Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad state of Hara

Thanks

Default Sad state of Hara

This is difficult to watch. Scrappers have destroyed it. Its unrecognizable.

https://youtu.be/wBPVB_xnJnU

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pezking For This Useful Post:

Alpha (Feb 05, 2019),MTS2000DES (Feb 08, 2019),NSPD (Feb 20, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,753 Times in 1,934 Posts

I actually think it looks better in that video than it did the last time I was there in 2016.

- No overflowed toilets observed;
    - Raw sewage wasn't flowing through the parking lot (aka the infamous **** volcano of 2011)
    - No federal agents preying on people;
    - Food appeared to be fresher in this video than what was served up during Hamvention;
    - Didn't see any CCRs anywhere;
    - You could probably escape the building faster in the abandoned state it's in now, than if you tried leaving during Hamvention;
    - I can still see hams going there THIS YEAR if it was announced Hamvention was being relocated back to Hara.

Hamvention is in itself, sad. I'd much rather spend time learning about modern communications technologies at something like IWCE or the APCO conference(s) held throughout the continent.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

AD0JA (Feb 04, 2019),Alpha (Feb 06, 2019),com501 (Feb 04, 2019),MTS2000DES (Feb 04, 2019),TAC-10 (Mar 12, 2019),techman (Feb 08, 2019),Viper1-6 (Feb 04, 2019)

Thanks

That arena has beyond out lived its stay.

Thanks

True. I cant believe all the **** they left behind (hoarded) though, now strewed everywhere. Missing ceiling tiles. I agree it was a ****-hole, but it wasnt in the state it is now.

Sad the Wamplers had to fight the way they did and allowed it to fall in such disrepair. With upkeep, it could have continued to be a relevant arena.

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I am also amazed at all this **** left behind in there. Looks like the place had never been modernized until it closed. Glad the hamfest has moved on to a new venue.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NSPD For This Useful Post:

Mars (Feb 20, 2019)

Thanks

Sad to see they let things get to this state. For all it's faults, at least it was big enough to host Hamvention. Xenia is a nice town, and I know the folks there are doing what they can to accommodate Hamvention, but the infrastructure just isn't there for an event of this size. I attended the first year they moved, but didn't go back last year, and probably won't again in the foreseeable future. The experience with the traffic and trying to go through the flea market was just too bad for me to want to go back. I'm surprised a town the size of Dayton doesn't have something else able to support an event of this size.

Regards,

Jim Hall, KY1H

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 882 Posts

Hamvention Vegas in 2020!!
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Astro Spectra (Mar 07, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,553 Times in 476 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    Best idea Ive heard all day!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

com501 (Mar 07, 2019)

Astro Spectra is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by com501 View Post
    In week following IWCE.
    It is a fine thing to be honest, but it is also very important to be right

Thanks

That would never happen to a hockey arena in Canada, it's our national game after all, ya **** lacrosse hockey is our game

Thanks

Default Sad state of Hara

Quote Originally Posted by SPECIAL_EYE View Post
    That would never happen to a hockey arena in Canada, it's our national game after all, ya **** lacrosse hockey is our game
    We need to make Canada great again. Trudeau has to go. I dont care who they replace him with. Just get him the hell out of Sussex Drive.

The next leader this country elects has to be able to make big boy decisions, and they also need to be aware the other half of the country is west of Ontario. That swishy bum thats in there now can go back to Quebec and hang out with Garys relatives. (Sorry Gary)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

apx (Mar 08, 2019),com501 (Mar 08, 2019),jry (Mar 08, 2019)

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,005 Times in 689 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mars View Post
    We need to make Canada great again.
    You need to be careful with those words. I hear the Orange Stupid is contagious.

19. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

com501 (Mar 08, 2019),Gtaman (Mar 12, 2019),Mars (Mar 18, 2019),motorola_otaku (Mar 08, 2019),RFI-EMI-GUY (Mar 11, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 18, 2019)

Thanks

I had talked with one of the Dayton officials about the new site and why it was switched ...his comments were that the Hara buildings had gotten so bad that they didn't feel that it was safe anymore. Most people only saw what was open during the Hamvention and not the structural issues behind the scenes.

I am surprised that they have not secured the site better because of the potential liability ...it sounds like they need some better security before someone gets hurt.

Thanks

I thought the guys in the video were the security guards, Randy and Rickey I think

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    I had talked with one of the Dayton officials about the new site and why it was switched ...his comments were that the Hara buildings had gotten so bad that they didn't feel that it was safe anymore. Most people only saw what was open during the Hamvention and not the structural issues behind the scenes.

I am surprised that they have not secured the site better because of the potential liability ...it sounds like they need some better security before someone gets hurt.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to SPECIAL_EYE For This Useful Post:

Mars (Mar 18, 2019)

Thanks

I can't believe I watched that whole video. If they weren't security, where was the security?

Thanks

That swishy bum that’s in there now can go back to Quebec and hang out with Gary’s relatives. (Sorry Gary)
    No problem. My parents spend half the year near me in Florida, & while they are in Montreal, they reside in the English part of town. And my brother lives near Algonquin Park in Ontario, which is absolutely gorgeous. I'd like to live there in the summer. GARY

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N4KVE For This Useful Post:

Mars (Mar 18, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 18, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KY1H View Post
    The experience with the traffic and trying to go through the flea market was just too bad for me to want to go back.
    This was all rectified this past year. The first year was a learning experience, & I'm glad to say they paid attention, & fixed it. They properly controlled the traffic,& it took only 5 minutes to go from the main road, to the parking lot. They also raised the path in the tailgate area so it wouldn't flood. GARY

Thanks

I guess I should check it out again. It sounds like they are still allowing parking on site? I thought I had read somewhere that everyone had to use a shuttle last year, but not sure I'm correct on that. When it was at HARA, the shuttles were often a free for all and overcrowded. The last few years I went, I shelled out the extra $20 or so to park across the street in the old car dealer's lot.

I will have to say getting through the buildings was a lot easier at the fairgrounds than at HARA. One of the worst things about HARA was the aisle way meetings. The aisles were narrow, and with people being totally oblivious to the fact they were blocking the path while they chatted in the middle of the aisle, it was torture getting around them. I recall thinking it was so much easier getting around the tables at the fairgrounds.

Thanks

I have only been to "Dayton" twice. The first was in the Mid 80's. A freind drove me out there. His big purchase was an UZI! Can you imagine? Anyway, the second time in the late 90's, there were these two youngish gals in short dresses darting from table to table, followed by some nerds. One of these gals lacked underwear. This is when I was told there were "hookers" at the Hamfest.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post:

Mars (Mar 11, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RFI-EMI-GUY View Post
    the second time in the late 90's, there were these two youngish gals in short dresses darting from table to table, followed by some nerds. One of these gals lacked underwear. This is when I was told there were "hookers" at the Hamfest.
    Nowadays, youd definitely want to do a double take if you saw something like that at hamvention...just to make sure its not packing a ground plane. Some people like to play Mr. Dressup.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 18, 2019)

Thanks

That was a crazy video, I can't believe all the stuff left inside...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KY1H View Post
    I guess I should check it out again. It sounds like they are still allowing parking on site? The aisles were narrow, and with people being totally oblivious to the fact they were blocking the path while they chatted in the middle of the aisle.
    It took less than 3 minutes to walk from my car to the main entrance gate. And they had dozens of stretch golf carts to drive people carrying their purchases to their car. As for the narrow aisles, it was amplified by the idiots carrying large backpacks. When they were standing back to back, it was impossible to pass between them. Pissed off quite a few trying to pass the gauntlet. Seems these backpack a$$holes never heard of deodorant. GARY.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to N4KVE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,748 Times in 882 Posts

I bet you can't open carry in that state either. An armed society is a polite society.
    Apparently NOT a radio professional.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

box (Mar 11, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by N4KVE View Post
    As for the narrow aisles, it was amplified by the idiots carrying large backpacks. When they were standing back to back, it was impossible to pass between them. Pissed off quite a few trying to pass the gauntlet. Seems these backpack a$$holes never heard of deodorant. GARY.
    I completely agree about the backpacks. I never understood why most of the ham radio operators I know personally are gererannly considerate of others, but at HARA it was like a different world. Those guys with the backpacks certainly tried my patience.

I’ve bought a lot of used Motorola at Hamvention in the past, and the timing might work out for some of my current projects. It’s encouraging to hear they learned and improved, so I’ll give it another try.

Regards,

Jim

Thanks

Nowadays, youd definitely want to do a double take if you saw something like that at hamvention...just to make sure its not packing a ground plane. Some people like to play Mr. Dressup.
    She and her freind were the real deal. But yeah, these days I am never quite sure and more than once the theme song from the "Crying Game" popped up in my head.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

39. The Following User Says Thank You to RFI-EMI-GUY For This Useful Post: