Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The work of Motorola? (akardam site discussion)

Thanks

We may never know the true motivations that led to the take-down notice. Anyway, corporations often "spin" their reasons for doing things, even when they release information.

The options provided by various flashcodes have been openly discussed for years in numerous places and there are also many fully or partially "enhanced" flashcodes in eBay listings. This is more than enough to inform anyone inclined to use depot to alter a radio. This is true for both currently supported radios (where there can be a loss of revenue to the company) as well as unsupported radios for which upgrades are no longer sold.

Since the most lucrative options are already out there, eBay sellers who alter flashcodes will not be impacted by the loss of the tools. Those who either want/need to know the specific options present in a radio or those who want/need to order an upgrade for a currently supported radio will.

If the plan is for the company to go to some type of server-based upgrade methodology, removal of the tools does not further this. Indeed, such a move would render harmless tools even more harmless, unless the goal is to limit information available to the customer. Without the tools, how is a customer to easily independently confirm that the flashcode they have purchased or want to order includes the features they need and only those features?

Again, speculation about the reasons the tools are gone is just that. Focusing on the effects of the loss of the tools may be more beneficial in changing the decision.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 746 Posts

Had to spend time on the phone with Motorola today verifying what flashcode options and what the final code needed was for an order, since the order needs to have the requested flashcode, and Moto DOES NOT make it easy nor do they have a tool for this. A five minute web lookup on a trusted site (akardam.net) would have been sufficient. Thanks, Moto.
    Killing Public Safety Streaming, One County at a Time...

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to com501 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Feb 22, 2019),boomboy64 (Feb 25, 2019),box (Feb 22, 2019),crazyboy (Feb 22, 2019),efjmototech (Feb 24, 2019),kondoros (Feb 23, 2019),LA_XTS (Feb 22, 2019),m0th (Feb 22, 2019),MADMAC (Feb 22, 2019),Mars (Feb 23, 2019),Mogman (Mar 16, 2019),motorola_otaku (Feb 24, 2019),MTS2000DES (Feb 22, 2019),Radioguy7268 (Feb 26, 2019),sjxts3000 (Feb 22, 2019),SwissMoto (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks

I'm with everyone else. I don't see how akardam did anything wrong. Shame on moto...

Thanks

Wish he would share his files and then just clone the site all over the net.

Thanks

If you take the tools away and then change how the flashcode is created in the next series of products then you effectively retake control of your products going forward. That's the logical reason to do this.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,526 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mshelby View Post
    Wish he would share his files and then just clone the site all over the net.
    Although hes done absolutely nothing wrong, perhaps in his mind and that of any potential solicitor he may have hired, wilfully copying and re-distributing those files could be seen as an act of furthering any potential damages, assuming Motorola legal has harassed him.

To be crystal clear, Peter has not done anything wrong either civilly or criminally. Its the criminal enterprise mob at Motorola who have unlimited money to intimidate people thats created the unnecessary drama.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mars For This Useful Post:

apx (Mar 07, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Mar 07, 2019),boomboy64 (Mar 07, 2019),com501 (Mar 07, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 07, 2019),Viper1-6 (Mar 07, 2019)

Thanks

The tool was only a flashcode lookup tool if I am not mistaken. How does this protect them in upcoming products if the tool is for current products, can you clarify?

Quote Originally Posted by AMBE+2 View Post
    If you take the tools away and then change how the flashcode is created in the next series of products then you effectively retake control of your products going forward. That's the logical reason to do this.

triptolemus is offline T S - Moderator
    CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,742 Times in 593 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AMBE+2 View Post
    Disagree.

If you change how the flash code is created then you... rewrite the goddamn firmware. They have (for now) handled the problem with APX by (finally) locking down Depot and modifying the firmware to brick when hit with older versions of Depot. There is no doubt that these controls would be in place in similar future product lines (if any). The flashcode decoder/encoder is harmless in this regard.

If you're talking about discontinued product lines and using Depot, the encoder/decoder, and whatever else? That ship sailed a decade ago. The information is out there, and short of re-releasing CPS and releasing firmware updates to combat the problem similar to what was done with APX, there is no fixing it by taking down a decoder. Full stop.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to triptolemus For This Useful Post:

apx (Mar 08, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Mar 08, 2019),Mogman (Mar 16, 2019),MTS2000DES (Mar 11, 2019),Number 6 (Mar 08, 2019),SPECIAL_EYE (Mar 08, 2019),SwissMoto (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    Disagree.

If you change how the flash code is created then you... rewrite the goddamn firmware. They have (for now) handled the problem with APX by (finally) locking down Depot and modifying the firmware to brick when hit with older versions of Depot. There is no doubt that these controls would be in place in similar future product lines (if any). The flashcode decoder/encoder is harmless in this regard.

If you're talking about discontinued product lines and using Depot, the encoder/decoder, and whatever else? That ship sailed a decade ago. The information is out there, and short of re-releasing CPS and releasing firmware updates to combat the problem similar to what was done with APX, there is no fixing it by taking down a decoder. Full stop.
    I don't believe this is it, if I am understanding you correctly. I don't think they really care about depot as much as it would appear. How are long time Ebay sellers like gallad2000 (selling Q52 FPP radios, shucks I wonder what the FCC would say about this) and snarlingrabiddog (who frickin literally says THE EXTERNAL TAGS DO NOT MATCH DUE TO THE PROFESSIONAL UPGRADE in caps, bold, italics and underlined) still selling their hacked wares after all these years by the dozens (and their radios end up in the hands of public safety!)? These are people openly advertising their services and Motorola appears to literally not be able to give 2 shits less.

There is definitely more to the story here and it ain't depot IMO

13. The Following User Says Thank You to escomm For This Useful Post:

Mars (Mar 11, 2019)

Thanks

Sorry to come late to the table but Mars, you're a legend in the moto world. But you need to remember... they have F***** up their mobile phone line (you don't hear about motorola releasing a phone like samsung or apple) so it was only a matter of time before they did the same to mototrbo and p25.

Unfortunately for motorola they can't get rid of p25 as where I live (Down under), volunteer firefighters just got given scanners (ubcd436pt's) at an exceptionally low price from uniden to still be able to listen to the network. Why is this relevant. well if motorola go 5g then volunteer organisations wont be able to monitor the channels so really motorola is shooting themselves.

Now. if motorola really wanted to make money (and i mean serious money out of us HAM guys and gals), they would have an option for non affiliate mode that can be added to the flash (paid update) and make it safer for us people to use their radios as scanners and other things, and would also better protect their "secure" system keys.

I use an apx7000 because I still find the bcdx36's to be ****... plain and simple.

The biggest problem with Motorola is the fact they live in their own little bubble and don't want to accept other peoples suggestions, idea's or input.

They are exactly like people at my work, give them an idea, if they like it they will claim it as their own, if they don't then you're the one thats an idiot. As always... end users are just stupid and don't know anything. someone with 30 years experience doesn't know anything compared to someone who has a 2 week degree in how to press a button

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbui0309 For This Useful Post:

apx (Mar 13, 2019),Avery Johannssenn (Apr 10, 2019),Mars (Mar 13, 2019),SwissMoto (Mar 14, 2019)

Thanks

To quote the 3 Stooges. The law firm of Dewey,Screwem and Howe.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbui0309 View Post
    Unfortunately for motorola they can't get rid of p25 as where I live (Down under), volunteer firefighters just got given scanners (ubcd436pt's) at an exceptionally low price from uniden to still be able to listen to the network. Why is this relevant. well if motorola go 5g then volunteer organisations wont be able to monitor the channels so really motorola is shooting themselves.
    Here were I am (two states north) Ambo and fire are dropping motorola radios in the bin and using tait - primary reason they are light, sound better and ergonicly balanced. As one office said some time ago, carry an apx is like carrying a house brick and about as useful in the heat of battle.

Now. if motorola really wanted to make money (and i mean serious money out of us HAM guys and gals), they would have an option for non affiliate mode that can be added to the flash (paid update) and make it safer for us people to use their radios as scanners and other things, and would also better protect their "secure" system keys.
    Motorola has no interest in a small group... to little profit for having to do some work.

Motorola Solutions purchases companys for paitents or for a quick fix to a problem - latest purchase avcom, odds are there is a big tender they were about to loose so they purchase the company to stop it. if memory serves me correctly this is why motorola purchased vertex yasue.
    What will happen to avcom - they will be a 'company of motorola' and milked of key assets/paitents and funds, rnd will dry up and inoveration will stop, this will also cause the key staff to move on aiding in brian drain. The upside to this is maybe motorola own crapy consoles may be killed off and merged with a avcom solution.
    I do not believe in political correctness BS leftest tripe
    Suck it up, HTFU and make the place great again! Work never killed anyone who did it safely

18. The Following User Says Thank You to techman For This Useful Post:

Mars (Mar 13, 2019)

Thanks

Any updates on this from Peter? I have heard now from several Motorola sources that the issue was with 2 items on the site, those two items were asked to be taken down and nothing else. I also hear a similar flashcode tool is being developed by MSI but I suspect it won't do anything with legacy products, and probably not as intuitive as the Akardam one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kb0uxv View Post
    Any updates on this from Peter? I have heard now from several Motorola sources that the issue was with 2 items on the site, those two items were asked to be taken down and nothing else. I also hear a similar flashcode tool is being developed by MSI but I suspect it won't do anything with legacy products, and probably not as intuitive as the Akardam one.
    No news from Peter.

Our new tool (available only to CSF Supporters) works just as well. The development team here did an amazing job.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Avery Johannssenn (Mar 29, 2019),Fatboy (Apr 11, 2019),Gtaman (Mar 28, 2019),kb0uxv (Mar 31, 2019),Mars (Mar 27, 2019),sidthekid (Mar 28, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kb0uxv View Post
    The UCL builder to make contacts in APX was a huge asset that is now gone too with no alternative that I am aware of.
    Anybody found an alternative for this? I could sure use it...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    No news from Peter.

Our new tool (available only to CSF Supporters) works just as well. The development team here did an amazing job.
    How do we become a CSF Supporter?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    No news from Peter.

How does one support CSF for access to the new tool?

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptMotor View Post
    How does one support CSF for access to the new tool?
    Quote Originally Posted by lasertheintubator View Post
    How do we become a CSF Supporter?
    https://communications.support/misc.php?do=donate

Thanks

Hi....

I went to that link and it was a page on emojis.

Perhaps I missed something, but I saw no method to support the site and great work here.

Perhaps the link has changed.

Thanks

120comm, I recently heard from another manager that the current APX CPS now allows CSV imports of aliases exported directly out of PM. I have not tried it yet but if true it makes for easy work, at least for those with a trunked system and PM privileges. For folks without that/ spreadsheets or conventional systems the data could be pasted into the PM export template and possibly imported successfully into CPS.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kb0uxv For This Useful Post:

120Comm (Mar 31, 2019),CommMgr (Apr 02, 2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cptMotor View Post
    Hi....

I went to that link and it was a page on emojis.

Perhaps I missed something, but I saw no method to support the site and great work here.

Perhaps the link has changed.
    Link works for me. You can also click the little green donate button in the bar near the top of the page.

CS Forums $upporter
    Thanks

You must be LOGGED IN to the site for the donate link to function properly -- or show up at all in the case of the green Donate link.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triptolemus View Post
    You must be LOGGED IN to the site for the donate link to function properly -- or show up at all in the case of the green Donate link.
    If you don't see the green "donate" button then either you are not logged in or you have changed your page style from the default of vB Blue to something else.

Also, if you are not yet a "regular" member (e.g., you are a "moderated new member") then you will not be able to make a donation and be upgraded to supporter status.

Additionally, if you have had a punitive measure taken against you (e.g., you are suspended, your download rights have been revoked, etc.) then you are not able to make a donation and be upgraded until that penalty has been removed.

Also, I've seen about 6 donations that never went through via PayPal so please double-check your PayPal accounts.

Many thanks to everyone who has donated!

Thanks

Any chance of finding out where this software is located on the site. (Yes I know google is my friend but searched the forums and well aware i've most likely missed something)

Thanks

Any chance of finding out where this software is located on the site. (Yes I know google is my friend but searched the forums and well aware i've most likely missed something)
    Its located in the Supporters section of the site.