2019)