Thread: Quantar Manuals

Thanks
    Thanked 1,091 Times in 570 Posts

Default Quantar Manuals

This is the hard-to-find Quantar Instruction Manual, it contains installation, theory and basic service info. It's not the even harder-to-find Service Manual, nor is it the impossible-to-find Quantar Depot Service Manual. I don't think either is available in PDF form, if I'm wrong, maybe someone can upload either one. The Service Manual is about 4" thick and shows up on e-Bay for about $40-$60 or so, the Depot Service Manual has actual module schematics, is 7" thick, and you will see one on e-Bay very rarely but every so often for about $100-$200. If you see one on e-Bay, grab it, it's a rare gem - the part number is 68P81088E90-F.

68P81095E05-B Quantar Instruction Manual
    6881085E35-AL Quantar RSS Manual
    68P81096E11-O Quantar_-__Sam_Board
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

hxjx (Jan 25, 2018)

Thanks

Seems that wiscomm has the Service Manual, PN 6881088E90 (note theres no P in the 3rd character, However its $250.. wth shipping to my location its $350.. out of my range unfortunately.

Thanks

Seems especially high since list price from Motorola is $219. There are many generations of that manual, mostly just block diagrams and schematics of specific boards. Is there one schematic in particular you are looking for?

Thanks

Yes - specifically the schematics of the power supply (I can get the model number later) howevr the whole thing would be very handy to have around!

Thanks

Send me the TPN-xxxx number and description of the power supply. If I can find the sheets, I will try to scan them and send them to you. (might be next week when I return to work - they are large pages and using a tabloid size scanner helps).

Thanks

There may be some bad news on the Power Supplies. They are OEM assemblies outsourced from other companies like Onan (the 1st gen ones) and later ones are made by someone else OEM for Motorola. I looked in my buddy's BIG (the 88E90 one with schematics) and there were no power supply module schematics. I'll double check m manuals if I can find them in the next day or two, and double check that.

If they are OEM and made of Unobtainum, perhaps contacting the OEM companies like Onan might yield some results, but I doubt it - they are probably produced under non-disclosure contract so they can't divulge any details about the OEM assy. to the public.

Thanks

BTW, I have no idea what the deal is with the disappearing "P" in the part numbers... The ones I quoted were actually READ from the manuals themselves. It seems that they interchangeably use part numbers with and without the "P". I guess whether or not you take a "P" is optional, but a wise man told me to never pass up an opportunity.

Thanks

Good News, Everyone! - There ARE in fact schematics of the new OEM power supplies in the BIG book. Mine does seem to have all the power supply module schematics and board layouts. As khw said, if you can get me the specific P/N I will try to scan what I have for you. There are about 4-5 different ones in the manual, too much work to copy all of them but I will get a specific one you need. My scanner is 9x14, so I will try to do the big sheets as best I can.

Thanks

Brilliant! I'll come back with a part number, and hopefully someone can dig up a schema for me!

Thanks

OK, the PSU that I have is CPN1048A. If anyone can provide schematics that would be tops!

Cheers,
    Matt

Thanks

Okay, 625 Watt power supply with battery revert. As I recall the schematics are listed by the board and their function (ie; the AC portion of the supply vs. the DC portion). I will have to open a spare power supply to identify and will try to find the diagrams. I assume that you're having trouble with the AC supply? If so, have you tried to power the station via DC, it will often work even if the AC doesn't?

Thanks

The Quantar cage doesn't have the battery revert cable, and in any case theres no DC power available in the shack. The fault was traced to a power MOSFET in the inverter that went short circuit, but we need the schemas for the full unit in order to determine what else might have died as a result of the faulty transistor.

What sort of connector does the battery revert cable need to plug into the back of the PSU?

Thanks

The battery revert connector is a small pc board that sticks out the back of the power supply. Looking at the back of the PS, it is to the right of the backplane connector.

I believe I found the part numbers for the three boards in the power supply:

AC to DC Converter Board (CPN6065B)
    DC to DC Converter Board (CPN6067A)
    Battery Charger/Revert Board (CPN6074B)

Let me look tomorrow and see if I can find the schematics. I thought I had a spare CPN1048 here at home, but I have CPN1047, CPN1049 and CPN1050 - figures!

Thanks

You are in luck! It turns out I have 2 blown-up CPN1048's also! I looked inside, and khw is correct about the board numbers. The manual has schematics, layouts and parts lists for them, but apparently one of the CPN6074B schematics is missing from my manual (sheet 3 of 4), but otherwise it has everything you need.

I scanned them at 200 dpi, taking about 4-6 scans per foldout page. Then, I used a wonderful free utility called Hugin (panorama picture software) to stitch the scans together into one full-size TIFF file per foldout sheet. Then I used another free utility called BullZip PDF Printer to "print" the TIFF's into PDF's.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

hxjx (Jan 25, 2018),Mars (Sep 28, 2017),Rudolf-W. (Jul 05, 2015)

Thanks

Fantastic, thanks very much for your time and effort. These particular PSUs are very prone to failure so I am sure that those scans will find use in the community!!

Thanks again mate!
    Last edited by MattSR; Jun 06, 2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling as usual

Thanks

Hey no problem! I agree, as I said, I have 2 on my bench right now, so I myself will be using them immediately!

What doesn't seem to be documented are the older ONAN supplies. But then, I haven't taken them apart yet, maybe they have the same boards inside as the later ones, but I haven't looked (or needed to) yet. I also have 2 of them but fortunately they still are OK, which is ironic - all the old ones are OK and the newer and supposedly more reliable ones are dead.

Thanks

Here is the latest revision Quantar Manuals. They were recently re-posted on MOL. I believe these are newer that what was previously posted here as well...

6881095E05-D Quantar Instruction Manual
    6881085E35-AN_QUANTAR_QUANTRO_Radio_Service_Software_Instruct ion_Manual

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha For This Useful Post:

hxjx (Jan 25, 2018)

newtomotorola No Longer Registered

22. The Following User Says Thank You to newtomotorola For This Useful Post:

hxjx (Jan 25, 2018)