Thread: MDC on my MTS2000 ?

Mark No Longer Registered

Default MDC on my MTS2000 ?

Hi, I'm a newbie and a Ham, and i think its a long shot, but i picked up a few MTS2000's (no keypad version)
    as i have been messing around with MDC on the GP300s and would like to use MDC on these MTS2000. I Know
    its a flashport option, and tried those online flashport decoders, and didn't see MDC mentioned, but it was a little
    bit over my head at present. The RSS doesn't seem to allow any signalling when programming the sets, so i assume
    no MDC. and as i'm a humble Ham, not a rich businessman, it'll not be affordable to buy the option.
    I hoped it may be a standard feature like in the GP300s, I'm interested in 5 tone, MDC and all other types of signalling
    and want to experiment with them, am i wasting my time trying to add some types of signalling to these MTS2000 i wonder ?
    - it looks like all this flashport stuff has it all locked down, sadly the HTs are ok though for general Ham use as is, though.

Any suggestions ?

Mark

Thanks

since the uinits you have dont have the option enabled you be able to locate a codeplug with the MDC option and program that into the radios. You will need to d a bit of reading about srecord writing to get familiar with what you need to do.

interesting - i statred reading up on programming, and came across s records, but it was one of many things i need to understand
    before i even think about bricking these nice little HTs - my mate pointed me to a Batlabs posting on much the same subject, it seems
    a mtx controller in the set is a prerequisite, and, as i'm a newbie to flashport stuff i'm not going to rush in....
    Thanx .. Notorola
    Mark

Thanks

NP Mark. I little info to get you started. A srecord is basically an unencryptied hex file of the codeplug. This file contains all the operating parameters of the radio (model, s/n, freqs, options and features etc.). in the legacy radios (MTSX, maxtrac etc) you can use a leaked program called MTSX lab to dump a srecord from one radio into another. The general thing to be sure of is model compatability since the program makes no checks. Once the new codeplug is installed you may or may not have to update the flash to add in firmware support for a feature added to the radio.

One other thing on the MTSX (MTS2000) radios some controller boeards only support certain feature sets or options. Oh and look into issues like CPS/RSS version numbers this can be important when loading in a CPS codeplug.

Thanks again Notorola Thats just the sort of info, in one paragraph which contains more concise and useful info than i have found by spending several hours jumping around the web for several sessions. Great !

All points noted and i can see, still, that caution is the order of the day, as i had to basicallt throw a nice Mobile UHF Kenwood set away after a PC error corrupted the codeplug & rendered the thing a bookend.

I shall find MTSX lab as it sounds like it may come in handy, i have seen it mentioned, but until now, i was unsure about why exactly it would be used. Now it makes sense. And i know some other Motorola stuff, while externally looking the same, can have quite different control boards in. knowing the MTS2000 has too may save questions or headscratching later on.

i'm interested in seeing just what the MTS2000 can do. Understood about RSS/CPS versioning too, I think my mate mentioned the radios are earlier than our CPS or RSS i think, so we think this is ok for now. We shall identify the controller boards at some stage then, which sounds like the next step. But happy enough with the sets for 70cms use.

Thankyou very much Notorola for taking the time to help out..

A Great Help

Mark

Thanks

you probably have a RSS programmed unit. The MTSX lab you want is versions 2.00.01 and 3.00.02. You should also try and locate earlier RSS versions of the program. I recommend reading your radio with the earliest version of RSS you can (a version that does not give the "too new" prompt). you can always update the codeplug version but sometimes having a early codplug is extremly valuable.

the current versions of RSS are 6.08.00 (last dos based program released) and v2.03.00 CPS (windows).

Thanks

Please be aware of the Toolproof error when using Lab software with an MTS radio.

Thanks Notorola ... have made notes & saved that. One set had trunking in. Just picked another up today, seems to be labelled under the battery slightly differently, i'm thinking its from a different original user, or batch maybe. hope we find a couple that have different controller boards.
    Will set about finding files, but no rush, as theres plenty of reading to be done at present

Yrs, i read about that rescue161 .. but i'll double check my info anyway.. i'm expecting to see several errors on the way !

PS: forgot to ask, why would having an earlier codeplug be valuable Notorola, & we're aware of the Batlabs quoted method for backing up a codeplug, to recover from a toolproof lockout ..

Thanks

The tool proof is one reason. The other is that if you have a dos codeplug and its the same version as a labtool you can play with the lab settings a lot easier since you can load directly to the radio.

Thanks

Just hit the side button 5 times to get the FW version. If you are below 5.42, then you can safely use lab.

rod farva No Longer Registered

The safe way is to have the flashcode changed with a legit upgrade, I do have a box of old flash upgrades for MDC that are still here in my workbench and I believe I have 1 or 2 left, PM me and I will see what I can do for you...

Thanks Notorola ... Understood & apologies for the delay in replying ...
    -Mark-

Yes, we're mostly on 5.44 this is read from the RSS - I'm a bass player & still cant tickle the the darn button to trigger the test mode *every* time..

Interesting Rod .. Tnx